GDT: Round 1 - Game 2 - Colorado Avalanche @ Winnipeg Jets - Tuesday, April 23rd, 2024 - 8:30pm CDT - CBC - CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Huge game tonight. Gotta buck that Vegas trend of winning Game 1 then blowing it.

Need to be better defensively. Helle needs to be sharper. And the boys needs to stick to their game, not trying to run and gun with MacKinnon.
I think the good news for the boys is in the last ones I think the team played well and earned the wins - in this one, the team SHOULD know that they likely should have lost this one and know what they need to do so hoping to see a higher level of focus tonight..

If not, I still have tequila

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
thanks Mac

Same offense, more defense please

byfuglien-hit.gif
Man I miss that guy......

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Actually when you think about it, we're really sort of like kryptonite for a team like the Avs. We've been defensively sound most of the season, have the best goalie in the league, and we have decent depth so we can focus on shutting their big guns down and still get scoring from the other lines which takes advantage of their iffy goalies...

Not to say I think we've got this of course. It's still a tough match up. I just don't see why we're being counted out so much.

You seem to be bothered by this too much. Embrace the underdog role. Win 3 more and move on, still underdogs. Win 4 more and move on again. We will still be underdogs. Rinse, repeat twice. They will all be claiming to have known all along that we would win it. :laugh: Next season, we will still be underdogs.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
You seem to be bothered by this too much. Embrace the underdog role. Win 3 more and move on, still underdogs. Win 4 more and move on again. We will still be underdogs. Rinse, repeat twice. They will all be claiming to have known all along that we would win it. :laugh: Next season, we will still be underdogs.

I'm not really bothered by it much at all lol...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup - when you get it DEEP a couple things happen:

You activate our very strong forecheck which will especially cause problems for the Avs bottom 3 D (I don't think they're that good).
It allows our guys to get set to disrupt the Avs speed through the neutral zone which was the main cause of our issues last game (along with some really sloppy puck management in our zone).
If the Avs aren't attacking our blueline with speed, that lets our D gap up with support and causes some big problems for them.

We have a vociferous debate about why a guy like Ehlers giveaways are particularily troublesome, and the reason is a quick transition offense like the Avalanche feed off that. I'm not trying to single Nik out (I thought he was pretty good last game), but also things like Pionks terrible pass to Vilardi that led to Nichuskin's goal. I put 80% of the blame on Pionk, but it's not like he had a lot of support either.

To sum it up - team play, everybody supporting everyone else.

That applies to Ehlers' turnovers. He didn't have much support either.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
and yet you keep posting about it. :huh:

what? lol..I posted two times, within a short period...neither of them particularly emotional statements. It was essentially me saying something, and then thinking of a further point to make a minute later. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sounds like Georgiev is gonna go again for the Avs tonight, gotta take advantage of that shooter tutor.

He will be super motivated to redeem himself. I don't know if he has it in him to play well at this level or not, but if he has 1 good game in the well we should see it tonight.

I think this will be the teller. If we don't tighten up we're in trouble. But if we go back and play our game, win or lose we should be okay.

As long as we all stick together we will be OK.

Reactions: Ponds and Hobble
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad