• Kings in 7

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Goaltending to put it bluntly. Talbots a better goalie than Skinner, Skinners play has been falling off and Skinner was super fatigued last year like mid way thru the first round and his game fell off hard and we decided to overplay him even more.

I'm not sure how much stock you are putting into tonight's meaningless game where we benched half the team but these are Skinner's season splits leading into tonight's game.

Is that really falling off?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Talbot is 11 years older than Skinner? Skinner was a 16 year old Oilers fan the first time Talbot started 50+ games. He's got a fair amount of miles on him.

And we shall very much see about lesser goalie.
This season Talbot has been the better goalie on a lesser team. Yes Talbot is older but he has proven that he can handle that heavy work load and can stay sharp.

Skinner again has shown that when you get close to and above 50 games his play falls apart.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The biggest worry about this series is Skinner is already fatigued and imho is at is limit. He has already played 9 extra games than he did in the regular season last year. And over the last 30 days he has been…well let’s look at the numbers.

The last 30 days 76 goalies have played 5v5 skinner ranks…
SV% 58th (0.891)
GAA 29th (2.83)
Goals Saved Above Average/60 58th (-0.52)
HDSV%

Skinner is struggling at around the same games played mark as he did last year.

Tonight was another awful period from him. Rough game overall but Skinner was especially bad.

This team is going to have to outscore Skinner again because he isn’t going to be keeping them in games really.

Could I be wrong and the signs don’t actually exist and he is going to flip a switch and be great in the playoffs. Sure absolutely.
It is worrying though.

I mean we started Skinner, a lesser goalie, 59 times.

With Skinner, there seems to be a trend. He’s not ready to start games. He seems to be good in the second/third periods. Playoffs are a different animal though.

Hes going to need the team to be solid in front of him defensively. Hes not going to steal games. Hopefully hes more settled in this year.

I really just hope that Nurse can figure it out on the middle pair. I think him and Skinner are going to be the ones that decide our fate. (Goaltending is always going to decide your fate though lol).

Is probably one advantage of LA over Vegas. I don’t think LA can expose Nurse/Skinner to the same effect that Vegas can.

Hopefully Skinner is good though. We need him.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not sure how much stock you are putting into tonight's meaningless game where we benched half the team but these are Skinner's season splits leading into tonight's game.

Is that really falling off?

If you look at those raw numbers like that yeah but that ignores most context. Look at any goalie analytics and it’s been a decent drop. Letting in bad goals and not stopping the ones he should.

We will see when the playoffs start but my expectations for him in the playoffs are pretty low.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
This season Talbot has been the better goalie on a lesser team. Yes Talbot is older but he has proven that he can handle that heavy work load and can stay sharp.

Skinner again has shown that when you get close to and above 50 games his play falls apart.
But his play didn’t fall apart. At all. The numbers are right there.

If you look at those raw numbers like that yeah but that ignores most context. Look at any goalie analytics and it’s been a decent drop. Letting in bad goals and not stopping the ones he should.

We will see when the playoffs start but my expectations for him in the playoffs are pretty low.

Hope he proves me wrong.
If you’re going to use goalie analytics, which are highly dubious and still reliant on a bunch of uncontrollable variables, you should look at them in the context of a game-by-game basis.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Talbot is 11 years older than Skinner? Skinner was a 16 year old Oilers fan the first time Talbot started 50+ games. He's got a fair amount of miles on him.

And we shall very much see about lesser goalie.
Talbot is the least of our worries, imo. He's an aging goalie who was never a game-breaker in his prime. The key will be consistent effort, focus, and special teams.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

Hope he proves me wrong.

The league average is a .903 and 2.91 so if Skinner is putting up a .915 and 2.20 down the stretch while "letting in bad goals and not stopping the ones he should" he is probably making up for it elsewhere.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
A big variable here is that Hiller can actually make adjustments during the course of the game.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
As long as Skinner can be average EDM will take this fairly easily. No .883 again please.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
But his play didn’t fall apart. At all. The numbers are right there.

If you’re going to use goalie analytics, which are highly dubious and still reliant on a bunch of uncontrollable variables, you should look at them in the context of a game-by-game basis.
Are you sure they are dubious, they usually back up the eye test.

We can ageee to disagree.

IMHO goaltending is going to be a major source of pain in the playoffs for us just like last year.

Let’s hope this time we can outscore it.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Disappointed. I felt like an Oilers - VGK first round matchup would have been a great rematch.

I dont know man. Playoff Vegas is a different beast. And imo, the one team im afraid of in the west is Dallas. And we saw what Vegas did to the Stars last post season, wiped the floor with them.

LA will certainly be a difficult test, again. But its 2 different coaches going head to head this season. A tough, no space, tight checking, trap game series will set up the Oilers for the 2nd round imo, better than Vegas would. I think Vancouver smacks Nashville, and we are bound to play the team that swept us this season. Thats the team i want. Their fans have been talking sht since game 1

Itll be a fun ride, lets buckle up fellas

Reactions: foofighter

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Can he? LA haven’t exactly lit it up since he was hired. Pretty sure Blake is micromanaging the coaching staff regardless.
I think it’s the best matchup we could have asked for, but I am going to miss TMac sticking to the 1-3-1 while down two goals with 7 minutes left in the 3rd.

• Haha
Reactions: brentashton

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think it’s the best matchup we could have asked for, but I am going to miss TMac sticking to the 1-3-1 while down two goals with 7 minutes left in the 3rd.
Pretty sure they still play the 1-3-1 all the time. That’s the way Blake wants them to play. I could be wrong though.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I dont know man. Playoff Vegas is a different beast. And imo, the one team im afraid of in the west is Dallas. And we saw what Vegas did to the Stars last post season, wiped the floor with them.

LA will certainly be a difficult test, again. But its 2 different coaches going head to head this season. A tough, no space, tight checking, trap game series will set up the Oilers for the 2nd round imo, better than Vegas would. I think Vancouver smacks Nashville, and we are bound to play the team that swept us this season. Thats the team i want. Their fans have been talking sht since game 1

Itll be a fun ride, lets buckle up fellas

Agree, but also this Dallas is a better team (overall play) than last year, and the year before. I think Dallas will win in 6 at most.

My biggest concern is that they come out with more injuries due to LA's typical play.

I think the Oilers would get up big for Vancouver, like the Jets did vs them in the bubble

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Pretty sure they still play the 1-3-1 all the time. That’s the way Blake wants them to play. I could be wrong though.
They might at least not do it all the time when they're losing, I dunno. Kings fans all still swear they're the most boring team in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad