round 1 prediction poll

Prediction

• Total voters

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
So you figure that, as a team, they collectively decided to give up home ice (which required Florida to win all of its remaining games, which is obviously not something Boston could control while they were busy throwing games on purpose) by dropping below Florida because they think it will give them a better chance to play those very Florida Panthers in the second round....but without home ice advantage? Feels like a bit of a stretch to me. In any event, Boston wouldn't beat Tampa or Toronto., or Florida for that matter. Their only hope for a playoff series win this year was playing the Islanders or Capitals, but all of that purposeful tanking cost them first place in the conference, as well.

Ottawa beat them in their last game that could have won them the division. Yes I think Boston took a look at the options and choose Keefe vs choosing Cooper. So by facing the Leafs they have an easier 1st round opponent AND they make Florida face TB in the 1st round. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Will you change your prediction to a 5 game loss after the leafs win the first game?
I'll take one game at a time. Hopefully, our Leafs will perform above my expectations and win the series.

It takes 4 wins to close our a series. I just can't see our Leafs doing it until, they ACTUALLY DO IT !!!

I EXPECT the worse, and hope for the best !!!

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I'll take one game at a time. Hopefully, our Leafs will perform above my expectations and win the series.

It takes 4 wins to close our a series. I just can't see our Leafs doing it until, they ACTUALLY DO IT !!!

I EXPECT the worse, and hope for the best !!!

In the case of any series vs Boston it will take 5 wins cause the ref's will F us in at least one game, normally it's the first game and normally it's in the first period, look for multiple PIM's called against the Leafs between the 6 min mark and the 14 min mark.

Reactions: Al14

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I predict Samsonov will let in an average of 1.8 brutal goals per playoff game.

Offense will have to win this series.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Really? Outside of NYI, Washington and Tampa, Boston scares me the least in the East. I think Florida presents more of a challenge, let alone the Rangers or the Hurricanes. The Leafs will benefit from the fact that Boston can't score. The challenge for Boston will be that no matter how good their goalie(s) may be in the series, they won't be able to win if Boston only scores one or two goals per game.
Boston may not score as much as us but they're better defensively. In fact, their goal differential is better than the Leafs' for the year. That's a style that's more likely to succeed in the playoffs than our run and gun which as we know, disappears in the postseason.

This season Boston already beat us, 3-2 (OT), 4-3 (OT) & 4-1. Doesn't seem like they have much trouble scoring as much as we do against them. That's always the crux of the Leaf roster, they have a hard time against physical, defensively sound teams. Hoping Domi and Bert can be difference makers.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So you figure that, as a team, they collectively decided to give up home ice (which required Florida to win all of its remaining games, which is obviously not something Boston could control while they were busy throwing games on purpose) by dropping below Florida because they think it will give them a better chance to play those very Florida Panthers in the second round....but without home ice advantage? Feels like a bit of a stretch to me. In any event, Boston wouldn't beat Tampa or Toronto., or Florida for that matter. Their only hope for a playoff series win this year was playing the Islanders or Capitals, but all of that purposeful tanking cost them first place in the conference, as well.
After the Bruins read your post all but guaranteeing they would lose to Tampa, what did you expect them to do?

Would you rather face a team you swept, Matty, Marner, Nylander, Rielly and Sammy or a team you had difficulty against, Kutch, Point, Hedman and Vasi? One is a two time SC winner, while the one you swept you consider a playoff choker?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Boston may not score as much as us but they're better defensively. In fact, their goal differential is better than the Leafs' for the year. That's a style that's more likely to succeed in the playoffs than our run and gun which as we know, disappears in the postseason.

This season Boston already beat us, 3-2 (OT), 4-3 (OT) & 4-1. Doesn't seem like they have much trouble scoring as much as we do against them. That's always the crux of the Leaf roster, they have a hard time against physical, defensively sound teams. Hoping Domi and Bert can be difference makers.
I'd buy this argument if the Bruins actually had any playoff success in recent years, but they've only won a single round since 2020. Whatever they are doing, it's not succeeding.

After the Bruins read your post all but guaranteeing they would lose to Tampa, what did you expect them to do?

Would you rather face a team you swept, Matty, Marner, Nylander, Rielly and Sammy or a team you had difficulty against, Kutch, Point, Hedman and Vasi? One is a two time SC winner, while the one you swept you consider a playoff choker?
The Bruins needed to win three games to finish first in the conference and play...Washington. I'm fairly certain that would have been their preference.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'd buy this argument if the Bruins actually had any playoff success in recent years, but they've only won a single round since 2020. Whatever they are doing, it's not succeeding.

The Bruins needed to win three games to finish first in the conference and play...Washington. I'm fairly certain that would have been their preference.
They beat the Pens and lost to Wash and Ottawa to finish the season. They were never winning the conference.

Reactions: HolyCrap

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
How did they know the Rangers were going to win all of their games?
Rangers were up by 3 points on the Bruins on April 15th. They needed to win their last 2 games and have Rangers lose their last to Ottawa. Rangers rinsed Ottawa and they laid an egg in Washington that night. Realistically they were never overtaking the Rangers.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Bruins can say the same. They threw 2 games to draw the Leafs, So now we wait to see if the Bruins back it up or the Leafs make them regret tanking.
This is the meme circling in social media.

1713535470432.png

It appears the Bruins are more excited to have drawn the Leafs, than the Leafs now forced to play the Bruins by losing their last 4 games and falling into this match-up.

I personally don't have a very good feeling as a self proclaimed realist that the Leafs would beat either Boston or Florida so the 1st round opponent not really that important.

Reason: Both Boston and Florida have top 3 goaltending results and not just 1 goalie but 2 solid options, while the Leafs goaltending on the season < .900 sv% and > 3.0 GAA

"Good teams are built from the goalie out, through strong defense ... "

Prediction: Boston in 6 games

Reactions: ToneDog

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
In general though, a hard-nosed defensive game is more conducive to playoff success than run and gun. Year after year the teams with the best D and best goaltending go further. Not an argument, it's a fact.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
In general though, a hard-nosed defensive game is more conducive to playoff success than run and gun. Year after year the teams with the best D and best goaltending go further. Not an argument, it's a fact.
I don't disagree, but I think it's more that for any Cup winner, its best players played better than the other team's best players. Vegas hardly had the best goaltending last year, but their stars played like stars. Tampa never had the best defense, but their stars performed. Colorado definitely didn't have the best goalie or defense, but their stars...you get the point. There is no surefire recipe for success.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I don't disagree, but I think it's more that for any Cup winner, its best players played better than the other team's best players. Vegas hardly had the best goaltending last year, but their stars played like stars. Tampa never had the best defense, but their stars performed. Colorado definitely didn't have the best goalie or defense, but their stars...you get the point. There is no surefire recipe for success.
I will agree on that point, our stars have been largely outplayed in most series except for the Tampa series where our guys had better stats. You could argue though that Tampa had much better depth and should have won if it wasn't for Vasi being much leakier than usual.

We need the core to produce and dominate or we have no shot. No more half-ass effort, then need to get their hands dirty.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Something Dubas and Shanny failed to realize. In contrast, one of the first things Lou did here was trade for a #1G and he's had a true #1 everywhere he has been GM.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Vegas had a rock solid D which is why they did not miss a beat every time a goalie went down. Colorado had a generational dman and a good mix of puck movers and defenders. The Blues got stellar goaltending and had Petro. We have Sammy, Rielly and a bunch of plugs.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I think this team is capable of playing disciplined defensively and can win 2-1 and
3-2 games. Whether the goaltending can hold it together is the big question.

I’ve been critical of the core for years, but for some reason I am confident they make a run this year.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Vegas had a rock solid D which is why they did not miss a beat every time a goalie went down. Colorado had a generational dman and a good mix of puck movers and defenders. The Blues got stellar goaltending and had Petro. We have Sammy, Rielly and a bunch of plugs.
It's interesting, because no one said boo about Vegas' defense until they won a Cup. Same for St. Louis. In this case, it will be up to the Leafs' stars to carry the team. Goaltending in the first round is the least of my worries because we have all seen goalies get hot for a series or two. I think the bigger question with Toronto's goaltending is whether they can do it for four rounds.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Both teams seem to have ended the season cold, but Boston just has our number.

I just have no confidence in our defense and goaltending. I had way more confidence in last year's Leafs.

We need Sammy or Woll to get hot and the D to play simple and solid.

I guess Boston in 5, and I can't tell you how wrong I hope I am.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Both teams seem to have ended the season cold, but Boston just has our number.

I just have no confidence in our defense and goaltending. I had way more confidence in last year's Leafs.

We need Sammy or Woll to get hot and the D to play simple and solid.

I guess Boston in 5, and I can't tell you how wrong I hope I am.
I think Samsonov will be just fine in this series, and will be as good as, or better than, Boston's goalies. The issue with Samsonov is whether he can do it for four rounds. Any goalie can get hot for one or two rounds (see Florida last year). Four rounds is a tougher ask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad