Pre-Game Talk: Round 2 Talk - Bring on the Habs Part 2 WARNING-OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I'm curious to get a Bruins fan perspective- what concerns you most about the Habs? (And please don't say the officiating because it won't lead to anything constructive)

For me, on the flipside, I really don't know how the Habs are going to be able to control Lucic down low, and Chara's gargantuan frame parked in front of Price. I think typically they've tried to keep the game on the tamer side because Lucic (and many other Bruins) are at their best when emotions run high. But emotion is inevitable in a playoff setting.

For my boys to have a chance, they're going to have to figure out ways to get scoring chances without a point shot from Subban, since that's where teams love to focus on the PK. Vanek's been a letdown on the PP. Time for him to start shooting and sniping.

What concerns me is Weasel Plekanec running amok. Hopefully if he tries to use his stick on Krejci, Lucic will rip it out of his hands and jam it down his throat.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I personally think Thorty is getting a little long in the tooth and is pretty slow out there. I've also never seen a guy only have one hand on his stick as much as him.
That being said he deserves and has earned the right to start game 1. Then decide what to do in game 2

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Thornton has to play. He had a couple of rough moments in the Detroit series but brought leadership and he made some smart decisions and had a few scoring chances.

17-46-12
63-37-18
57-34-21
20-11-22

Roll with that until we need to change. Hopefully Kelly returns, then we will have to make a decision on Thornton.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Speed is huge on the forcheck, I don`t worry about the forwards matching speed. When the Merlot line is working, it`s 99.9 % of the time because Soupy (not fast but sneaky quick) or Paille have forced the D to try to move the puck quicker than usual.

I know speed is huge on the forecheck.

I guess I'm still looking for an explanation as to where people thought the 4th line was struggling to do that (because I didn't see that from that unit during the Wings series at all) and how the addition of speed will help to negate what some see was lacking in that area that would make it an advantage in a matchup over the Habs' bottom pairing/line.

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
I wonder if Markov is gonna continue to target Krejci like he did in the season series. Would love to see him get knocked into next week if he thinks hes gonna push our Krejci around.

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
Let's agree to disagree on Thornton. If he does play it won't be a great concern because he's obviously a great player, but I didn't like what I saw in Detroit as much as some of you.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I'm curious to get a Bruins fan perspective- what concerns you most about the Habs? (And please don't say the officiating because it won't lead to anything constructive)

For me, on the flipside, I really don't know how the Habs are going to be able to control Lucic down low, and Chara's gargantuan frame parked in front of Price. I think typically they've tried to keep the game on the tamer side because Lucic (and many other Bruins) are at their best when emotions run high. But emotion is inevitable in a playoff setting.

For my boys to have a chance, they're going to have to figure out ways to get scoring chances without a point shot from Subban, since that's where teams love to focus on the PK. Vanek's been a letdown on the PP. Time for him to start shooting and sniping.

I'm convinced the Habs can't beat the Bruins. But the Bruins can beat the Bruins. If Marchand and company take a lot of stupid penalties, don't bury open nets and a decent amount of odd man rushes, and don't skate hard, then they can lose this series. But if they play to their potential, there are very few teams out there that can beat them. I'd say only Chicago, and it would still be a coin toss.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I'd be shocked if they didn't play Thornton tomorrow. It's the first game in a series between two teams that loathe each other and have a history of things getting out of hand. When someone on the Habs needs to be dealt with I'd rather it be Thornton doing it and sitting for 10 rather than one of our more important players. When Chara and Lucic are the ones getting involved that's when we run into problems and end up on the losing side. The first game is often the wildest one with both sides trying to make a statement. Unless our 4th line/Thornton becomes a liability out there I don't see him sitting. His leadership is also important.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Seeing how B's played against Detroit, I am pretty sure they are wiser and prepared to get thru the Habs. I believe they won't let their emotions roll. As of right now, looking at media both sides, MTL is speaking a lot louder about their past encounters and how badly it ended.

They expect Lucic to go after Emelin but I am sure Lucic will do better and that. He would do like he did against Detroit, use his massive body to create circulation and block Price view and be able to put a few behind him.

Bruins played a big mental challenge in first round. Habs did not, they went very easy past Tampa and I doubt that did them any good. Just looking back at game 4, Detroit started the game like they were hungry to equalize the series. They played a hell of a 1st period and started the 2nd the same way. But Bruins didn't panic, they limited the damage and Rask was doing miracles in the net and they rallied after Krug net and ended up getting an amazing win.

And look back at what Price got : He let in 10 goals on 104 shots. Not bad. But if you look at the goals, they were nothing amazing. First game, all 4 goals are goals that the ''best goalie in the whole world'' should have and will have to stop if Habs wanna stand a chance going past Bruins.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
There's more to Thornton's game than on the ice. He's a leader, and elder statesman for the Bruins on and OFF the ice.

I say start out with Thornton, and keep Merlot together...he deserves to play.

nba_a_sthornts_300.jpg

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Would rather Caron be up on the 9th and Merlot be MERLOT. That 4th line is the best there is when they are together.

p.s. sonofmarshmont those are awesome

I'm with you. florek has looked solid on the third line. keep him there. and reunite merlot as merlot.Thornton is a leader regardless of his skills and I feel he has been very solid in these playoffs making smart plays.

EDIT have we heard anything about kelly coming back lately?

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
No clue, would rather have him sit the first few, see how this series is going, more, not less speed would be a good thing. Just don`t seeing this match up really needing a Thornton presence AND, we saw how he injected the boys when he took a few playoff games off a few years ago via healthy scratch

That would be a good idea. Caron is playing well and it would give the Campbell-Paille duo more speed. And if Mtl gets a game the refs give them many PP, Caron is there to help on the PK.

And by some unknown type of bad luck we lose game 1, then reassess if Thornton is a better idea... And if he is, you know he'll come back with a vengeance like he did in the Vancouver series.

Win-Win.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Let's agree to disagree on Thornton. If he does play it won't be a great concern because he's obviously a great player, but I didn't like what I saw in Detroit as much as some of you.

Thornton plays-especially if Pie is back because Thornton's speed isn't that big a deal-Thornton is dry good at putting the puck in a place where Paille can use his speed And get the puck in a cycle. Pie, Thornton and Soup play so well together they practically read each other's minds.

Thornton is a huge locker room guy as well.

murphys law

Apr 30, 2014
Game 5 ????

Any indication on when a game 5 would be played. It looks like games 3 and 4 will be in Montreal next Tues and Thurs. I have tickets to game 5 and really hoping it's on Saturday so I can bring my kids. Other wise they will be with their Mom for Mother's Day if the game is Sunday.

canoebears

Jul 11, 2007
salmon arm b,c,
Any indication on when a game 5 would be played. It looks like games 3 and 4 will be in Montreal next Tues and Thurs. I have tickets to game 5 and really hoping it's on Saturday so I can bring my kids. Other wise they will be with their Mom for Mother's Day if the game is Sunday.

game 5 will be sat. time is unknown though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad