OT: Rostraver Ice Garden Finalist for Kraft Hockeyville (Go vote!)

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Hey guys, as you know every year Kraft run its Hockeyville promotion and this year a local rink has made the Top 10, the Ice Garden in the Mon Valley (Rostraver, PA along Route 51).

This rink holds a special place in my heart. Between learning to skate there, watching friends play games there, concerts, and ECW shows I, and a lot of Mon Valley residences have many good memories there. It's a very dated rink that could desperately use the updates.

About 7/8 year ago, during one of the big snows and as a tournament was being run, the roof of the rink caved in (thankfully no one was injured) and put a lot of high school and mite and midget teams' seasons in jeopardy and chaos.

The Western PA hockey community is growing at a very fast pace and facilities and ice times are shrinking instead of growing. The Ice Garden could soon join that terrible trend. The long time owner, Murph, is getting old (late 70s) and his children don't want to keep the rink going when he steps down, so Murph is trying to sell to someone or a group that will keep the rink going. So far the state of the rink has not attracted any groups/people that want to keep it as an ice rink (besides the local Mon Valley Thunder hockey organization, but they are a non-profit with limited funds). The only real interest has been from FedEx and UPS to turn it into a distribution hub. This would be a devastating blow to not just the Mon Valley and Western PA hockey community, but the Mon Valley as a whole as the Ice Garden is a great little venue for small concerts, Indy Wrestling shows, and small conventions, not to mention Friday and Saturday night hangouts during free skate for kids.

Please go on the www.krafthockeyville.com and vote (all 50 times ;) ) for the Ice Garden. I, and my 10 year old self, thanks you.

2616.jpg

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That walk to the locker room is the worst. It's been a long time since i've played there, but you used to have to walk right by the fans with your gear to get to your locker room. It had to be super annoying to the people watching the game before.

I think I also saw Dropkick Murphys here when i was in high school.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I will never forget how hard the boards are. no give at all. and the open rut that the puck would slide out of the rink.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Holy Cow. I figured that place was long gone. When I was a lad, that was about the only indoor rink in the entire area. If you couldn't get there, then you were limited to playing at an outdoor rink a few months/year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I love that place. I have a lot of memories there. I started playing for the Westmoreland Eagles in mites so we played there a lot against the Thunder. In high school we played Serra Catholic there a bunch as well and I think I even played there in college a few times. I saw The Academy Is... there in college as well.

I will vote daily and hope they win.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'll probably vote in the hopes that they replace the boards which are literally made out of cement

God I hate that place

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Grew up about 10 minutes from the Ice Gardens. Would be really nice to see them win and get the upgrades.

I remember seeing Story of The Year and Anberlin years ago here.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I remember that place being a real hole. The locker room smelled like sewer and dip spit, and the water was brown.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Voted. Never managed to play a game at Rostraver since I was on the north side of the city (Belmont FTW) but we definitely need as many operational rinks as possible here in West PA.

glees68

Penn State
Dec 20, 2008
Pittsburgh
Voted 101 times, both yesterday and today :laugh: It was my rink growing up, and I'd love to see the renovations completed and a preseason game there. Murph is a great guy, so, hopefully, Rostraver pulls it out! :nod:

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
I will never forget how hard the boards are. no give at all. and the open rut that the puck would slide out of the rink.

We used to tell the newer guys on the teams that the boards were filled with concrete when we'd travel to play there. No reason not to believe us.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
If there is any place that needs it, it's this place. I am sad to see the beautiful wood beams gone though.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Thank you as the area is in need of a cash infusion! :handclap:

Yeah for sure. I have a lot of great memories playing there. If they win I'm going to try to make it for the pre-season game, although tickets will probably be tough to get.

tanoyidsot

May 21, 2009
They got my 50 today. Hope they win it!!!
150k if they win, 75k if they lose. Either way they get some cash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad