Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #19: Jay O'Brien, C, MA-USHS --> Providence U

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Flyers have trended to taking a rising player above where he was projected. Between Sanheim and Frost, they justified doing that pretty quickly.
Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Laughton is another example that didn't pay off... and Giroux was also a reach, kinda, and it paid more that anything we can hope for. High risk, high potential reward. As I said, I think we can afford it right now.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Flyers have trended to taking a rising player above where he was projected. Between Sanheim and Frost, they justified doing that pretty quickly.
kid is 19, Bob did not even have him in 1st round.
skating and scoring issues?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Not thrilled about this pick but only because I don't know much about this bro since he was projected as a late first/early second rounder. I can think of a slew of guys I would have taken, or traded back. Once I read up on him I'm sure I'll come around.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
He was a big time riser and I'm sure they've seen him in person to really know what he's all about. I've only seen a few YouTube videos, but he has obvious skill with the puck, but the play level was obviously really low and he was lethal once he had the puck around the net there. I don't know how you can know much more that.

Also, Tony Amonte's opinion may have played a role here.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hate it. Absolutely hate it. I'm disappointed with this pick. It feels like Mark Jankowski all over again.
Jankowski was playing High School hockey in Quebec. This kid was playing at a big time school in a hockey area with NHL roots. A big difference. And even Jankowski turned into an NHL player.

Yah but so was Laberge
Not really. He slipped if anything.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Solid pick IMO. O’Brien was 2nd BPA on my list for the 19th pick.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Yes, the Flyers scouts have absolutely earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to off-the-board picks. Frost was a fabulous pick.

But, O'Brien is a long-term project at a time when many (most?) here thought it was time to step up and change the NHL squad. And he projects to be the same sort of middle-6 / middle-pairing player that is coming out of the Flyers' ears. He's small, feisty, and ... to me seems like another drop in a big bucket of very good prospects.

I want to be pleased. I think the best strategy is to forget about him and be pleasantly surprised in 3-5 years. Farabee is a pleasant surprise and I am chuffed with having him, but again he won't be pushing for a spot on the lineup for years.

Tomorrow is the 23rd. Hopefully, tomorrow will be about today and not just 3+ years from now.

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey
I can see why they like him, and how they scouted him. in this video he is number 11 actually is playing with farabee when he scores. in game number 2 he is playing against noah cates. definitely has potential. great hands, speed and fore check.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Yes, the Flyers scouts have absolutely earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to off-the-board picks. Frost was a fabulous pick.

But, O'Brien is a long-term project at a time when many (most?) here thought it was time to step up and change the NHL squad. And he projects to be the same sort of middle-6 / middle-pairing player that is coming out of the Flyers' ears. He's small, feisty, and ... to me seems like another drop in a big bucket of very good prospects.

I want to be pleased. I think the best strategy is to forget about him and be pleasantly surprised in 3-5 years. Farabee is a pleasant surprise and I am chuffed with having him, but again he won't be pushing for a spot on the lineup for years.

Tomorrow is the 23rd. Hopefully, tomorrow will be about today and not just 3+ years from now.
You know I love you BP, but this really is a good pick. Players at 14 and 19 are not going to make the NHL right away. The Flyers can stash them away for abit. OB has the potential to be a top 6 scoring forward. His skill is unreal. His raw skill might even be better than Farabee. Reason scouts had him so low was because of not only the competition (sportsnet said he chose high school over USHL because each team would put players to fully focus on him and he had to learn to think even faster) but because they just didn’t see him enough. Almost every report says that’s why he isn’t high enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad