Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #19: Jay O'Brien, C, MA-USHS --> Providence U

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I don't see the connection to Jankowski other than they went to the same school, but ideally he should be trying to play games. He made the world junior team, so other people were confident in his abilities despite what was going on. I think the problem though is that if he jumps to the Q, then I believe his rights expire next season (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and the question becomes whether or not he's prepared to turn pro (or if he wants to). But it's also worth mentioning that if the answer is no and his rights expire, the Flyers do get a 2nd round pick. So, there's a lot to think about there.

I called him Jankowski 2.0 on the night he was drafted. Overrated and drafted higher than what he should have been (why the Flyers didn't draft one of Veleno, Bokk or Lundestrom is beyond me). On top of it, he was a late 99 playing against considerably lesser skilled players. I get that Thayer Academy has a history of producing quality players. But those quality players played at Thayer for a year or two and then either went on to the USHL or USNTDP for further development (or in the case of Jeremy Roenick, went to the QMJHL and played with the Hull Olympiques). Once again, this is my take on it, so I get that people are going to go off about how 'I don't know the program at Thayer' or that 'I didn't watch many games there'. I'm just simply stating what I think and it's clear from watching O'Brien at Providence that he was simply out of his league.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I called him Jankowski 2.0 on the night he was drafted. Overrated and drafted higher than what he should have been (why the Flyers didn't draft one of Veleno, Bokk or Lundestrom is beyond me). On top of it, he was a late 99 playing against considerably lesser skilled players. I get that Thayer Academy has a history of producing quality players. But those quality players played at Thayer for a year or two and then either went on to the USHL or USNTDP for further development (or in the case of Jeremy Roenick, went to the QMJHL and played with the Hull Olympiques). Once again, this is my take on it, so I get that people are going to go off about how 'I don't know the program at Thayer' or that 'I didn't watch many games there'. I'm just simply stating what I think and it's clear from watching O'Brien at Providence that he was simply out of his league.
Oh ok, if you're comparing the programs, I thought it was comparing the paths.

I don't know if it was this thread or another where I mentioned some of this - the college game isn't necessarily that deep. 1st round draft picks should be getting pretty consistent ice time at the top of the lineup. Obviously the number of reps aren't there in the college game, but opportunities shouldn't have been that difficult to come by. I get the transition might he difficult, but not that difficult. 1st round draft picks almost without exception run pretty high in the lineup virtually the entire time they are in school. Most schools are fortunate to get 2 years from them.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall and the scouts.

Trusting his scouts made Flyers GM Ron Hextall comfortable with draft gamble

In the end, Hextall showed his trust in his scouts.

"If we believe in something, we do it," Hextall said. "We believed in picking Jay O'Brien higher than most people thought he should go, and we feel good about it."

The Hockey News had O'Brien ranked as just the 61st-best prospect.

"It's a risk when you take a kid out of that [high school] level, but if we're just going to go by the board, we don't need scouts, right?" said Hextall, whose organization excelled in his first four drafts. "Our guys have done a real good job. They see things the way they are, we talk about it, we beat it up, and we come to conclusions."

Reactions: FlyguyOX

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Either trust your scouts or get new scouts.

Given their track record under Hextall, I'd trust them.
TK #22, Sanheim #17.
Rubtsov #24, the jury is out but they were right to trade down.
#18 Stanley (traded pick), #19 Bellows, #20 Cholowski, #21 Julien Gauthier, #23 Borgstrom may turn out better, #24-38 meh
Frost #27

Their track record after #15 or so is pretty good.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
giphy.gif

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

BCHL it is. I'll try to get out there this fall.

IIRC the BCHL doesn’t have a draft system in place. So the players can choose where they want to go within that league & Penticton is a popular destination if not the most popular in that league. Fabbro & Jost played there a few years ago before heading off to the NCAA.

The USHL has a draft system & his rights were owned by Youngstown.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He needs to have a fairly dominant year I'd say. Alex Newhook lapped the field, figuratively speaking, this season. O'Brien probably needs to outpace that since he's turning 20.

My thoughts exactly. He better get back on track.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not really a big deal. This is the kind of prospect I just kinda ignore and hope he eventually re-emerges as something good.

Too early to call him a bust, so just have to be patient and hope for the best.

I still don't mind the pick because clearly they were going for upside and I'll never dislike that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Can someone verify....the compensation pick would be a 2nd if/when he never signs, correct? Do we have to wait a few years, or if the Flyers gave up his rights after next season, could they get the 2nd in 2020?

Not saying they would do that, just wondering if anyone knows.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
His rights surely have to expire, which won't be till August, 2023 if he goes back to college after 19-20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad