Round 2, Vote 1 (2009 update)

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Fun SHG fact: from 1994/95 to 1997/98, Peter Bondra was on the ice for 30 PP goals by his opponents. Over the same time, he scored 19 shorthanded goals (and assisted on one other).

That's a crazy ratio. When Lemieux scored his 13 shorties, the opponents scored 60 times while he was on the ice. Gretzky's best was 12 vs. 31.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
In the early 80's, any forward who even made an attempt to stickcheck was a defensive forward in the Q.

Let's not try to rewrite history here, Mario was the most gifted offensive player of all time, he spent very little time or effort playing defense other than trying to keep the puck and outscore the other team.

Also SHG in the 80's is not the same as defensive play when referring to Wayne and Mario.

Really, how is goal scoring (even short-handed) equated with defensive play?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
On what planet was Lemieux better defensively than Gretzky? The anti Gretzky argument is quite ridiculous around here. There is no logical reason to have him out of the top 3, it's extremely difficult to make a case he isn't number 1.

Gordie had the better career than Gretzky, but Gretzky didn't have the better career than Orr or Mario? sure thing. You Gretzky haters are embarrassing. Number 4, lol. Anyone who puts Wayne number 4 should never be allowed to post again, it shows a little lack of understanding what's gone on and takes credibility away from any of your other posts.

I thought this was a discussion of who was the better player?

I agree with you that Gretzky had a better career. But I think Lemieux and Orr were better hockey players than Gretzky.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It's not IMO, I'm only referring to the Gilbert Perrault arguement that the best defense is a good offense arguement and the previous posters SHG comments.

Don't get me wrong. I was agreeing with you.

Mario and Gretzky scoring SHGs has nothing to do with their defensive ability, only with their offensive ability.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Anticipation

Really, how is goal scoring (even short-handed) equated with defensive play?

Anticipation required to generate offense is the same as anticipation required to play defense.Getting the puck or yourself to the proper situation to generate offense is no different than getting yourself to the proper situation to preclude the other team's offense.

Also proper offensive or defensive position gives a player an advantage when the roles are reversed.

Example on defense if the winger positions himself so that the opposing winger is between him and the boards then when the play reverses he has the advantage of being inside while his opponent is stuck between the boards and him trying to defend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad