• Kings in 5

• Kings in 6

• Kings in 7

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I'm sure glad we avoided the Vegas Cheating-Knights.

I think we match up well versus Los Angeles and McDrai are on a mission this year.

Oilers in 5.

Reactions: 29Beast97Mode

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I'm just glad I don't have to see any more "I sure hope we don't play those guys", or " if we play those guys, it will be tough", or "those guys are avoiding us!". After 82 games, it's LA, and no one else right now. Go get 'em, boys!
LA is asking for a review that they technically pulled Talbot in the overtime. To forfeit their points. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Stoneman89

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Not that it's any surprise, but

200w.gif

and

0938878739cf5e85b645ffe10f2520de.gif

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Overall I'm content with a matchup against LA. It should be a good series. Those saying it will be boring don't take into account the Oilers will have to play a patient and strategical game which is what good teams have to achieve to become the elite teams. They can't turn over the puck.

You don't know what you'll get with Vegas. Likely Dallas will handle them but you never know with cheaters. If they're miraculously healthy they got the depth and the experience to beat Dallas.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Anything less would be incredibly disappointing and a clear indication that this team has learned nothing from past playoff experiences. This tendency to gift their opposition victories shouldn't still be a thing.
A running theme of the McDavid era has been consistently falling behind in games and series. In every series they've played they've been behind at some point.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Teams are separated by 5 points in the standings with Oil at +57 and Kings +41 in goal differential. Oilers with 38 more goals scored. Team scoring percentages are 10.5% Edmonton and 9.7% for the Kings. Arvidsson only playing 18 games was a major injury loss. Interesting the Kings have a better road record 22-15-4 while Oil is 21-18-2 (though they played out the string on the final two road games).

NHL Edge season comparisons of Edmonton and LA: NHL EDGE Puck and Player Tracking Statistics - Comparisons

The Zone Time Splits are interesting. Oil are above average like NHL best in Offensive Zone Time 43.9% and Defensive Zone Time 38.6% while the Kings are below average, 41.2% Offensive Zone Time and 41.0% Defensive Zone Time.

Special Teams the Oilers have the league's fourth best PP at 26.3% while the Kings are 11th, 22.6%. Penalty Kill results are the Kings at league second best, 84.6% and Edmonton at 15th at 79.5%. Kings are tied for second in short-handed goals with 11 while Edmonton had 7.

This is deja-vu all over again. Groundhog Day. Clash of two polar opposite styles.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Teams are separated by 5 points in the standings with Oil at +57 and Kings +41 in goal differential. Oilers with 38 more goals scored. Team scoring percentages are 10.5% Edmonton and 9.7% for the Kings. Arvidsson only playing 18 games was a major injury loss. Interesting the Kings have a better road record 22-15-4 while Oil is 21-18-2 (though they played out the string on the final two road games).

NHL Edge season comparisons of Edmonton and LA: NHL EDGE Puck and Player Tracking Statistics - Comparisons

The Zone Time Splits are interesting. Oil are above average like NHL best in Offensive Zone Time 43.9% and Defensive Zone Time 38.6% while the Kings are below average, 41.2% Offensive Zone Time and 41.0% Defensive Zone Time.

Special Teams the Oilers have the league's fourth best PP at 26.3% while the Kings are 11th, 22.6%. Penalty Kill results are the Kings at league second best, 84.6% and Edmonton at 15th at 79.5%. Kings are tied for second in short-handed goals with 11 while Edmonton had 7.

This is deja-vu all over again. Groundhog Day. Clash of two polar opposite styles.

Interesting to note that Kings are 3rd best in league in GA and nobody at all would be saying its because of the goaltending. They would be best in league in category with goaltending. Also impressive Oilers are as good as they are on the list. Neither team has Grade A goaltending.

Hellebuck showing once again what best goaltending does. The Jets are not the best defending team, yet the lowest GA.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Interesting to note that Kings are 3rd best in league in GA and nobody at all would be saying its because of the goaltending. They would be best in league in category with goaltending. Also impressive Oilers are as good as they are on the list. Neither team has Grade A goaltending.

Hellebuck showing once again what best goaltending does. The Jets are not the best defending team, yet the lowest GA.

Yup, Kings system is predicated on stifling teams and protecting their goaltending. Oilers system is build upon McDavid and its team approach to keep the puck in the opposition's end. Oil finishing top ten in GA is a win. Mantra has been for just league average goaltender and their battery mates have delivered better. The contrast in goaltenders is interesting. Kings bet on two veteran journeymen while the Oilers have had to default to a young, developing guy and a repurposed AHLer.

This series is truly a meeting of opposites in so many ways. All with a standings separation of 5 points.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm half being tongue in cheek and half don't know but the Knights look to have been throwing for weeks. Did you see their collapse against Yotes giving up 6GA in the third. It would only be more suspicious is they were shooting pucks at their net. hehe.

I think in reality though in the backs of minds the teams had some mixed resolve. I think it might feature on some level.

The thing as well is the Knights already got theirs. SC winning teams seldom do anything the followup season and sometimes don't even make playoffs. for the Knights the playoffs will be hard and every series hard anyway. Like they said in Vietnam if you have to die its better to get the bullet the first week. No way that would be a conscious process of thought but perhaps unconscious.

No teams seem to repeat as Cup winners in this day and age. Maybe only during the pandemic time. Dallas could just represent the quickest silver bullet that gets the golf clubs out (yuck)
Vegas played us and Dallas last post season and their players have gone on record saying that Edmonton was the hardest series. That could be a reason why they might want Dallas in the first round.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not that it's any surprise, but

200w.gif

and

0938878739cf5e85b645ffe10f2520de.gif
If its any consolation Ray Ferraro doing the broadcast would be worse than any of these. Surprisingly. He was back to Angry Dad Ray last night just carving an Oilers team that didn't have their 7bext players on ice. Was just an absolute idiot broadcast for the shortbits I watched it. The guy is the worst.

1713559869629.png

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Took a quick spin through the mains and had to laugh at ridiculously stupid Leaf/Flame/Nuck fans referring to a matchup against the Kings as "yet another first round bye for the Oilers."

The mental math that they take the time to piece together that allows them to tell themselves "NO! OILERS ARENT ACTUALLY GOOD!" is equal parts comical and pathetic. Exercise in getting ahead of the narrative so they can explain why the Oilers aren't actually good if we end up going places.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Its not just the stats, the games, its the way he plays. Lots of his questionable tendencies on display yesterday. The lol non movement and then stumble across on the first goal. That is bad. But the point shot where Skinner is down deep, obviously can't see shit, and isn't even trying to get a look at the shot. "if it goes in, it goes in" Skinner has had that tendency in times where he isn't sharp. Another goal is a very dangerous chance but it beats him short and high where Skinner gives up lots of room.

Game prior Skinner had a GA on a routine shot towards net from bad angle. It wasn't even a shot so much as a player wanting to get a whistle, and he lets it in not sealing post. If this is Campbell everybody laughs at him.

I mean this is still Skinner, he isn't anybody else. Pickard may become more important than realized in post season.

Skinner has been overplayed, and wants the starts but has recently been pulled twice. Is he even back to being fatigued again? When Skinner plays well he's quicker to angles, he's on top of crease instead of cage and he's got better general focus and being square to pucks. How he didn't read the pass across on goal yesterday is one clear mystery. I think it could be more that when he has a good move across crease its because he's deep in cage and pushing across from the post. Lateral movement still seems not solved.
In the playoffs the spotlight comes to rest on the goalie and like all spotlights it tends to very revealing.

I have some doubts about him too but if the guys play tight hockey they can probably win with him. Why the coach put him in that first period shooting gallery last night is beyond me??

As I said in my earlier post--the playoffs are like a truth serum and we are about to get a dose of it. We are stoned, immaculate.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Meant to vote Oilers in 7. Somehow turned into Kings in 6. Dont include me with those other clowns please.

Should be a good series. Kings always make things interesting, hopefully the Oilers dont need a game to shake off the rust.

Reactions: Duke74

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In the playoffs the spotlight comes to rest on the goalie and like all spotlights it tends to very revealing.

I have some doubts about him too but if the guys play tight hockey they can probably win with him. Why the coach put him in that first period shooting gallery last night is beyond me??

As I said in my earlier post--the playoffs are like a truth serum and we are about to get a dose of it. We are stoned, immaculate.
The other relavent thing that is getting overlooked (by some) on here...Skinner was a rookie goalie last season.
That was his first playoffs. Grant Fuhr said in an interview (I think that was from last season) that the first playoffs for many goalies is a learning experience. Fuhr had an 0.853 sv% in the playoffs his first season.
Save percentages were lower in those days overall but that was a brutal number.
He was much better after that.

So now we see what Skinner has learned from his first playoff experience.
I wouldnt be writing him off before the series even starts.
Then again...I dont hate the player like some posters do.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The other relavent thing that is getting overlooked (by some) on here...Skinner was a rookie goalie last season.
That was his first playoffs. Grant Fuhr said in an interview (I think that was from last season) that the first playoffs for many goalies is complete learning experience. Fuhr had an 0.853 sv% in the playoffs his first season. Save percentages were lower in those days overall but that was a brutal number.
He was much better after that.

So now we see what Skinner has learned from his first playoff experience.
I wouldnt be writing him off before the series even starts.
Then again...I dont hate the player like some posters do.
Particularly when this specific goalie has shown to be significantly better in his second playoff year at the previous two levels.

I feel reasonably good about Skinner, but there's still some concern and if it starts poorly from him it will be easy to revert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad