PHX
ryan_macinnis_kitchener.jpg

Birthyear: 1996-02-14
Birthplace: St. Louis, MO, USA
Position: C
Height: 193 cm / 6'4"
Weight: 84 kg / 185 lbs

THN:
MacInnis has a tall, lanky build but has some good potential to add strength. His speed currently lacks burst but his skating does have some upside. He's an instinctual player who uses solid positioning to remain in the offensive play and has a heavy shot but needs to work on his release and accuracy.

THW:
Quote 1: Brock Otten at OHLProspects.Blogspot.ca, “He’s definitely a long term project with potential (think along the lines of Calgary’s Jankowski selection). MacInnis has the size, skating ability, puck skill, and poise to be a prototypical top 6 center at the NHL level. He’s getting better, but I still want to see him play with more conviction without the puck. As a center (with his size), he’s going to have to learn how to control the boards and play in his own end.â€

Quote 2: Russ Cohen at Sportsology.info, “He skates well for a big guy. His hockey sense could be a bit better when it comes to setting up plays. He has terrific puck pursuit. His dad, Al, is a Hall of Fame defenseman. Ryan’s shot is good, but not at Al’s level just yet.â€

Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Ryan MacInnis:

• The Tall One – A 6’4 centre, every team wants one.
  • Genes – Son of NHL Hall of Famer, Al MacInnis.
  • Offense – Add great hands and passing ability to a 6’4 frame and you have a solid foundation to build upon. While his shot doesn’t make the goaltenders cringe like his dear old Dad did, he does possess a very good wrist shot with a nice release.
  • Defense – Has the makings of a strong two-way forward with size. He is not quite there yet but you can see it in his future.
  • Future improvements to make – Ryan is not a physical player but is working to improve in this area. If he adds some weight and strength to his lanky 6’4,185 lb. frame, then, I think he will find much more success and confidence in the physical side of the game.
  • Draft placement – Rankings are many clustered from the late first to mid second. While his results for the year have not been overwhelming, teams looking for size with skill are not going to pass over this guy for long – a solid second with a good chance of a late first.

Interview Here: http://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-macinnis-one-one-2014-nhl-draft-prospect/

[NHL]627001[/NHL]

Last edited:

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
Like they said, no one likely has his father's shot (obviously I'm a huge fan of his Al.) I hope to see him play here though. I been keeping an eye on him here and there. Would be cool to see what he's capable of. I have high hopes for him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is getting a little silly. Murphy, Samuelsson, Domi, Perlini(still counts) and now MacInnis? I guess that Audette will be our guy at 58.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
This is getting a little silly. Murphy, Samuelsson, Domi, Perlini(still counts) and now MacInnis? I guess that Audette will be our guy at 58.

Ruutu, Staal, Burke, Tikhonov...

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
... and Burke and Tikhonov. And I bet that if you look hard, you'll find uncles who played minor pro or major junior or whatever.

I couldn't disagree more. I love it. Kyle Turris's mom and dad would have spent 10 years telling him how special he was and how he should play wherever he wants and how great he is getting picked 3rd overall. Max Domi's dad would have spent 10 years telling him how hard he has to work to make it and what a priveledge it is to be in the league and will be able to offer real advice when things are tough on or off the ice.

Don't reach way down the list for someone with a famous name, but what a tremendous tie-breaker it is.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I love this pick. We need to keep adding centres and none had as much upside as this guy does.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's big. Bloodlines. And Kitchner Ranger. If you didn't see this coming, I don't know where you've been these past few years ;) I'm fine with it. Not too many 6'4" centers out there. Could do worse as far as projects go.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Saw this coming a mile away, haha. MacInnis is pretty raw, but I don't mind a project pick at 43. HOF bloodlines will certainly help him along.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He's playing about 40 pounds underweight right now. It'd be nice to see him fill out that huge frame and then abuse the OHL with it.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I want to see at least a 30pt increase from last season. He got 37pts last season, he needs to get 67pts this next season, including increasing his goal count to 20+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad