Roster Thread (2023-2024 Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Although a Samuelsson-Power paring makes sense, I'm just not sold that Samuelsson can stay healthy enough to be a top 4 d men.

That's a fair assessment of Samuelsson, but he will be here next year.

The 1st and Ostlund is fair and have no problem with it. I just feel Bryson isn't intriguing enough for TB to pull the trigger on that deal.

he's not even important in this deal. You could drop him entirely and we could also not retain him and it wouldn't matter.

Pretty much. Bryson is a throw in that we might not even qualify who has played well in spurts this year.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Tampa is gonna let Stamkos walk to keep the rest of the team together? Seems to be a divide forming with Tampa and Stamkos

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Tampa is gonna let Stamkos walk to keep the rest of the team together? Seems to be a divide forming with Tampa and Stamkos
I'll believe it when I see it. Don't get me wrong, I read the same stuff, that Stamkos wasn't happy they haven't discussed a new contract etc.

I am just not getting my hopes up because seemingly anytime one of the "haves" in the league is about to lose a piece or they are supposedly tight against the cap, they always manage to find a way to fix it or get bailed out by another team.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'll believe it when I see it. Don't get me wrong, I read the same stuff, that Stamkos wasn't happy they haven't discussed a new contract etc.

I am just not getting my hopes up because seemingly anytime one of the "haves" in the league is about to lose a piece or they are supposedly tight against the cap, they always manage to find a way to fix it or get bailed out by another team.

It's been about 8 years of hearing how Tampa is going to have cap issues. Good teams figure out how to keep their good players or utilize them until the end of their usefulness.

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
When players in the top six don’t defend well or need someone to retrieve pucks…

I am less impressed that they immediately put Peterka-Cozens-Quinn together.

It seems that for whatever reason Cozens gets a lot of preferential treatment for linemates to get going this year.

My tinfoil hat says that Quinn is going from zero practice to 100% full participant because the org is chasing their 91 point season last year. An 81 point season is tougher for them to defend. Where as if they can get to 89 points Kevyn Adams can get up there and provide some platitude like "we were basically the same as last year, 2 points away from 91 is one game going the other way. I would say we learned and grew more this year than any other".

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Got a little....aggressiveView attachment 841623
This team won’t fit under the cap in the next year or the year after. Unless you’re dumping Tuch or Byram when they want a much-earned raise?

Not to mention the other guys who will need new contracts. It’s why doing one-year roster/cap projections is ann exercise that results in completely unrealistic options.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This team won’t fit under the cap in the next year or the year after. Unless you’re dumping Tuch or Byram when they want a much-earned raise?

Not to mention the other guys who will need new contracts. It’s why doing one-year roster/cap projections is ann exercise that results in completely unrealistic options.

That team is at 68M for 14 players in 25-26.

The cap will be 90M then.

There isn't a guarantee that all Peterka, Quinn, and Byram will all need big deals.

And if they do, that is a good problem to have.

Good teams have cap issues when they are successful. You can probably move one of Peterka/Quinn on if you need to, given they have forwards bubbling up the system. The issue is if that team isn't successful and still has cap issues.

Reactions: Krieger Bot

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

There isn't a guarantee that all Peterka, Quinn, and Byram will all need big deals.

Good teams have cap issues when they are successful. You can probably move one of Peterka/Quinn on if you need to, given they have forwards bubbling up the system. The issue is if that team isn't successful and still has cap issues.
After a Byram extension you will be looking at having around 30mil locked up long term in 4 D, Dahlin, Power, Byram, Mattias.

I would expect Byram to get a deal at least in inline with Powers cap% if he continues playing as he has since coming here.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
After a Byram extension you will be looking at having around 30mil locked up long term in 4 D, Dahlin, Power, Byram, Mattias.

I would expect Byram to get a deal at least in inline with Powers cap% if he continues playing as he has since coming here.

That Power deal just keeps looking worse. Complete fumble by the front office. If they waited a until this summer, he's signing a 3 year bridge in the 5-6M range.

I'd have to see the comps on a Byram contract. I can't think of a direct correlation right now.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

You’ll have to give up both Quinn and JJP with this roster. Which would be fine if it wasn’t sad that you’re having offload young, developing players for cap reasons when you’re a fringe playoff team at best with Cirelli and Bertuzzi.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
That Power deal just keeps looking worse. Complete fumble by the front office. If they waited a until this summer, he's signing a 3 year bridge in the 5-6M range.

I'd have to see the comps on a Byram contract. I can't think of a direct correlation right now.
Once you do the calculations you realize that icing a good team is almost impossible with the Power contract. Unless these young guys and prospects really start outperforming their contracts in a big way; Krebs, JJP, Quinn, Kulich, et al. And the rest of the team goes back to their 2022 production levels.

The Power deal totally f’d us indeed.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
When players in the top six don’t defend well or need someone to retrieve pucks…

I am less impressed that they immediately put Peterka-Cozens-Quinn together.
Oh boy am I sick of that line. They have 1 great game for every 3-4 iffy-to-bad games. I have to think Granato keeps them together because Cozens once said they could be together for the next 10 years. Cozens just isn't a strong enough two-way center to carry two young lads around the ice, especially Peterka who is allergic to playing a two-way game. I'd much rather Donny spread the skill out.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
This pretty much encapsulates my Sabres fandom

FB_IMG_1711588887684.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad