Series Talk: Round 1 - St. Louis Blues [now w/ Poll]

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Most players were phenomenal but I want to give a shout out to a few guys who drastically exceeded expectations in round one. Graves, Timmins and Bellemare were all incredible.

Hope Belly is ok. He was shaking hands with his left hand so somethings up with his right. I know he went to the room for a few minutes. Hopefully it isn’t serious.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Most players were phenomenal but I want to give a shout out to a few guys who drastically exceeded expectations in round one. Graves, Timmins and Bellemare were all incredible.

Hope Belly is ok. He was shaking hands with his left hand so somethings up with his right. I know he went to the room for a few minutes. Hopefully it isn’t serious.

This. For as much shit as Graves gets around here (a bunch from me), he was phenomenal. Timmy and Belly were really good too.

Reactions: Francesca13

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Ashamed of myself for voting 7 games

IKIFEEL.jpg

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
So there will be one soon, who’s gonna be the D-bag from a losing team to steal the puck?

Reaves?
Marchand?
Compher?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm glad this series is over for the simple fact that we don't have to hear Pierre mention Bouwmeester and Pietraneglo when talking about all the key pieces missing on the Blues back end. Last time I checked Krug and Scandella (and Faulk for that matter) weren't on the 2019 Cup team.

Speaking for Krug, what a hot head. The guy was having emotional outbursts 5-6 times a game over marginal incidents. He also got his bucket ripped off at least once a game, revealing his Marc Crawford-esque hair (circa 1996).

Reactions: Richard88

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018

The funny thing is, the Avs weren't hitting a whole lot, but they were still being physical and responding pretty well to physical play.

But what do I know, the Avs should probably just switch up their game plan and take a page from St. Louis this series. Seems like a recipe for succe...oh wait.

Reactions: Zandar

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
The funny thing is, the Avs weren't hitting a whole lot, but they were still being physical and responding pretty well to physical play.

But what do I know, the Avs should probably just switch up their game plan and take a page from St. Louis this series. Seems like a recipe for succe...oh wait.
Moarrrrr LOB!!!!!!!!!!

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
If we’re playing Vegas I’d personally put in LOB for game 1 over Soda and tell him to set a tone. I know Bednar won’t do it but it would be nice

Reactions: Stapler

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The hits are zero concern to me... matching up with Vegas' physicality for 6/7 games remains to be seen, but I have zero issue with the lack of hits. Play to your strengths.

Yea we don't have to hit them but we do have to be able to absorb those hits and keep playing our game. Girard in particular needs to find a way to not get thrown off his game when the entire Vegas team is targeting him physically. When he's too afraid to get hurt he turns into playoff Johnny Gaudreau. We rely on him too much for that.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The hits are zero concern to me... matching up with Vegas' physicality for 6/7 games remains to be seen, but I have zero issue with the lack of hits. Play to your strengths.
This. Never get away from your identity. I still kinda wish we had acquired a Miles Wood or something at the deadline. An Avs style player who also plays heavy but we didn’t so let’s just keep rolling as we have against every team we’ve played this year.

As long as the Avs don’t change their game I like where we sit.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If we’re playing Vegas I’d personally put in LOB for game 1 over Soda and tell him to set a tone. I know Bednar won’t do it but it would be nice

That would be a ridiculous thing to do. O'Brien has no business being in this series. And personally I didn't mind Tuna that much late in the season.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

This fella is really impressing me. From not playing hockey in about a year and a half at a crucial development age, leading to a discussion about his career being in jeopardy or over, to him slowly, but surely, building his NHL game stone by stone and now playing his best hockey in the playoffs. So happy for him!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yea we don't have to hit them but we do have to be able to absorb those hits and keep playing our game. Girard in particular needs to find a way to not get thrown off his game when the entire Vegas team is targeting him physically. When he's too afraid to get hurt he turns into playoff Johnny Gaudreau. We rely on him too much for that.

I don't think G is totally healthy, but Vegas will target him first and foremost as he is the 'easiest' to rattle and he's arguably the most important defender for the Avs. Vegas is gonna really play him and Makar physical hoping they wilt.
This. Never get away from your identity. I still kinda wish we had acquired a Miles Wood or something at the deadline. An Avs style player who also plays heavy but we didn’t so let’s just keep rolling as we have against every team we’ve played this year.

As long as the Avs don’t change their game I like where we sit.

This is a bit of a hyperbolic statement, but the outcome of the Vegas/Avs series is going to set the path for a lot of teams. Avs have taken the mobility/puck movement/speed speed speed style of game to 11 to a place where teams haven't gone before with it (especially on the backend). A number of old school hockey guys think they have gone too far, and if Vegas wins, their confirmation bias will set in. Teams will start to look to bulk up and get aggressive against these types of teams. If the Avs win, you'll see more and more teams skew like the Avs. Going to be really interesting to watch this fallout.

All that said, Avs just have to play their game and let the chips fall. On paper the Avs should have the advantage if G and Makar can play like they are capable of. Do that and eventually they'll play Tampa for whomever is going to end up winning the Cup.

This fella is really impressing me. From not playing hockey in about a year and a half at a crucial development age, leading to a discussion about his career being in jeopardy or over, to him slowly, but surely, building his NHL game stone by stone and now playing his best hockey in the playoffs. So happy for him!

Timmins' game has always been about his decision making and how that held up. There was seemingly a click in his last stint in Loveland. If that stays up, he's well on his path to a very long NHL career.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
A few things I’m thinking about with the upcoming Vegas series.

- Mikko Rantanen took an incredible amount of physical abuse against the Knights this year. They target him and he’s not fast enough to get away from it. He needs to find a way to fight through it and make a big impact. I’m looking at him against Stone and if he can keep that matchup even, that’s really good for the Avs.

- Can the Avs bottom-3 D keep up with the Vegas transition game? The speed of Vegas is completely different than the Blues. This is probably the biggest concern for me. The slow footed bottom-3 trying to keep up in transition.

- When you combine team structure, Fleury, and the overall ability of their defenceman, Vegas is the best defensive team the Avs will play. Scoring is going to be incredibly difficult and not getting discouraged will be key. I think the Avs have the ability to break through, but this will be as hard as it gets in terms of scoring.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Avs really just swept a team with MacKinnon having the worst CF% and third worst xGF% on the team at even strength.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Avs really just swept a team with MacKinnon having the worst CF% and third worst xGF% on the team at even strength.

Which is why if baffles the hell out of me why people are ragging on ROR's performance in this series. The advanced stats are kind of absurd on the against/not against ROR for MacK. ROR did as good of job as could be done on MacK, they Blues just had no depth to help him.

Reactions: missionAvs

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013

As Bednar loves to say, the team who is chasing play generally has more hits. Avs dominated possession, so yes they took more hit than they gave out.

It’s really of no concern.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Which is why if baffles the hell out of me why people are ragging on ROR's performance in this series. The advanced stats are kind of absurd on the against/not against ROR for MacK. ROR did as good of job as could be done on MacK, they Blues just had no depth to help him.
This kinda proves my point that "advanced stats" are kind of trash.

The reason people rag on O'Reilly is because MacK and the first line torched him on the score sheet. 4 game series, MacK 9 points, Landy 8, and Rantanen 7. Compared to RORs 3 points and -7. It was a butt kicking, I don't really care what the advanced have to say. Score sheet told the story.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Getting out-hit in this series was a given, the entire Blues strategy was to finish every check and hit us into submission. All the running around trying to put a body on everyone with the puck ended up meaning they didn't spend much time with possession, so they just hit more.

It will be interesting to see if Vegas tries the same thing with us. Everybody kind of expects that they will, but they could easily look at what we just did to STL and conclude that playing us that way is a losing strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad