Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 48, Carter Hart, G, Everett (WHL)

Brigid1011*

I think this is a good pick.
One of Mason or Neuvy is the starter moving on. Assume the other is dealt or leaves when UFA. Stolarz then gets exposed for expansion. Having a guy like Hart in the system softens the blow if Stolarz is selected. Lyon backs up the starter while Hart and the rest develop. When the starters deal is up you have Lyon and Hart ready to handle NHL duties

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Carter Hart Scouting Profile

I had Hart ranked as the number 2 goalie of the draft.

Hart possesses a pro-level amount of patience that forces shooters to make the first move. He’s the type of goalie that opposing coaches yell at their players to screen because straight on shots will just not work. What goalie coaches will love immediately about Carter Hart is his rebound control. More often than not he’ll either end up with possession or the puck will end up in the corner.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Meh. They didn't invest into goalies for decades before Hextall becam GM but the cupboard is stocked now and I would have preferred them taking another forward.

Plenty of solid goalies available in the later rounds and it's a crapshoot anyway. Not to mention proven starting goalies can be had on the trade market for second round picks nowadays...

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
This is the latest since 1986 that the first goalie is off the board. It's great value at that spot for a guy the Flyers believe is the best netminder in the draft.

The Flyers needed forwards. Four of the first five selections have been forwards. Hextall knows what he's doing.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
THN:

eoABPRc.png

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
nice pick with the goalie coach and development they could bring out the elite in him, if not we are stock piling a great goalie prospects. Wonder if hextall plans to use any of them in future trades to target a player if we need to make a stretch run or something along those lines.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
My only issue with taking a goalie with a 2nd is that his value is likely never going to increase...unless he becomes a legit starter....which would be great.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hart's stocked dropped because he's only 6'1 - but he doesn't turn 18 until August. If he grows an inch or two, and continues to develop, he could become an "elite goalie prospect" and a very nice piece of draft bait.

At worst, he should be a solid #2 goalie down the road, we've seen what happens when you don't have a #2 goalie - those 5-10 points you lose could have a big impact on either making the playoffs or positioning in the playoffs.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't really know if I'd say his stock dropped since he was the first goalie selected. He was often ranked as either the top or second best goalie by most rankings leading into the draft.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Likely the best available goalie in this years draft, why the hell not try it? Especially when we had three 2nd round picks, we were in comfortable position. I like this pick a lot. Hart seems to be very well spoken. Potential starting goalie for Team Canada at the WJC. The competition amongst the goalies is going to be incredible, such a deep pool that Hexy and co. have created.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I reported from attending prospect camp last season that Tomek performed poorly and seemed to have a negative demeanor. Showed frustration and let bad plays get to him. Sandstrom looked the opposite -- high class skill, speed, technique, and mental makeup.

It would not surprise me to see Tomek fall far down the chart and flame out following his injury.

As for Hart, he may have played for Everett, but his stats are simply stellar, and Hextall and Robinson know goaltending. Have to think his size in a league of towering netminders is what caused him to fall to 48. I'm in favor of their snapping up a goalie with big upside at that point in the draft (whereas I'd never take one in round one).

Reactions: Curufinwe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The failure rate for 1st rd goalies (outside of the top 5 picks) is much higher than any other position, but the importance of goalies is greater than any other position, so teams are forced to gamble.

It makes sense to stockpile good prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds rather than gamble a 1st rd pick which is close to a sure thing at other positions. If you figure all the draft picks the Flyers have used on goalies the past couple years might have gotten them to the back of the 1st round (the cumulative opportunity cost), they've followed a solid "safety in numbers" strategy. Hit on one quality starting goalie and in hindsight, that goalie is easily worth a 1st rd pick.

Reactions: Damaged Goods

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I reported from attending prospect camp last season that Tomek performed poorly and seemed to have a negative demeanor. Showed frustration and let bad plays get to him. Sandstrom looked the opposite -- high class skill, speed, technique, and mental makeup.

It would not surprise me to see Tomek fall far down the chart and flame out following his injury.
That's some character evaluation you were able to make from a single ice session of mid-summer hockey that isn't intended to be competitive.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
That's some character evaluation you were able to make from a single ice session of mid-summer hockey that isn't intended to be competitive.

Maybe Tomek was just having a bad week and Sandstrom a great one. But Tomek definitely showed the personality of a kid who pouts and kicks his mitt after making an error in baseball, and clearly wasn't as polished as Sandstrom, to boot.

Take it for whatever you will. I'm not saying it's an end all, be all scouting report. Just a piece of info.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
At the very least, he seems like a mentally stable and capable goaltender.

Working with Holtby's coach makes me feel better, but I won't be foolish to think he's instantly Holtby caliber.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I woke up feeling better about this pick than I did last night when I went to sleep. I agree with the philosophy of BPA and trust Hexy implicitly, especially when it comes to goaltenders, but I was just a little disappointed because there were some interesting names still on the board. For whatever reason, I'm more relaxed and satisfied about it this morning. I just watched his interview, and he seems like a great kid. I really had high hopes for Tomek, but this pick gives us added insurance in the goalie pool.

I do wonder who the best of the batch is. I'm pretty sure Appleyard would say Sandstrom, and that would thrill me to pieces. How does Lyon stack up to the rest and how far away is he? That question keeps popping up in my head. This season we still sort of have that "free pass," so I wouldn't mind seeing he or Stolie (or both) get a couple of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad