Recalled/Assigned: Roster updates

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Roster update: Defenceman Jonathan Aspirot has been re-assigned from the #Sens taxi squad to
@BellevilleSens
. In a corresponding move, defenceman Erik Brannstrom has been recalled from Belleville and re-assigned to the #Sens taxi squad.

Coburn on waivers

What was the point of Aspirot on the taxi squad at all?

Why not brann originally? Or Jaros? Or Lajoie? Even if the intent was to trade those last two all along maybe they get some NHL time and slightly increase their value. Aspirot on the TS just never made any sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What was the point of Aspirot on the taxi squad at all?

Why not brann orinially? Or Jaros? Or Lajoie? Even if the intent was to trade those last two all along maybe they get some NHL time and slightly increase their value. Aspirot on the TS just never made any sense to me.

Because we wanted to give Brann some AHL minutes. Since the AHL seems like it might get canceled, we're shuffling things around to give him NHL minutes.

Most teams aren't putting their prospects on their taxi squads. Taxi squads are for AHL lifers and plugs. Not prospects.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Because we wanted to give Brann some AHL minutes. Since the AHL seems like it might get canceled, we're shuffling things around to give him NHL minutes.

Most teams aren't putting their prospects on their taxi squads. Taxi squads are for AHL lifers and plugs. Not prospects.

But we knew that the AHL wasn't starting until at least now on opening night. Not for us at least.

And even if that was the case why not someone who could have actually filled in, instead of Aspirot who is just developing a decent AHL game at this point in his career. It just seemed like a weird choice from the get go.

Reactions: bert and branch

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
But we knew that the AHL wasn't starting until at least now on opening night. Not for us at least.

And even if that was the case why not someone who could have actually filled in, instead of Aspirot who is just developing a decent AHL game at this point in his career. It just seemed like a weird choice from the get go.

DJ ran the best training camp . Aspirot attended Brannstrom didn't. I would bet that Aspirot out performed most of the vets that were given a pass to make the roster.

Looking for some logic and foresight in Dorion's decisions makes it hard for most of us to understand wtf he is doing with just about everything he does.

Reactions: bert

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

None of what this team does makes any sense. Brannstrom wasn't put on the taxi squad or main roster because he "missed too much camp". So after sitting at home for 3-4 weeks he's ready now?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

But the AHL wasn't set to begin til February. Why not put them on the taxi squad until the AHL started since they can adjust the taxi squad at any time.

It should have always been the young guys like brown,formenton, brannstrom on the team with guys like Anisimov, Paquette, Coburn on the taxi squad. If the young guys struggled, you throw in the vets you acquired.

At no point should the strategy have been to play the journeyman 4th liners while the young guys sit in a hotel. That was actually so stupid.

When we brought all these old guys, I was ok with it with the impression they wouldn't be taking ice time in favour of guys like white. I thought it was obvious these old guys would be spare parts to plug in when young guys hit a wall.

If you told me the plan was to play the old guys while the young guys play nhl21 in their hotel room, I would have flipped out at the start.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Why am I so confused with this? So all three sent to taxi squad and no one up?

No.

Aspirot(taxi squad to AHL)
Coburn (NHL to taxi squad)
Brann (AHL to taxi squad to NHL)

Aspirot to AHL. Coburn to taxi. Bran to NHL. One for one for one trade. (I think you need to go to taxi squad as a buffer and can't go straight from AHL to NHL or vice versa)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
None of what this team does makes any sense. Brannstrom wasn't put on the taxi squad or main roster because he "missed too much camp". So after sitting at home for 3-4 weeks he's ready now?
He didn't really sit at home, the taxi squad practiced with the NHL club, the AHL group practiced together with Mann.

Reactions: swiftwin

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
But the AHL wasn't set to begin til February. Why not put them on the taxi squad until the AHL started since they can adjust the taxi squad at any time.

It should have always been the young guys like brown,formenton, brannstrom on the team with guys like Anisimov, Paquette, Coburn on the taxi squad. If the young guys struggled, you throw in the vets you acquired.

At no point should the strategy have been to play the journeyman 4th liners while the young guys sit in a hotel. That was actually so stupid.

When we brought all these old guys, I was ok with it with the impression they wouldn't be taking ice time in favour of guys like white. I thought it was obvious these old guys would be spare parts to plug in when young guys hit a wall.

If you told me the plan was to play the old guys while the young guys play nhl21 in their hotel room, I would have flipped out at the start.

I thought the opposite was obvious. You want to give the kids positive reinforcement, not negative punishment.

You're supposed to let the vets establish themselves and set a benchmark, then let the kids prove they can play better than the vets and beat that benchmark (positive reinforcement). Not the other way around where you give the kids a spot they don't deserve over established NHLers, then punish them when they play poorly.

Guys like Paquette and Anisimov were legit NHLers. Anisimov was on pace for 25 goals last season, and Paquette was a mainstay on the 4th line of one of the best teams in the NHL for the last 6 seasons (and still only 27yrs old). They were brought in as legit NHLers, not spare parts.

Reactions: Cosmix

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
He didn't really sit at home, the taxi squad practiced with the NHL club, the AHL group practiced together with Mann.

I realize that, but I don't see how that is more beneficial to a 21-year old that was already playing pro hockey than being put on the taxi squad or main roster.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I thought the opposite was obvious. You want to give the kids positive reinforcement, not negative punishment.

You're supposed to let the vets establish themselves and set a benchmark, then let the kids prove they can play better than the vets and beat that benchmark (positive reinforcement). Not the other way around where you give the kids a spot they don't deserve over established NHLers, then punish them when they play poorly.

Guys like Paquette and Anisimov were legit NHLers. Anisimov was on pace for 25 goals last season, and Paquette was a mainstay on the 4th line of one of the best teams in the NHL for the last 6 seasons (and still only 27yrs old). They were brought in as legit NHLers, not spare parts.

I'm surprised with how bad Paquette has been. I thought that his acquisition was a good one, and expected him to be a great 4th or even 3rd line option. Anisimov, despite having a decent season last year, was strictly a money-related acquisition.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'm surprised with how bad Paquette has been. I thought that his acquisition was a good one, and expected him to be a great 4th or even 3rd line option. Anisimov, despite having a decent season last year, was strictly a money-related acquisition.

Me too. I was looking forward to what Paquette could bring. He's been a big disappointment for me.

Coburn should never have been playing. He's had about 2 good periods. It's been obvious this guy is done as a regular player for some time. I still can't believe he made the lineup out of camp.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I realize that, but I don't see how that is more beneficial to a 21-year old that was already playing pro hockey than being put on the taxi squad or main roster.

I'm not sure of the difference, aside frpm being easier to move into the roster for an actual game, why would being on the taxi squad be better for his development than practicing with Mann? Presumably there is more time on the ice pad for guys with the AHL club than those on the taxi squad because the taxi squad and nhl team likely practice less given they have to keep those on the main roster fresh for actual games.

The taxi squad to me feels like a bit of a limbo, i don't think it's in any way better for guys that still need development, its for spare parts. You give up a better developmental situation for faster callups (in the nhl bubble so no quarantine).

I think Brannstrom should have been on the main roster the whole time, but he might have been rusty given he essentially did back to back quarantines, one on arrival in Canada and another because he had a close contact with covid, not sure the right decision was made but accept that its more nuanced than many are letting on.

Reactions: GCK

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

We were going for the cup when the season started. Now we are no longer in the race so now it's ok with PD and DJ that we just develop the kids

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Does Brannstrom have to do another 7 day quarantine now, after being moved to Taxi squad

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
DJ ran the best training camp . Aspirot attended Brannstrom didn't. I would bet that Aspirot out performed most of the vets that were given a pass to make the roster.

Looking for some logic and foresight in Dorion's decisions makes it hard for most of us to understand wtf he is doing with just about everything he does.

We didn't award the Bochenski this year. Maybe DJ earned that award, with all the praise he got from Dorion for running the best training camp he'd ever seen or heard tell of.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

They knew the AHL wasnt starting for atleast two weeks before the NHL season. You spin me right round baby right round like a record baby round round round round.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think we will bring up either Brown or Formenton in 7-10 days and then the other 7-10 days later.

Hopefully we have 10 guys 24 and under on the roster by the halfway point of the season along with 25 year old Zub, Wolanin and Paul. That would be a youth movement as that’s 13 of 18 skaters.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'm just concerned with how much winning culture is off the team with Coburn gone. Who owns Bryan Bickell's rights anyway?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

We’re not most teams though. We should have been using our taxi squad like no other team has. That’s the stage we are in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad