Series Talk: Round 1: Predators vs. Canucks

What will be the result of Preds vs. Cancuks series?

• Total voters

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
If we're going to win a game we have to find a way to do something we haven't done all season or for the last few seasons, and that is break a smothering defense, control the puck to find open space, and create offense.

Reactions: hido

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Saros was not what we need him to be.
Carrier has got to be better or be benched.
Lauzon can not get out Lauzoned.
Novak has to show up.
Forsberg, RoR, and Nyquist need to be on the score sheet 5 on 5.
Everyone needs to do better passing and for God's sake can we find a winger that is more useful than Beaverboy?

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
a qualified goalie

is saros
Saros was not what we need him to be.
Carrier has got to be better or be benched.
Lauzon can not get out Lauzoned.
Novak has to show up.
Forsberg, RoR, and Nyquist need to be on the score sheet 5 on 5.
Everyone needs to do better passing and for God's sake can we find a winger that is more useful than Beaverboy?
I got the feeling that Vancouver was a cat playing with its food.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I’ll add that this game did bear out the concerns about having such a long time off. Saros wasn’t sharp and it seemed like we just didn’t have the same jump we usually do. Or maybe Vancouver is just a similar style of team to us that has slightly better players in most of the roles. Guess we’ll see but we at the very least can play with these guys and now we just need to be able to take our opportunities (e.g. Beauvillier hitting a wide open net) and not have horrible breakdowns (Saros 1st goal; D on the third goal).

On a positive note Evangelista was really solid last night. Needs some help from his linemates but he may have been our best forward 5v5. Stastney in limited minutes looked good and his skating still shone even with the higher intensity. Glad to see the two rookies both look like they’re ready for playoff hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Didnt watch the game since 10PM EST start times when i work the next day will kill me.

Havent watched the whole game but goin off the goal highlights:

Saros really needs to get that first goal against and the defense needs to get their heads out of their butts on the third. Not sure what happened everywhere in between but dang those two are killers.

Is there a reason why stastney/schenn were so time limited? Did they get hemmed in when on the ice? Or was it just an experience get icetime thing?

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Didnt watch the game since 10PM EST start times when i work the next day will kill me.

Havent watched the whole game but goin off the goal highlights:

Saros really needs to get that first goal against and the defense needs to get their heads out of their butts on the third. Not sure what happened everywhere in between but dang those two are killers.

Is there a reason why stastney/schenn were so time limited? Did they get hemmed in when on the ice? Or was it just an experience get icetime thing?
A little bit of both for Schenn and Stastney. Stastney, though he evened out a little as the game wore on he too was a bit overwhelmed early on. Schenn probably could have gotten more time, he seemed much more competent against the heavy hitting.

Josi, Carrier and Lauzon were all gun shy going back to get pucks and probably made life harder on themselves playing slower.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
A little bit of both for Schenn and Stastney. Stastney, though he evened out a little as the game wore on he too was a bit overwhelmed early on. Schenn probably could have gotten more time, he seemed much more competent against the heavy hitting.

Josi, Carrier and Lauzon were all gun shy going back to get pucks and probably made life harder on themselves playing slower.
Stastney seemed to struggle with being physically overmatched, but it also felt like he caught on and made some adjustments. Vange too. Novak went the other route and just got completely erased out of the game.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If the officiating standard is basically at carte blanche for defending in front of your own goal, then playing Schenn more may make sense. He might have been the only one who showed signs of being able to match up physically. I wish McDonagh would. I don't know if the others even can... for all of Lauzon's hitting record, he sure seems fairly useless in front of his own goal... a bunch of minor hits along the sideboards doesn't really do much to reduce scoring chances or quality.

Carrier is just utterly useless in that respect - if a puck hits him, he can log shotblocks, but that's about it. Stastney seems more likely to use his skating to defend nicely on the rush or move pucks up, but I don't know if he has any physical element to his game. :dunno: (And if Fabbro was playing, it would basically be a similar role for him, so it wouldn't change things).

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, we don't f***ing clear people out from in front of our net!
Carrier is 5'11" and 174lbs! who is he going to move!
Fabbro is a little bigger at 6' and 190lbs
Stastney is 6' and 185lbs
The other guys are much bigger but can't play the whole game.

So those guys are gonna have to be able to move them or Van will set up screens and block Juuse vision.

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
This series shows our need for a player like L'Heureux. He's not ready yet, but his play style seems like a perfect fit for a series like this where he can play physical and fast.
Hell we need Navrin Mutter his brothers , mother even his grandaddy .Need some of them big dmen like Van. Zadorov and Myers. thats why Foresberg handled the puck like grenade. They were scared . Preds were smashed last night, At this rate 4, or 5 players do not finish this round.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Carrier is 5'11" and 174lbs! who is he going to move!
Fabbro is a little bigger at 6' and 190lbs
Stastney is 6' and 185lbs
The other guys are much bigger but can't play the whole game.

So those guys are gonna have to be able to move them or Van will set up screens and block Juuse vision.
You need a Dman with a mean streak.

I nominate Del Gaizo. I have seen him push some big guys around and throw some hits where I thought the victim was leaving via stretcher, probably 3 or 4 times this year.

The AHL can be a very physical league. Stastney always finishes a game. He avoids some hits and he takes some hits. He will play the puck in the Dzone against King Kong. He seems fearless in Milwaukee.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Hell we need Navrin Mutter his brothers , mother even his grandaddy .Need some of them big dmen like Van. Zadorov and Myers. thats why Foresberg handled the puck like grenade. They were scared . Preds were smashed last night, At this rate 4, or 5 players do not finish this round.
Sorry, Mutter is our guy who makes the other team keep their head on a swivel. His skating and scoring improved in Atlanta.

During the last home games, he rag dolled one guy, then face slammed him to the ice. Later on, somebody came after him. Mutter did not fight back and the other guy got 14 minutes! I saw him smiling, which was a first.

Reactions: Southstarpreds

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Speaking of Beauvillier, I don't remember his name being mentioned much other than when he missed the open net because he can't get the puck more than 0.1mm off the ice.

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
Sorry, Mutter is our guy who makes the other team keep their head on a swivel. His skating and scoring improved in Atlanta.

During the last home games, he rag dolled one guy, then face slammed him to the ice. Later on, somebody came after him. Mutter did not fight back and the other guy got 14 minutes! I saw him smiling, which was a first.
yea I have AHLTV I"ve seen that . The surprising thing about Mutter he can skate , and haves some speed for big guy. you are right he did ragdoll dude. Mutter"s a bad man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad