Round 2, Vote 14 (HOH Top Centers)

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I personally never felt that I was watching one of the top 50 of all time during Sundin's career. Too many years where Sundin was just one of the crowd amongst top end forwards.

I really think it's time to seriously consider why he seemed that way to you, because he started off as a 1st overall pick who came into the league like an offensive house on fire and a force internationally, before having to adapt to the realities of the role and responsibilities he was saddled with during one of the hardest eras to score in NHL history. Just too much weight for one guy to carry, leading you to conclude that he didn't shine brightly enough through offensive numbers to look back at... even though his offensive numbers at the time still rank among those of the 10 most offensively productive (and potent, even, tying back into the PPG thing) players of the era.

Sundin likely would have been one of the most coveted players in the league at virtually any time along the way if a trade or threat to explore free agency had actually become anything close to a potential reality. And, in fact, he was paid as such as well, right up to his retirement year at age 36/37 when he was still commanding(/earning) an absolutely top dollar contract.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Jacques Lemaire

Zettenberg won 2 Nhl Awards to Lemaire 0.Zettenberg pts per game is on par with Lemaire.Lemaire never led club once in assists which is hard if you cosider him elite.In 72-73 Jacques did lead team in scoring in 72-73 with 95 pts and yes in final play-offs in 1979 he tied with lafleur in league play-off scoring.But a very good example I will give is in 1979 Jacques was hurt for over 25 games despite that Lafleur had 129 pts and led team in scoring by 52 pts.

Overlooking that the two previous seasons with a healthy Jacques Lemaire, Guy Lafleur scored 132 and 136 points or an average of 134 points. in 1979 Bryan Trottier won the Art Ross with exactly 134 points.

Looks like Jacques Lemaire helped Guy Lafleur's offense more than you realize or are willing to admit.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Jacques Lemaire vs Guy Lafleur-1976-77.Jacques-75 pts and 41 assists.Guy-136 pts and 80 assists.1977-78-Jacques-97 pts and 61 assists.Guy-132 pts and 72 assists.1978-79-Jacques 55 pts and 31 assists.Guy-129 pts and 77 assists.1979-80-Guy Lafleur 125 pts and 75 assists without Jacques.Am I missing something.In 3 yrs they played together-Lafleur had 171 pts more and 96 assists more.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Paid attention to your arguments - seriously undervalue Syd Howe and other players able to play Center and another position with strong offense and very responsible defense.

The comparables you introduce always reduce to counting awards and honours out of context.

Awards and honours? In what way? You may have me mistaken for someone else, because the further down we’ve gotten in this project the more I have focused on the actual production levels of the players involved, treating things like harts and all-star teams as situational and symptomatic of their production.

You raise Dave Keon as a comparable. Other than extreme circumstances, Keon only played center. Did it very well but at no time did he give his team two roster player flexibility like Syd Howe, Alex Delvecchio, Jacques Lemaire did or Henrik Zetterberg does. Sittler offered glimpses of this value in the 1976 CC, Sundin a bit with the Nordiques but neither sustained the diversity. Sadly having the ability to play two positions is a negative when it comes to honours and awards voting so Syd Howe, Alex Delvecchio, Jacques Lemaire, etc were short changed.

So your contention is that a vastly inferior offensive player who cannot be demonstrated as superior defensively can be better simply because his coach also occasionally used him at LW?

So the comparable that matters in this round offensively is Lemaire vs Zetterberg and Lemaire had a slight edge offensively.

You must be the only one who thinks Lemaire had a slight edge on Zetterberg defensively. After adjustments for era, Lemaire’s a good 9% behind Zetterberg as an offensive producer, and that’s with Lafleur’s help.

That media, fans or pundits cannot or could not until recently, appreciate two position players reflects on them and not the talent of the players.The players you list in you 700 game comparable are basically one position players, one dimensional for the most part.

I absolutely realize the players I named are mostly one dimensional players.

However, being a two-dimensional player does not automatically make one a better player than a one-dimensional player. If these guys are so far ahead of Lemaire offensively that his modest defensive contribution doesn’t bridge the gap, that’s a hurdle for him to overcome in arguments. These offensive differences are not small. The two players he’s closest to aren’t hard to argue ahead of him:

- Brind’Amour: better producer with less linemate help, far superior defensively, also had LW ability, legendary faceoff prowess, cup winning captain, nearly double the career length
- Nieuwendyk: better producer, very goals heavy, legendary faceoff prowess, won 3 cups with 3 teams (rare for the era), better career value, also “somewhat†of a two-way player in retrospect

Then you get to guys like Sedin and Roenick, 10% better producers than the Brind’Amour/Nieuwendyk class, and we might be at the point where his slight two-way edge and LW ability stops mattering…

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Missing Something

Jacques Lemaire vs Guy Lafleur-1976-77.Jacques-75 pts and 41 assists.Guy-136 pts and 80 assists.1977-78-Jacques-97 pts and 61 assists.Guy-132 pts and 72 assists.1978-79-Jacques 55 pts and 31 assists.Guy-129 pts and 77 assists.1979-80-Guy Lafleur 125 pts and 75 assists without Jacques.Am I missing something.In 3 yrs they played together-Lafleur had 171 pts more and 96 assists more.

Yes you are. The fact that they were playing together not competing.

Or from another perspective how much does Lafleur score playing with Jarvis or Risebrough? Lemaire showed that he could score 90+ without Lafleur. Yet Lafleur had his highest point seasons with Lemaire and no other center.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
One could argue your point the other side could say if Peter Maholovich had played with lafleur maybe stats would be better.Jacques was a better player than Peter but if you look at assists that Peter had in 74-75 and 75-76 it led team.But I guess Scotty Bowman did not like Peters game and got rid of him.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Your Data

Awards and honours? In what way? You may have me mistaken for someone else, because the further down we’ve gotten in this project the more I have focused on the actual production levels of the players involved, treating things like harts and all-star teams as situational and symptomatic of their production.

So your contention is that a vastly inferior offensive player who cannot be demonstrated as superior defensively can be better simply because his coach also occasionally used him at LW?

You must be the only one who thinks Lemaire had a slight edge on Zetterberg defensively. After adjustments for era, Lemaire’s a good 9% behind Zetterberg as an offensive producer, and that’s with Lafleur’s help.

I absolutely realize the players I named are mostly one dimensional players.

However, being a two-dimensional player does not automatically make one a better player than a one-dimensional player. If these guys are so far ahead of Lemaire offensively that his modest defensive contribution doesn’t bridge the gap, that’s a hurdle for him to overcome in arguments. These offensive differences are not small. The two players he’s closest to aren’t hard to argue ahead of him:

- Brind’Amour: better producer with less linemate help, far superior defensively, also had LW ability, legendary faceoff prowess, cup winning captain, nearly double the career length
- Nieuwendyk: better producer, very goals heavy, legendary faceoff prowess, won 3 cups with 3 teams (rare for the era), better career value, also “somewhat†of a two-way player in retrospect

Then you get to guys like Sedin and Roenick, 10% better producers than the Brind’Amour/Nieuwendyk class, and we might be at the point where his slight two-way edge and LW ability stops mattering…

Sadly you have not because you continue to ignore the impact of a center playing in a two, three or four line rotation or a derivative of the same.

Your data and analysis assume they all played in an identical rotation. They did not. So the data you generate or use has this flaw.

Second flaw is that your data assumes that Centers and LW score at the same rate. They do not. So against centers the offensive numbers look slightly weaker yet against LWs are unknown. Seems you failed to consider them or adjust accordingly?

Third flaw is your use of the Lafleur impact. Only significant time Lemaire spent with Lafleur was after the Pete Mahovlich for Pierre Larouche trade, slightly over two seasons when injury time is factored out. His time at center outside the brief Lafleur phase was spent with Yvan Cournoyer and part of the center rotation with Frank Mahovlish, who during this phase had his two most productive NHL seasons, just like Lafleur did when playing significant time with Lemaire.

Fourth flaw is that you only consider the regular season stats for the above average centers you interject. Most dropped significantly come playoff time. Brind'Amour as an example, dropped close to 20% below his regular season performance which was about .80 PPG. Only two worth considering based on their playoff record are Lemaire and Zetterberg. Lemaire marginally better than RS. Both have a post season where they led the POs in goal scoring and points.

The gap between Zetterberg and Lemaire is close. Most of it comes down to evaluating time at LW and team impact.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Overlooking that the two previous seasons with a healthy Jacques Lemaire, Guy Lafleur scored 132 and 136 points or an average of 134 points. in 1979 Bryan Trottier won the Art Ross with exactly 134 points.

Looks like Jacques Lemaire helped Guy Lafleur's offense more than you realize or are willing to admit.

Is this suppose to be a serious response?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I really think it's time to seriously consider why he seemed that way to you, because he started off as a 1st overall pick who came into the league like an offensive house on fire and a force internationally, before having to adapt to the realities of the role and responsibilities he was saddled with during one of the hardest eras to score in NHL history. Just too much weight for one guy to carry, leading you to conclude that he didn't shine brightly enough through offensive numbers to look back at... even though his offensive numbers at the time still rank among those of the 10 most offensively productive (and potent, even, tying back into the PPG thing) players of the era.

Likely the relatively low per-game value as determined by the eyeball test. I saw Sundin as a guy who showed up and got his point on a nightly basis. Not a player opponents feared or found it difficult to play against. Sundin was never going to go out and take the bull by the horns.

Similar centers would be Doug Weight, Jason Allison, Brad Richards. Guys who ended up with nice numbers and were certainly very good 1st line centers, but were never known as game-breaking players or struck fear into opponents. Obviously Sundin dwarfs them in career value.

Sundin likely would have been one of the most coveted players in the league at virtually any time along the way if a trade or threat to explore free agency had actually become anything close to a potential reality. And, in fact, he was paid as such as well, right up to his retirement year at age 36/37 when he was still commanding(/earning) an absolutely top dollar contract.

Judging a player based on salary is a terrible method of comparison. Should I anticipate Bobby Holik appearing in the Top 60?

But I guess if we're going to play the salary game, those three guys I mentioned above all got similarly bloated contracts that raised eyebrows, and likewise led their teams nowhere.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Lemaire being the #1 Center on a team many consider hockey's greatest dynasty is really getting overlooked IMO.

Off the top of my head, essentially every other #1 C on either a dynasty team or a multi-Cup team that came close has been voted onto the list already by you guys. Exceptions are Toews (active player with only 6 seasons under his belt), McGee (up for voting, played 110 years ago), and Trihey (even older than McGee). Lemaire doesn't have the incomplete career or questionable competition level due to a developing sport arguments going against him. He'd be a pretty surprising omission if you look at it that way.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Rubbish. Nutrition has improved hugely over the past 100 years, which is precisely the reason why players are so much bigger these days. Trust me, an average 3-4" increase in the height of adult men over the past century is not a product of evolution. There is no question that our diets today, and our knowledge of what constitutes a good diet and why, are vastly better than they were in the 1910's. There are going to be exceptions on either end, but there is no question that, compared to past generations, the average player today benefits from improvements in nutrition and sports science. The fact that there may be exceptions to a rule does not make the rule invalid or irrelevant; fallacious is one of the nicer words I would use to describe this type of argument.

You are misinterpreting the argument here, the original question was if current guys have some kind of advantage. I have kids who are teens and am fully aware of the size differences over time. the thing is if all players take advantage of this "extra advantage" is quickly isn't an advantage against ones peers is it?

With respect to all but the infancy of the sport, this just reeks of misinformation. You think the junior and minor league feeder systems are something new? Back in the day - like say the 1920's - there were only around 8 teams in the league most years (it fluctuated a bit) and basically only the starters (first liners) got meaningful scoring opportunities. Great players like Pit Lepine and Cecil Dillon ended up stuck on lower units for the greater part of their primes because they couldn't replace the superstars ahead of them (in their cases Morenz and Cook).

this always takes place players come up have to displace the current ones, you have shed zero light on the feeder systems of the time. I don't know much about them but the impression I get, from limited reading and I will investigate more, is that hockey under the highest levels was more akin to shinny than training and an organized thing. the actual numbers of players playing at a certain level and above over time hasn't been stagnant yet this insistence that all eras be treated the same (or pretty much the same ) continues which is ridiculous in any fair assessment of players through out time.

the obvious example is the Canadian standard which has always existed yet is virtually ignored here (for obvious reasons of supposedly favoring more modern guys when in fact it attempts to make a fair playing field for all players along a time continuum.

Frankly if one wants to hold the notion that "the best have always been the best, then the same principle must apply to the best canadians have always been the best Canadians, thus a standard to judge players agaisnt, as well right?

Wut? How, exactly, do you know that there are more serious injuries now than there were a long time ago? I don't get the impression that you know much about the eras you are attempting to criticize here.

Just take a look at the 90's and beyond with higher rates of contact and bigger bodies colliding at faster speeds, surely it doesn't take a study to see the general pattern does it?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Kyle, you're way off on Sundin. He was absolutely more impactful than any of those others you named. He was a decent defensive player and his points were no more likely to be empty and meaningless than anyone else. I remember countless occasions when he came through for the Leafs in a big way. Sometimes it seemed that every time a big goal was scored, he had something to do with it. He made believers out of just about every single person I knew who spent the first few years of his Leafs tenure grumbling about how we traded our captain and good Saskatchewan boy to acquire him. This is exactly the right round for him to be voted in. If all you're doing is providing the counterargument to "I can't believe he's not voted in yet" then feel free to carry on. But compared to this current class of players, he's a stud.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Likely the relatively low per-game value as determined by the eyeball test. I saw Sundin as a guy who showed up and got his point on a nightly basis. Not a player opponents feared or found it difficult to play against. Sundin was never going to go out and take the bull by the horns.

Yeah, this is the look of a guy who never gave it his all every night trying to will some terrible Leafs squads toward the playoffs:
10-mats-sundin.jpg

mats_sundin_eye.jpg

I think you somehow watched a very different Mats Sundin than the rest of us. He was probably the only Leaf over a very long stretch of time that even got matched-up on, or game planned around. He was also the guy that the Leafs used the most over that time to match-up or game plan with over the same time.

There are advanced stats (all the Corsi stuff, etc) that go back as far as Sundin's last days as a Leaf, btw. Take a look at those, and realize that those numbers (such as having among, if not the, best GF/GA on/off per 60 and SF/SA on/off per 60 ratios on the team while facing the toughest competition of any forward on his team I believe, and that's in his 2nd last NHL season. He was even more of a monster in his prime, as any other fan of a division rival at the time will certainly attest.

Similar centers would be Doug Weight, Jason Allison, Brad Richards. Guys who ended up with nice numbers and were certainly very good 1st line centers, but were never known as game-breaking players or struck fear into opponents. Obviously Sundin dwarfs them in career value.

Yup, either bizzaro world or some insignificantly small sample size of some kind. Somehow "dwarfing" a guy in career value (by your own assessment) who played until he was 40 himself, and another guy who will come close, both of whom even have a Cup ring, isn't ringing alarm bells when it comes to your reasoning?

Judging a player based on salary is a terrible method of comparison. Should I anticipate Bobby Holik appearing in the Top 60?

But I guess if we're going to play the salary game, those three guys I mentioned above all got similarly bloated contracts that raised eyebrows, and likewise led their teams nowhere.

Surely you're not going to tunnel vision focus on that instead of simply adding it to the list of considerations like any other piece of "context". I understand how it would make the process easier to patently ignore the whole thing altogether, but your impression of Sundin seems to be the farthest "out of line" that I've noticed so far, so it's something you might want to at least partly consider.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Lemaire being the #1 Center on a team many consider hockey's greatest dynasty is really getting overlooked IMO.

Off the top of my head, essentially every other #1 C on either a dynasty team or a multi-Cup team that came close has been voted onto the list already by you guys. Exceptions are Toews (active player with only 6 seasons under his belt), McGee (up for voting, played 110 years ago), and Trihey (even older than McGee). Lemaire doesn't have the incomplete career or questionable competition level due to a developing sport arguments going against him. He'd be a pretty surprising omission if you look at it that way.

"Number one centre" implies a certain degree of importance or status in the team's pecking order. However, Lemaire was not as important to the team as that status implies. He was behind Dryden, lafleur, Robinson, savard and Lapointe at least, and some would say Shutt, Cournoyer and Gainey as well.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Kyle, you're way off on Sundin. He was absolutely more impactful than any of those others you named. He was a decent defensive player and his points were no more likely to be empty and meaningless than anyone else. I remember countless occasions when he came through for the Leafs in a big way. Sometimes it seemed that every time a big goal was scored, he had something to do with it. He made believers out of just about every single person I knew who spent the first few years of his Leafs tenure grumbling about how we traded our captain and good Saskatchewan boy to acquire him. This is exactly the right round for him to be voted in. If all you're doing is providing the counterargument to "I can't believe he's not voted in yet" then feel free to carry on. But compared to this current class of players, he's a stud.

Could not agree more.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Peter Mahovlich

One could argue your point the other side could say if Peter Maholovich had played with lafleur maybe stats would be better.Jacques was a better player than Peter but if you look at assists that Peter had in 74-75 and 75-76 it led team.But I guess Scotty Bowman did not like Peters game and got rid of him.

Pete Mahovlich's knees were shot by 1976.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

For the record, I don't think Sundin would look out of place being voted in at this point. But there are several candidates available for voting that have reasonable arguments to be placed ahead of him, as well as a few guys yet to be made available, so claiming it's a travesty that he's fallen this far is way off base IMO.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think you somehow watched a very different Mats Sundin than the rest of us. He was probably the only Leaf over a very long stretch of time that even got matched-up on, or game planned around. He was also the guy that the Leafs used the most over that time to match-up or game plan with over the same time.

It does not surprise me in the least that teams would game plan around their opponent's best player. This is a very basic strategy.

There are advanced stats (all the Corsi stuff, etc) that go back as far as Sundin's last days as a Leaf, btw. Take a look at those, and realize that those numbers (such as having among, if not the, best GF/GA on/off per 60 and SF/SA on/off per 60 ratios on the team while facing the toughest competition of any forward on his team I believe, and that's in his 2nd last NHL season. He was even more of a monster in his prime, as any other fan of a division rival at the time will certainly attest.

Again, it seems thoroughly unremarkable that the guy with the best GF/GA numbers, etc. would just so happen to be the best player on the team.

Yup, either bizzaro world or some insignificantly small sample size of some kind. Somehow "dwarfing" a guy in career value (by your own assessment) who played until he was 40 himself, and another guy who will come close, both of whom even have a Cup ring, isn't ringing alarm bells when it comes to your reasoning?

Dwarfing them in career value is why he is a reasonable inclusion on a top 60 list. But I also find it reasonable that a player who in my eyes failed to separate himself from guys like Doug Weight and equivalent players over the course of a number of seasons (ie - he was not a top 20 player in the game) would not be included in a top 60 either.

Surely you're not going to tunnel vision focus on that instead of simply adding it to the list of considerations like any other piece of "context". I understand how it would make the process easier to patently ignore the whole thing altogether, but your impression of Sundin seems to be the farthest "out of line" that I've noticed so far, so it's something you might want to at least partly consider.

You brought up salary, not me. Just pointing out that other players I considered Sundin's equals (and that pretty much everyone else considers worse) received similar contracts.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Sadly you have not because you continue to ignore the impact of a center playing in a two, three or four line rotation or a derivative of the same.

Your data and analysis assume they all played in an identical rotation. They did not. So the data you generate or use has this flaw.

OK, I suppose the point you’re trying to make is that some sort of adjustment should be made to Lemaire’s points relative to the other players’ points. Please elaborate on why and how much.

Second flaw is that your data assumes that Centers and LW score at the same rate. They do not. So against centers the offensive numbers look slightly weaker yet against LWs are unknown. Seems you failed to consider them or adjust accordingly?

It’s true that centers tend to score more than LWs. However, centers tend to be the better players to begin with, and that explains a lot of it. However, I think that it’s true that the same player playing entirely LW is going to see somewhat lower scoring stats than in a season where they play entirely center. That said, the difference is not extremely meaningful if referring to a player who spent perhaps 15% of his time at LW and the rest at center.

Has anyone attempted to quantify and demonstrate the points “spike†caused by playing center? I’m not denying that the correlation is not there, but it does not appear to be large. It would be an important thing to know for the wingers project, as some players with seasons at center could get overvalued in comparisons against strict wingers.

Third flaw is your use of the Lafleur impact. Only significant time Lemaire spent with Lafleur was after the Pete Mahovlich for Pierre Larouche trade, slightly over two seasons when injury time is factored out. His time at center outside the brief Lafleur phase was spent with Yvan Cournoyer and part of the center rotation with Frank Mahovlish, who during this phase had his two most productive NHL seasons, just like Lafleur did when playing significant time with Lemaire.

I don’t think anyone is debating that a lesser skilled, “utility†player can have a positive impact on an offensive superstar. In fact, recent studies have proven that “glue guys†like Burrows, Hartnell and Downie have made their more talented linemates better when on the ice with them than without. But the fact remains that players like this do pick up a large surplus of points by virtue of being on the ice with more talented players, and Lemaire is no exception to this. In determining his offensive value, some attention has to be given to who his linemates are. That said, he comes out at the bottom of my offensive analysis even before making such a consideration.

Fourth flaw is that you only consider the regular season stats for the above average centers you interject. Most dropped significantly come playoff time. Brind'Amour as an example, dropped close to 20% below his regular season performance which was about .80 PPG. Only two worth considering based on their playoff record are Lemaire and Zetterberg. Lemaire marginally better than RS. Both have a post season where they led the POs in goal scoring and points.

Of course I agree that playoff performance is an important consideration. However, looking at whether a player’s production rose or fell in the playoffs is not always the litmus test for this. Some eras saw an across-the-board drop in scoring from the regular season that was more drastic than others. One era even featured a rise in scoring. Some playoff eras were more imbalanced than others. And dynasty players tended to play a ton of winning games (in which their team, and by extension, they, tended to score more). Although Lemaire was a strong playoff performer, comparing his playoff to RS ratio to these other players on its own doesn’t prove that he was better in this regard, and especially not that he was “better enough†to make up for the large regular season gap.

(by the way, Brind’Amour dropped 13% from the regular season to the playoffs (not 20%), which is pretty strong for the era, and played the majority of his playoff games on an underdog team against stronger teams than he typically played in the regular season)

The gap between Zetterberg and Lemaire is close. Most of it comes down to evaluating time at LW and team impact.

It’s not close. Zetterberg was a 9% better offensive producer with less talented linemates, better defensively, even more versatile, and just as strong in the playoffs – with a smythe.

tarheelhockey

Offside Review Specialist
Feb 12, 2010
Bojangles Parking Lot
Voted, and I just want to say I greatly enjoyed the work that Sturminator and TDMM put into researching and analyzing the early players this round. The Lemaire articles were also a fun and informative read.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
It does not surprise me in the least that teams would game plan around their opponent's best player. This is a very basic strategy.

Yes, that's the basic starting point. You're supposed to be able to pick up the ball from there and grab the concept of how that trickles down depending on the depth/support on your team - especially if measuring in terms of time spans like "season", "prime", or longer.

Again, it seems thoroughly unremarkable that the guy with the best GF/GA numbers, etc. would just so happen to be the best player on the team.

Unremarkable... Best player playing against the best competition, with little/no support cast (particularly relative to the guys he's actually being compared to in this project), at age 37. What's to be impressed about, right?

Dwarfing them in career value is why he is a reasonable inclusion on a top 60 list. But I also find it reasonable that a player who in my eyes failed to separate himself from guys like Doug Weight and equivalent players over the course of a number of seasons (ie - he was not a top 20 player in the game) would not be included in a top 60 either.

Well, I guess I'm with the other guys voicing the opinion here that yes, your eyes failed. Wait, that's not exactly what you said, was it. :sarcasm: I still maintain that you should have been hearing alarm bells if you read your own reasoning there.

You brought up salary, not me. Just pointing out that other players I considered Sundin's equals (and that pretty much everyone else considers worse) received similar contracts.

Yes, I brought it up. After a great many other things. Predictably you're trying to direct attention to it instead of literally everything else, which I'd just expect you to accept as "submitted" at this point (like everything else), but like I predicted this is turning out to not be the case. I don't share your tunnel vision on the importance of this aspect, but then again I think he earned just about every contract dollar he ever got (let alone for the period of the DPE, which I would say he easily earned).

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Interpretation

"Number one centre" implies a certain degree of importance or status in the team's pecking order. However, Lemaire was not as important to the team as that status implies. He was behind Dryden, lafleur, Robinson, savard and Lapointe at least, and some would say Shutt, Cournoyer and Gainey as well.

Jacques Lemaire played twelve NHL regular seasons.

For the stretch between dynasties 1969-70 thru 1974-75 he was the Canadiens leading scorer during the six season stretch:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

During the length of his 12 year NHL career he was 6th overall in NHL RS season scoring while leading the Canadiens:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

Yet you would like us to believe Jacques Lemaire was not important. Only players who outscored him and Bobby Clarke were full time or partial three rotation centers. Lemaire and Clarke looking at either window were the only four line rotation players. Mikita was about 1/2 as the Hawks changed.

Could you please illustrate where in hockey history, a player who leads his team in scoring over a stretch of twelve seasons is not important. Better yet, 6th in NHL scoring over a twelve regular season stretch is not good, important or contributing especially when the team as a benefit of his contributions happens to win 12 SCs?

overpass

Jun 7, 2007

Yeah, in Leafs-Sens games Sundin saw a steady diet of Chara-Phillips. And Radek Bonk was the only centre after Yashin left who could physically match up against Sundin - guys like White, Smolinski, and Fisher just got pushed around down low. Sundin's combination of size and skill was very hard to play against.

Sundin got a lot of grief for not using his size, meaning he didn't throw enough hits. But size at centre was extremely important in the Eastern conference between the lockouts. Eric Lindros was probably a big reason for that, and the top teams in the conference all followed suit in emphasizing strength at C with players like like Brind'Amour, Primeau, Sundin, Yashin, Arnott, Thornton, etc. You needed a big, strong C to match up against these guys. Bobby Holik got $45 million to play that role. And after Lindros declined, Sundin was the most dangerous big C left in the East.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

at their 100% very best, i'd take brad richards over sundin. but that peak brad richards existed for only two months. but prime, peak that's longer than just one amazing playoff run, or career, i'd rather have sundin than weight, allison, or richards anyday. and yeah, i'd certainly take peak zetterberg over peak sundin, but i have sundin comfortably ahead overall.

but that said, i do disagree with ohashi that sundin came into the league "like an offensive house on fire." he came in pretty good. tied with ken hodge jr. in point in his rookie year, 16 behind what modano put up at the same age the previous year, 7 behind roenick's rookie total. kevin todd bested sundin's rookie numbers the year after. sundin cracks the top 20 in scoring once before '97 (11th in '93, when he rode that really great hot streak).

i think the sundin that belongs in the top 60 is the sundin of '97 to '08. that guy was money in the bank, and yes a prototypical center for his era. but i think pre '97 sundin was a lot like modano of the same years-- pretty one-dimensional and good, sometimes very good, but not great at that one dimension.

I don’t think anyone is debating that a lesser skilled, “utility†player can have a positive impact on an offensive superstar. In fact, recent studies have proven that “glue guys†like Burrows, Hartnell and Downie have made their more talented linemates better when on the ice with them than without. But the fact remains that players like this do pick up a large surplus of points by virtue of being on the ice with more talented players, and Lemaire is no exception to this. In determining his offensive value, some attention has to be given to who his linemates are. That said, he comes out at the bottom of my offensive analysis even before making such a consideration.

i'm assuming that no one is giving lemaire any extra points for his coaching career, and rightfully so because that fall well outside of reasonable expectations for a center. but i'm curious-- and i haven't followed this thread closely so i may have missed this discussion-- but what about lemaire's leadership and did he act as a mentor, maybe even quasi-coach, during the late 70s dynasty? i have no idea and have never heard any suggestions that would indicate this, but i wouldn't be surprised if it were true. can anyone chime in here? (C1958, i'm looking in your direction)

and seventies, i know you're not seriously suggesting that lemaire is in a category with burrows or hartnell or downie (downie???). but let's be real and at least use ron francis as the example here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00