Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Super stoked he’s coming

MM Frost TK would be so fun.

But don’t kid yourself for a second , this will be Torts grand finale. By the 10th game and he is either scratched or playing bottom 6 , it will garner world wide attention and he will be able to lap it all up like the attention whore he is.

If he is in fact coming , Torts and Rocky can not be coaches.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Jerked him around? What if NHLers had buyout privileges and Michkov, after signing his ECL, put in his 16-month notice to leave Philly. How would Torts react?:eek2: Would Torts bench him and play those 100% committed?:dunno: As NHL fans I think our sense of entitlement gets the best of us sometimes.

Well put. NHL fans are insanely entitled.
Nonetheless Rotenberg is doing same things to players who don't sign extensions. He left Michkov off the U25 national team too. Michkov should've stayed in Yaroslavl. He had a good thing going there.

Rotenberg is a clown. An embarrassment to Russian hockey.

I could be wrong but I took “first line” as “first team” since he referenced both the AHL and ECHL

He said first line. There's so much cringe in that interview, I can't even....

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
How would SKA have any say in anything if the contract is bought out and terminated?
That's part of the negotiations. The original report, unless I am mistaken, was that SKA would loan Michkov to the Flyers, hence they can recall him if he is benched or in the minors. It sounds like there is an option for Michkov to buy out his contract where there wouldn't be any of those stipulations.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
That's part of the negotiations. The original report, unless I am mistaken, was that SKA would loan Michkov to the Flyers, hence they can recall him if he is benched or in the minors. It sounds like there is an option for Michkov to buy out his contract where there wouldn't be any of those stipulations.

Ah, ok. That makes sense, thanks.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The good news is this makes Frost more expendable. The Cute quota is filled. But can they trade Laughton now? Michkov needs his tutelage.

It would be very ironic if the scratching Michkov led to the final NHL game ever coached by John Tortorella

Tortorella would scratch him opening night just to prove he wears the pants.

With how the organization handled Gauthier, I’m really not sure Tortorella doesn’t have some rope to f*** around with Michkov in the name of development.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My thoughts exactly.

"oh he has to play first line, well how does 4th line sound"

I can see Tortorella pulling the KISS Demon routine with Michkov, if he was told Michkov had to play 1st line, and start claiming that we had four 1st lines.

(For those who've never heard this story, WCW signed a deal with KISS to have a wrestler perform as the KISS Demon, the deal including a demand that the Demon would main event a PPV. The gimmick flopped so badly that the guy who negotiated the contract left the company, and they had the Demon wrestle a "Special Main Event" that was actually the 4th match on the card, against a random jobber, just so they wouldn't be sued.)

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
It would be very ironic if the scratching Michkov led to the final NHL game ever coached by John Tortorella
That's the dream. As much as we talk about the influence the Elders have, at the end of the day Comcast writes the checks, and Michkov is a cash cow. He will put asses in the seats for years vs a coach signed for two more who likely won't ever coach again.

That said, I would lay money on Michkov getting at least one healthy scratch and ditto being benched a period or whatever. TORTS can't help himself. And I wouldn't be surprised if he gets away with it once or twice. But long term, MM is too good for them to allow it simply from the point of optics, even if they didn't care about his development.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Friedman 32 Thoughts: the Flyers and NHL know to let that happen quietly without external pressure. People who were telling him that it wasn’t happening all season are now telling him they don’t know. Jeff insinuates that it will make the Flyers question their offseason plans.

I don’t see Michkov’s agent letting Michkov be beholdened to a loan from SKA while being in the NHL. Not sure I’ve ever even heard of such a thing, only if they otherwise would’ve been sent down, and the only reason I’d see that happening is if he were to join the Phantoms for the playoffs.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
How would SKA have any say in anything if the contract is bought out and terminated?

If Michkov were to buy out his contract this month he needed to give notice 16 months ago, which was well before he was drafted. So he probably put in a notice, but much later on.

Both parties know the long-term end game......Michkov in Philadelphia. So they're likely finding common ground to make that happen earlier. Michkov goes to the NHL, SKA gets more out of it than just his buyout amount; which isn't that much to begin with.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Which is why if they free up any cap space they should use it to improve at C.
I hear you but I can't imagine a scenario where the Flyers can land a true 1C without overpaying ridiculously. They are still in desperate need of top-end talent and can't be dealing multiple assets for a middling 1C who is past his prime.

Reactions: tenebrionid

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I hear you but I can't imagine a scenario where the Flyers can land a true 1C without overpaying ridiculously. They are still in desperate need of top-end talent and can't be dealing multiple assets for a middling 1C who is past his prime.
They will make a run at Lindholm or Stephenson imo 100%. Not true #1 mind you. Still think they ask about Kadri.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Its really telling the emphasis coming from Russia about letting MM play. The hockey world is well aware of the Flyers dinosaur ways and young talented players are making it known they dont want to put up with it.

Also...this is a 19 year old kid whose endured a life of superstar attention. Hes gonna come with some rough edges. Hes going to cocky, immature, and a hothead at times...all things the Flyers (and philly) historically hate. The approach cannot be change immediatley at 19/20 years old or else we dont want you. Let the kid make mistakes and grow as a person. The worst thing is torts battling him on shit like this, the media jumping on it,and the old school fans set on running him out of town.

Harper is a great example. He was very immature when he came into the league but it largely stemmed from his competativeness. Now? Hes grown up, matured, and channels that competetive side in a way the philly fans love. Give this kid a chance to do the same.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Its really telling the emphasis coming from Russia about letting MM play. The hockey world is well aware of the Flyers dinosaur ways and young talented players are making it known they dont want to put up with it.

Also...this is a 19 year old kid whose endured a life of superstar attention. Hes gonna come with some rough edges. Hes going to cocky, immature, and a hothead at times...all things the Flyers (and philly) historically hate. The approach cannot be change immediatley at 19/20 years old or else we dont want you. Let the kid make mistakes and grow as a person. The worst thing is torts battling him on shit like this, the media jumping on it,and the old school fans set on running him out of town.

Harper is a great example. He was very immature when he came into the league but it largely stemmed from his competativeness. Now? Hes grown up, matured, and channels that competetive side in a way the philly fans love. Give this kid a chance to do the same.
Rotenberg is Tortorella with oil instead of horses

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Yeah and that is what makes it tricky. Unless they trade Farabee to try and make it work. They could trade Frost as well as much as it pains me to say it because I think he is unhappy and probably needs a reset somewhere else.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Rotenberg interview

— Is it true that SKA is letting Matvey Michkov go to Philadelphia?

— There is no official decision yet. And we can’t say that we are letting anyone go. You see, this is a serious question. We can talk about some agreements, including rights. You know that Michkov is a high-level player. And if someone wants to buy these rights, let’s discuss.

— Can Philadelphia technically do this?

— I don’t want to reveal a commercial secret. But you understand that we invested a lot in Matvey. And if he does not become the leader of Philadelphia, then we will definitely wait for him back in the KHL.

And I will emphasize that this whole story was influenced by Michkov’s family situation. We need to support him in this. This is not a hockey issue, but a family issue. And we all must support Matvey.

— It’s good that you have a dialogue with the Flyers.

- We have the opportunity to communicate. We know different languages well. It is very important in our work to speak different languages. In general, I advise all children to study as many foreign languages as possible so that they can talk to everyone. Communication is the basis of everything.

And we have good communication, we communicate with everyone. We are absolutely open. And we invested a lot in Matvey, I can honestly tell you. I personally did a lot to ensure that he played for us, so that he would come to us. I personally did this. I invested a lot of time and effort into developing this player in our organization.

But we want to support Matvey as a family. We want to give him the opportunity to develop. If, for example, he cannot play in the first line of Philadelphia and does not receive the first majority there, if he is sent to the AHL or even to the East Coast League, then we will do everything to ensure that Michkov returns and plays only in the KHL.

I say again, these issues are still in dialogue. We want Matvey to receive maximum support in his family situation. After all, family values are above all.

— Why do NHL clubs regularly send players with their contracts on loan to the KHL, but we cannot do this
— Legally, this can be called differently. But that's practically what we do. With Michkov, this is such an example. You can call it whatever you want. However, if he does not play in the first line of Philadelphia, he will return to us. That's all.
Maybe the flyers dont want that clause. Because Matvei should earn his spot on the Roster! I dont think it is a financial problem! This taste like we want him to earn it. We dont give Roster spots on merit! Its stupid but its the flyers way. See Gauthier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad