Pre-Game Talk: Round 2 matchup

Devils or Rags

• Total voters

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
The Rangers have a high ceiling, but their floor opens the door for the Canes. It can be a slog for them to score 5v5 at times even with all that talent. Case in point, they did lose 3 times in the series last year, scoring just 3 goals total in those games. Games 3-5 against New Jersey represents another example.

New Jersey’s speed concerns me from a stylistic perspective.

Canes are the (heavy) underdog in either series, of course. The outcome of the season is already a success under the unfortunate circumstances.

Tom is also guaranteed at least 2 more home games.

• Haha
Reactions: 3CanesInTheBox

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
I wont say I dont make negative comments about every team (especially divisional teams) but thats also strictly in the NJ board or the main board; I can say one thing about Carolina thats negative but then come over here and discuss Aho or maybe coaching or the injuries.

I can see how some take that as trolling but its just one big message board after all; I treat the main board and team boards almost as different forums in a way.

For the record I had yall second in the league before the season started, also before the injuries of course. I just didnt have Boston 1 lol, thought that was gonna be Dallas tbh
Go back over there and do some voodoo Magic sacrifice a few things to thor whatever you have to do to win game seven lol We won't have a problem scoring on Akira.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Would prefer NJ because NYR fans are trash. Also, I think the physicality of NYR would not do us well, and Shesty plus their offense would be tough for our group in particular to beat. I don't think NJ will be an easy out, but I think they are a better matchup for us. They are more susceptible to being goalied over the course of a series, and I think that's what we are going to need to do to advance.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Rangers PP and goaltending are great. NJ's speed, youth and skill are great. I don't see one or the other being any easier of an opponent.
I like our odds against NJ a bit better. Both can burn us, but at least NJ's goal tending is more likely to be something our limited scoring can recover against when we do give up some goals. I think against the Rangers we would have too hard a time recovering from a bad goal.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think we have a pretty good chance against either team, I just like to see different matchups where possible. And if it comes to it, losing to Jersey would be more palatable than the Rags two years in a row. Granted, I feel similar to Jersey how I felt about the Rags last year, that them making it to the ECF feels a year too early, so I'd be mildly annoyed even with our injuries.

I do like certain aspects of the Jersey matchup more for us but this is the NHL. Just about anything can happen.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think we have a pretty good chance against either team, I just like to see different matchups where possible. And if it comes to it, losing to Jersey would be more palatable than the Rags two years in a row. Granted, I feel similar to Jersey how I felt about the Rags last year, that them making it to the ECF feels a year too early, so I'd be mildly annoyed even with our injuries.

I do like certain aspects of the Jersey matchup more for us but this is the NHL. Just about anything can happen.

I consider New Jersey the more difficult matchup, but simultaneously it'll also prevent the Cary transplant locusts from invading our arena, so I'm therefore heavily cheering for the Devils tonight.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
So my thoughts are with our injuries we'll be underdogs against either team BUT we can beat either team. I absolutely hate the Rags and tend to always root against them but it would also be nice to get some vengeance for last year and have a chance to beat them. Beating them would feel much better than beating the Devils. Although losing to them again would feel worse than losing to NJ.

The biggest factors for me right now though are the fanbases -- I won't be flying down to Raleigh for any home games but for those who do attend those I'd rather you all don't have your experiences ruined by douchy rags fans. Also I'd like to try to get to a road game next series like I did with the last series but after seeing some of the behavior of Rags fans (especially the sucker punch from behind on a Bolts fan last year) I'm not sure I'd go to MSG. I'd have no problem going to the Prudential Center. So let's go Devils tonight

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Devils, easily.

I think with Tampa now being bounced out, if Boston and the Rags follow suit, the Canes may actually have a shot. As long as the competition is soft too, they won't struggle as much.
The Rags are far from some great team, they have Shesterkin and thats the only reason to worry about them. After all their trades of old guys they had a hard time scoring against us in that home and home series. And if I remember correctly Svech was already out at that point.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
The Rags are far from some great team, they have Shesterkin and thats the only reason to worry about them. After all their trades of old guys they had a hard time scoring against us in that home and home series. And if I remember correctly Svech was already out at that point.
Panarin, Kreider, Zibanejad, Fox, Miller, that whole ass “kid” line, and Troubas elbow are plenty of reasons to worry about the Rangers outside of Shesterkin and their newly acquired players.

I don’t think they’re some dynamic unbeatable force but on paper they’re the superior team to the Hurricanes currently depleted roster.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Panarin, Kreider, Zibanejad, Fox, Miller, that whole ass “kid” line, and Troubas elbow are plenty of reasons to worry about the Rangers outside of Shesterkin and their newly acquired players.

I don’t think they’re some dynamic unbeatable force but on paper they’re the superior team to the Hurricanes currently depleted roster.
There was a guy earlier in the year that said we didn't have a si gle player on the level of the guys you mentioned, was that you? I'm not dogging up the stats again but Aho was more points them all of them through this point in their careers. Im not the least bit worried about them we can shut them down if we can score. Last years series wasn't even close if they have an average goalie in net. Shesterkin was unbelievable and thats the only reason they beat us in 7

MisterDobz

Tryin to Reason with Hurricane Season
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida

Yeah, and the Broons were vastly superior to the Panters…

Reactions: Summer Rose

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Yeah, and the Broons were vastly superior to the Panters…
Well see i just flat disagree that the Rags are superior at all to the Canes, injuries or not. I think this guy has been waving the Rags flag all season. They are over rated and have great goal tending.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Devils it is. Let’s see if Meier is out for any extended period of time after that massive hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad