Speculation: Round 2 Pick 35

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
This year in particular, with a very deep draft through two rounds, it's unlikely that we will be able to predict with any kind of accuracy the "fallers". I gave it a shot in another thread and this was my post after this text. I assume that everybody before Fucale is going to go in the first round at some point and that everybody after on the list is likely to be there at 35th. Still great value.

As far as the 35th pick, I saw a question here regarding who would be a good target in that range. It's really tough to identify players that are going to make it past the 20th pick in this one because of how closely the talent starts to group in the 20th to 50th range... perhaps even all the way through the second round and into the third.

Curtis Lazar - Scouts wonder about his hockey IQ and playmaking but he has a natural scoring touch and usually goal scorers go higher than expected. I wouldn't bank on him being around at 35th, but stranger things have happened. Good motor and no real noticeable weakness other than Skinner-like tunnel vision with the puck on his tape.

Frederik Gauthier - Comparisons to a guy like Keith Primeau, he's another one that I doubt escapes the first round. He's built like an absolute tank, but his draft stock is falling at a pretty steady pace amid concerns about his next level upside.

Max Domi - Doing everything he can to make size a non-factor, it's still a factor for a player of Domi's style. He has been a hotter name in the past month than he was at midseason time, but I don't know how much he has done to elevate himself over some of the other options that might be available.

Zach Fucale - The best goaltender available usually goes in the first round. Fucale came into the season as part of the three headed draft eligible monster for Halifax, but playing behind a ridiculously offensive squad didn't do much for his numbers and inconsistency didn't help either. The natural talent is there, but the tangible production hasn't been. It will be interesting to plot his development with one or likely both of Drouin and MacKinnon in the NHL next season.

Nic Petan - The diminutive forward has done everything in his power to put himself on the first round page. Chippy player with great hands. How much will translate?

Adam Erne - Fell like a stone from midterm to final for central scouting and I am not entirely sure why. Could be a guy that escapes the first round.

Ian McCoshen - Not as high profile as some of the other defenders available because he played in the USHL, but there are precious few knocks to his game and the offensive upside he has is pretty remarkable. It's a tough gamble taking guys out of the USHL as the level of competition is usually a notch below the CHL counterparts.

Jacob de la Rose - It's entirely possible that Rutherford sees the word "la Rose" in his name and makes an impulse buy. de la Rose is entering his second year of draft eligibility after a breakout WJC where he was able to show off his elite speed for Sweden. Concerns about his hands and offensive ability, but has a high motor and skates like the wind.

Justin Bailey - Kitchner alert. Kitchner alert. We likely saw a lot of this kid while looking at Ryan Murphy this year. Underwhelming production for a player of his considerable talents, but all the physical tools you could want. Questions about dedication start to emerge when a player that is capable of dominating junior competition falls short. Suffered a big concussion early in his first season of CHL hockey and things didn't really start to click for him until late in the year. Son of Carlton Bailey of Buffalo Bills fame. Ridiculously raw. The Seth Jones type trajectory didn't go as smooth for Bailey, but the talent is undeniable.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
Steve Santini or Keaton Thompson

Two big, well-rounded, defensively responsible D out of the USNDTP. This program has developed and churned out excellent D for the past few Drafts and these two are no different. Either one being the next Justin Faulk is unlikely, but the potential to be 2nd pairing D is definitely there.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Good info so far, just figured it would mix up the convo for a bit, since we have been talking Valeri and Sean mostly.

Those 2 D sound intriguing.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm for Nicolas Petan. 46 goals and 120 points this season.

He played on a hell of a line for Portland, but he was a part of that line obviously. Anybody that plays with Ty Rattie in junior is going to put up some points, but I feel like those numbers may be a tad misleading. I like him obviously, as I listed him as a potential target, but numbers like that would lead one to believe he's an instant game breaker offensively and I don't feel that's the case. He has that developmental potential, but it will be interesting to see if he can even replicate that season next year without Rattie.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Santini was my answer when this question came up about a week ago. He sounds very much like a Gleason type, solid stay-home second pair guy who can take the body and block shots with just enough offensively that he won't short circuit you in transition. (that only describes Gleason at his very best for about 30 games a year, but the general comparison is sound).

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Santini was my answer when this question came up about a week ago. He sounds very much like a Gleason type, solid stay-home second pair guy who can take the body and block shots with just enough offensively that he won't short circuit you in transition. (that only describes Gleason at his very best for about 30 games a year, but the general comparison is sound).

One of the draft sites list him being drafted 22nd to the Caps.

But, anything can happen and players fall or rise.

smi

Jun 14, 2011
A guy with "la Rose" in his name.. And there's concerns about his hands and offensive ability.. Yet he skates hard and tries hard.

I think it's a no-brainer. The only thing better than Chad LaRose is two of them.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'm going to guess (hope for, really) Justin Bailey. All the physical tools, Kitchener and he's a defenseman in the 2nd round.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm going to guess (hope for, really) Justin Bailey. All the physical tools, Kitchener and he's a defenseman in the 2nd round.

I apologize if my post about Bailey made it come across as if he were a defender, he's actually a forward. My comment regarding the "Seth Jones trajectory", was meant in the sense that he basically came out of nowhere deciding to leave the NCAA path, playing in the AYHL and then later joining the Indiana Ice of the USHL for 3 games and going the CHL route. That basically means he had 3 games in a highly inferior league to the CHL before making the CONSIDERABLE jump in competition from the AYHL to the OHL. He was concussed early in his first season, a pretty brutal hit that you can find on youtube that almost made him do a full flip in a hit that was similar to the Skinner hit this season. Complete ass over teakettle. He was unimpressive prior to that point and took a long time to really come around into his production. Didn't have the best playoffs either. July '95 birthdate, so one of the younger guys available.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
One of the draft sites list him being drafted 22nd to the Caps.

But, anything can happen and players fall or rise.

Most of the mock drafts I've seen have him going mid-second, but who knows. Canes can probably take their 2nd + McBain and move up into the mid 20s if they have to.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
I want a D but I do see the Canes making a strong push to trade into the late 1st and take Fucale.

Multiple sources have listed the Canes as interested in him and after this years debacle once Cam went down, a solid, young, long term backup would be more than welcome.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I want a D but I do see the Canes making a strong push to trade into the late 1st and take Fucale.

Multiple sources have listed the Canes as interested in him and after this years debacle once Cam went down, a solid, young, long term backup would be more than welcome.

He's going to go higher than anybody thinks, IMO. He'll go in the Top 15-20. Best goaltender available by a sight and his natural talent trumps his inconsistent results behind an incredibly offensive squad. I don't know if it's worth it, in this draft in particular, to part with the assets required to move up from 35th to that position. You're going to have a damn good player available at 35th. Guys that would be 10th to 15th in a normal draft year. I wouldn't roll the dice and risk it. I would identify my target at 35th and stick with it. Goaltenders can be found all through the draft and even free agency, we just have to do a better job of identifying them. Not a fan of using high picks on goaltenders because of how long they take to mature and the potential for them to ripen on the vine if you're firmly entrenched with a starter the way we are with Cam.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Not saying you're wrong, but I'm curious what this belief is rooted in.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Not saying you're wrong, but I'm curious what this belief is rooted in.

Me too, because I've been watching JR draft for his entire career and the number of times he's moved up to grab a specific target can easily be counted on one hand, with enough fingers left over to type 40 words per minute (Ladd, Wallin ... all that comes to mind).

I think he will sit at our table and patiently wait for pick No. 35, while our scouts cross names off our list and wince. Then he will announce the player at the top of our draft list at pick 35, who will no doubt turn into the next Danny Richmond.

To be fair, we also sat and waited in the second round and grabbed Dalpe and Faulk, so that's why there's probably no overwhelming desire to move up.

Last edited:

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
I've seen it listed on other sites and asked around myself, I have it on pretty good authority that we have scouted Halifax heavily this year, even when we were playing very well and out of MacKinnon/Drouin range.

Granted, a scouts job is to scout, no shocker they are looking around. There's a good chance we don't trade up and sit and hope he falls to us at 35, but I know they are interested.

Good chance they are also hoping for Hartman. He is a hard worker with decent skills, fits the Canes mold and the Canes are always monitoring Plymouth.

dammit100

Nov 5, 2009
Raleigh, NC
please draft justin bailey!
Justin-Bailey.jpg

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Personally, I don't believe he'll be available, but the kid I'd want in the 2nd round is Ian McCoshen. Kid has an edge, has size, good skater, and even has an emerging offensive upside. Unfortunately he's not far enough under the radar and will most likely be gone by the time we pick.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Personally, I don't believe he'll be available, but the kid I'd want in the 2nd round is Ian McCoshen. Kid has an edge, has size, good skater, and even has an emerging offensive upside. Unfortunately he's not far enough under the radar and will most likely be gone by the time we pick.

I watched a lot of McCoshen for Waterloo this year because I am a big fan of Justin Kloos (also undrafted headed to Minnesota; projects as being passed over again or 7th) and wanted to see the fuss about Cammarata. Lots of ridiculous talent on that Waterloo team. McCoshen looks like the real deal to me for sure. I had him identified as a target for 35th in my first post and it would be awesome if he was still around.

On that note, if we're talking late round guys, I really hope we can have a look at Grant Besse and Justin Kloos. Mr. Hockey in Minnesota in back to back years, both passed over last year. Besse is heading to Wisconsin and is a ridiculous goal scorer. Kloos is a fantastic playmaker. I would be thrilled with either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad