Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Penguins) 2016 Playoffs (Pens fans, read note in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Rangers thought that as well. I hope Wilson and co. run around. Give the Pens lots of PP chances and it may not be a long series. Either way good luck. If the Pens can't win I'd like to see Ovie get a cup.

Rangers are pretty soft team aswell, they are built around their speed game but they lost way too much of their speed in a span of a year.

Penguins were pretty impressive in tearing Hank apart though, don't see that very often.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
The Caps have an excellent PK, I don't think special teams will impact this series that much. I think it's largely dependent on how much each team can produce at ES, neither team is going to be able to abuse the other on special teams like they did in the 1st round.
The Caps do have a good PK. They also just played the most offensively inept team I have ever seen in the playoffs. So different series entirely. Should be a lot of fun to watch anyways.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Ridiculous that this match-up is now though. The other side of the Eastern Conference is brutal. Islanders or banged up Tampa is the most likely waiting on the ECF and they neither have any business of being there. I think i might have rather faced NYI in the 1st round than the Flyers.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The Caps do have a good PK. They also just played the most offensively inept team I have ever seen in the playoffs. So different series entirely. Should be a lot of fun to watch anyways.

well lets not forget they were the #2 pk in nhl this season. so lets not pretend its just cause flyers offense was bad

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I hope we win, but I am simply speaking not optimistic. We are currently a one-line team. Our second line has been utterly useless.

I'm not worried about production from line two. They were quiet in the first round but no two series are alike. They were consistently good in the regular season and I expect them to pick it up in round two.

capsfan59

May 10, 2009
The caps have disappointed me big time. I was hoping that this was a different team, but it doesn't appear to be the case. Beating the Flyers was a big time struggle. I am really mad about how it transpired. Yes, we won the series, but they did it in a fashion that was just not convincing.
if they don't make it to the finals this year, I am not watching them in the regular season anymore ( I will probably still watch them, lol). I will have to believe that it means absolutely nothing.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The caps have disappointed me big time. I was hoping that this was a different team, but it doesn't appear to be the case. Beating the Flyers was a big time struggle. I am really mad about how it transpired. Yes, we won the series, but they did it in a fashion that was just not convincing.
if they don't make it to the finals this year, I am not watching them in the regular season anymore ( I will probably still watch them, lol). I will have to believe that it means absolutely nothing.

they won first 3 easily, struggled in game 4 and absolutely dominated in game 5 (outshooting them 45-11!!!) what else do they need to do?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Styles make matches. Caps can't look good against a team like the flyers who are not very good. First series is tough to get through. Pens however have been better the last 20 games. Rangers are not slow and the Pens skated them off the ice. Should be a very good series.

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
Caps really need to keep a physical game like they did agains the Flyers. Hit, hit, hit. Wear them down, get them banged up and bruised up.

capsfan59

May 10, 2009
they won first 3 easily, struggled in game 4 and absolutely dominated in game 5 (outshooting them 45-11!!!) what else do they need to do?

Outshooting them meant nothing as they lost that game. What they need to do is win in a convincing fashion, especially when they are supposed to be the best team in the league. Remember, we were getting outshot in the first three games or so, but guess what, we won! So outshooting the opponent does not matter if you don't win the game.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Caps and Pens are the two best teams in the East and it's not even close. It's a shame that they're not meeting in the Conference Final. The winner here represents the East in the SCF.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Outshooting them meant nothing as they lost that game. What they need to do is win in a convincing fashion, especially when they are supposed to be the best team in the league. Remember, we were getting outshot in the first three games or so, but guess what, we won! So outshooting the opponent does not matter if you don't win the game.

Whether that game was "convincing" was entirely luck. Neuvy played out of his mind and the Flyers got a bounce.

If the Caps had gotten a goal (and avoided the fluke goal by White) it would've been a VERY convincing win.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Very happy that the Caps are playing the Pens next, and its not because I am confident. Just happy for all the obvious story lines (hated rival, Crosby, etc...) but also if the Caps are to win the Cup they will need to beat very good teams.

Pens are playing as good as any right now. Caps will be challenged and the Caps will need to up their game considerably over the flyers series. Can they? We are going to find out. Exciting.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Caps and Pens are the two best teams in the East and it's not even close. It's a shame that they're not meeting in the Conference Final. The winner here represents the East in the SCF.

This! But I was waiting for this matchup since 2009! Good luck to all of you. Hopefully we see 7 games of Crosby and Ovi exchanging hat-tricks and generational plays lol. This is going to be fun. :yo:

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
Anyone know when we might see game 1? Thursday?

99% it will be Thursday because Justin Bieber is in town on Friday.

Last edited:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
This should make everyone feel better.

Overall series...

Score:
Caps 14
Flyers 6

Shots:
Caps 186
Flyers 155

We just won a series in 6 games while shooting only 7.5%. That's pretty ridiculous. Holtby had a .968 save percentage... That's why we're advancing. Wow.

Power Plays
Caps 8-27
Flyers 1-24

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
There also weren't a whole lot of really good shots/chances for the Flyers. Capitals have played very good team defense all year and this series was more of the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad