Series Talk: Round 1: Predators vs. Canucks

What will be the result of Preds vs. Cancuks series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Zadorov complaining about the refs after the game. Love to see that because I think that's a real loser mentality to have for players to do that.

Is the NHL going to wait until Friday to give us a game time?
I'm assuming they're waiting to see the results of tonight's games. Either way I suspect it's just between a 6:30 puck drop or a 7:00 puck drop.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Imagine it will be 6:30. Only other games on the schedule Friday are Dallas at Vegas and Edmonton at LA if necessary

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Zadorov complaining about the refs after the game. Love to see that because I think that's a real loser mentality to have for players to do that.
Sure, why not! They have been beating up on our players all series with mostly no calls. Especially him and now he gets called for almost breaking FF9's back and he complains! Same for the boarding call against Vange. This is on the NHL/Refs for allowing this type of play without controlling it. Surprised there haven't been any fights as of yet. Maybe HCAB has told his team no fights.

Reactions: bdub24

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Just a couple of thoughts
Goes without saying but what a gutsy, huge win. Coming off the Sunday disaster and then falling behind in the 3rd period? They easily could have packed it in but did not. After the first half of the first period, the Preds were the clear better team

It is a great, great win, but what I can’t get out of my head is if we do not win this series it is going to be right up there with some of the most painful and disappointing ones in Preds history.

Even taking off my Preds glasses, I think it is pretty clear the Preds have been the better team in the series. They have probably been the better team in the last 4 games, and the one that they probably weren’t was game 1 and we had a 3rd period lead in it.

It is just so painful thinking about the fact that at the very least we should be up 3 games to 2, but heck, we could easily have already won the series.

We have done a great job completely shutting Vancouver offense down. Excluding empty net goal in game 1, they have a total of 11 goals in 5 games. If you had told me going in that would be the case I would have said there is no way we are losing this series.

But what is even more incredible, of those 11 goals, almost half of them (5) came during our two spectacular meltdowns in Game 1 and 4. In those two meltdowns we allowed 5 of the 11 goals in a time span of around 4 minutes and 12 seconds.

Meaning- there has been 302 minutes played in the series. We allowed 5 goals in 4:12 combined in the 2 meltdowns. And just SIX freaking goals in the other 296 minutes or so. Uggghhh. The fact that we are down in this series is maddening.

Mentioned this previously, but there really should be no more of the attitude that “well, we overachieved anyway and probably shouldn’t have made the playoffs anyway so whatever happens is gravy”. No way- if anything, I think we have proved ourself as a quality team that has outplayed the #2 seed and should be either up 3-2 or already won the series.

Finally- I said this yesterday- if the Preds are going to come home Friday, get fans hopes up once again, and then just shatter them with another excruciating defeat- then just go ahead and lose in Vancouver and get it over with and don’t put us through another night of misery in Bridgestone.

It is going to be absolutely crushing if we all get fired up again and have a great atmosphere Friday and then the Preds have yet another home playoff failure. I feel like we fans deserve a great night Friday so here’s hoping the Preds can come through.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
All great points. Good post drw. I will just say, though, that the Preds didn’t intend to shatter us with the defeat and no way they will intend to even if it happens on Friday. However much we care, they care more. They may fail but at least they earned the chance to try for some Friday magic.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Zad's comments could draw more attention from the refs and take away some of the dirty/borderline crap they've been letting slide

Reactions: bdub24

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
The defense and shot suppression in this series has been pretty crazy. Here is the average number of combined SOG per game for each series:
Avs/Stars 65.0
Oilers/LAK 63.3
Hurricanes/NYI 60.8
Leafs/Bruins 59.2
VGK/Stars 59.0
Panthers/Lightning 59.0
Caps/Rangers 53.8

Preds/Canucks 42.8

That is pretty dramatic. Looked it up and on the season the Preds were 23rd in SOG allowed while Canucks were 6th.

I really did not realize that Vancouver is near the bottom of the league this season in SOG for and near the top for SOG allowed. It appears Vancouver is doing what they normally do but the Preds have dramatically improved their shot suppression. We are holding them to an average of 18 SOG in the series.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The defense and shot suppression in this series has been pretty crazy. Here is the average number of combined SOG per game for each series:
Avs/Stars 65.0
Oilers/LAK 63.3
Hurricanes/NYI 60.8
Leafs/Bruins 59.2
VGK/Stars 59.0
Panthers/Lightning 59.0
Caps/Rangers 53.8

Preds/Canucks 42.8

That is pretty dramatic. Looked it up and on the season the Preds were 23rd in SOG allowed while Canucks were 6th.

I really did not realize that Vancouver is near the bottom of the league this season in SOG for and near the top for SOG allowed. It appears Vancouver is doing what they normally do but the Preds have dramatically improved their shot suppression. We are holding them to an average of 18 SOG in the series.
Thats pretty much why Saros' GAA is near the top for goalies with +3 games started this playoffs but his SV% is near the bottom. We arent allowing alot of shots on goal but some of what we are are quite high quality cross ice open net chances. Defensive lapses, cross crease passes, back door passes, etc have been costly.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Thats pretty much why Saros' GAA is near the top for goalies with +3 games started this playoffs but his SV% is near the bottom. We arent allowing alot of shots on goal but some of what we are are quite high quality cross ice open net chances. Defensive lapses, cross crease passes, back door passes, etc have been costly.
Yep- it is kind of hard to judge Saros performance because of this. But however anyone wants to slice it, 11 goals allowed in 5 games is pretty incredible- especially when 5 of them were in that horrible 4+ minutes

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yep- it is kind of hard to judge Saros performance because of this. But however anyone wants to slice it, 11 goals allowed in 5 games is pretty incredible- especially when 5 of them were in that horrible 4+ minutes
My personal opinions

Wasnt a big fan of the 1st goal against in game 1. Goal 2 had a good screen. Goal 3 weak defense and a wide open slot shot being fed from behind the goal... goals 2 and 3 you want him to get ahold of but lets be honest... theyre gonna require a bit of luck. 4th goal was empty net

Game 2... saros shouldve had that one. Got distracted with the jostlin goin on infront of him and Zadorov blast it by him

Game 3.... 1st goal probably couldve got. Partial screen but thing that kills me is the failed clear that leads to the goal and the McCarron penalty that led to that PP. 2nd goal was a redirect by Boeser in the blue paint through the 5 hole.

Game 4... defensive breakdowns galore.

Game 5 he probably shouldve had that one

Probably a bad goal a game or one he wishes he could have back. But as a whole i dont think he has done bad. The defense has failed him something miserable and he hasnt been able to go above and beyond to bail them out

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
My personal opinions

Wasnt a big fan of the 1st goal against in game 1. Goal 2 had a good screen. Goal 3 weak defense and a wide open slot shot being fed from behind the goal... goals 2 and 3 you want him to get ahold of but lets be honest... theyre gonna require a bit of luck. 4th goal was empty net

Game 2... saros shouldve had that one. Got distracted with the jostlin goin on infront of him and Zadorov blast it by him

Game 3.... 1st goal probably couldve got. Partial screen but thing that kills me is the failed clear that leads to the goal and the McCarron penalty that led to that PP. 2nd goal was a redirect by Boeser in the blue paint through the 5 hole.

Game 4... defensive breakdowns galore.

Game 5 he probably shouldve had that one

Probably a bad goal a game or one he wishes he could have back. But as a whole i dont think he has done bad. The defense has failed him something miserable and he hasnt been able to go above and beyond to bail them out
Really good breakdown- I don't think he has been near as bad as some are making it out to be, but- one bad goal per game in the playoffs is not good enough- hard to win a series doing that.

Also, not directed at you but many saying the defense has let him down, been terrible, etc, etc. My only thing about that is we have allowed 11 total goals in 5 games and are giving up 18 shots per game. Kind of hard to be too critical of our D with those kinds of numbers.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
FWIW Moneypucks fancy stats have him at a Goals Saved Above Expected per 60 of 0.362 which is good for 10th out of 23 goalies with a start this postseason. I think that sort of agrees with the argument that Saros has been generally solid but not outstanding.

I think as a whole the D has been really good too outside of the end of Game 4 where we gave up 27% of the goals we have in the whole series.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
6:00 start time for game Friday- that is not ideal. Downtown is going to be an absolute nightmare- stressed just thinking about it- lol

Reactions: LCPreds

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
FWIW Moneypucks fancy stats have him at a Goals Saved Above Expected per 60 of 0.362 which is good for 10th out of 23 goalies with a start this postseason. I think that sort of agrees with the argument that Saros has been generally solid but not outstanding.

I think as a whole the D has been really good too outside of the end of Game 4 where we gave up 27% of the goals we have in the whole series.
So he’s not paid like just an average goalie. He’s supposed to be a star, he hasn’t been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad