WJC: Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Goalies:
Janne Juvonen, Pelicans
Joonas Korpisalo, Jokerit
Eetu Laurikainen, Swift Current Broncos (WHL)

Defencemen:
Henri Auvinen, JYP-Akatemia
Petteri Lindbohm, Jokerit
Esa Lindell, Jokerit
Olli Määttä, London Knights (OHL)
Ville Pokka, Kärpät
Juuso Riikola, KalPa
Rasmus Ristolainen, TPS
Juuso Vainio, HPK
Mikko Vainonen, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
Joonas Valkonen, Blues Espoo.

Forwards:
Miro Aaltonen, Blues
Joel Armia, Ässät
Aleksander Barkov, Tappara
Markus Granlund, HIFK
Henrik Haapala, Tappara
Markus Hännikäinen, Jokerit
Juuso Ikonen, Blues
Henri Ikonen, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
Ville Järveläinen, Peliitat
Matti Lamberg, Jokerit
Artturi Lehkonen, KalPa
Robert Leino, HPK
Thomas Nykopp, HIFK
Saku Salminen, Jokerit
Miikka Salomäki, Kärpät
Teuvo Teräväinen, Jokerit

(http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/2012120316405657_jk.shtml)

Doesn't seem too shabby imo :p

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
I believe we will see something like this:

Salomaki - Granlund - Armia
Teravainen - Barkov - Lehkonen
Hannikainen - Aaltonen - Lamberg
Nykopp - Leino/Salminen - ?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Finally some size with skill in key roles. Especially at defence + Barkov and Armia of course.

Goalies:
Janne Juvonen, Pelicans 6'1/183
Joonas Korpisalo, Jokerit 6'2/168
Eetu Laurikainen, Swift Current Broncos (WHL) 5'10/161

Defencemen:
Rasmus Ristolainen, TPS, 6'3/207, Right
Mikko Vainonen, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL), 6'3/207, Left
Petteri Lindbohm, Jokerit, 6'2/209, Left
Olli Määttä, London Knights (OHL), 6'2/203, Left
Henri Auvinen, JYP-Akatemia, 6'2/198, Left
Esa Lindell, Jokerit, 6'2/192, Left
Joonas Valkonen, Blues Espoo, 6'2/190, Left
Ville Pokka, Kärpät, 6'0/198, Right
Juuso Riikola, KalPa, 6'0/157, Left
Juuso Vainio, HPK, 5'11/181, Right

Forwards:
C Aleksander Barkov, Tappara, 6'3/205, Left
RW Joel Armia, Ässät, 6'3/203, Right
LW Saku Salminen, Jokerit, 6'3/198, Left
F Thomas Nykopp, HIFK, 6'3/190, Left
LW Markus Hännikäinen, Jokerit 6'2/183, Left
F Henri Ikonen, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL), 6'0/196, Left
F Robert Leino, HPK 6'0/176, Right
W Miikka Salomäki, Kärpät, 5'11/198, Left
LW Markus Granlund, HIFK, 5'11/172, Left
C Teuvo Teräväinen, Jokerit, 5'11/165, Left
RW Matti Lamberg, Jokerit 5'11/165, Right
F Miro Aaltonen, Blues, 5'10/165, Left
W Artturi Lehkonen, KalPa 5'10/152, Left
F Juuso Ikonen, Blues 5'9/170, Right
W Henrik Haapala, Tappara, 5'9/142, Left
RW Ville Järveläinen, Peliitat 5'5/148, Right

Added sizes, handnesses and most probable positions.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
It's actually rather balanced group of guys. Not much high-end talent but I find this year a little bit better than last year. A lot of SM-liiga experience too.

Goalies:
Janne Juvonen, Pelicans
Joonas Korpisalo, Jokerit
Eetu Laurikainen, Swift Current Broncos (WHL)

Defencemen:
Henri Auvinen, JYP-Akatemia
Petteri Lindbohm, Jokerit
Esa Lindell, Jokerit
Olli Määttä, London Knights (OHL)
Ville Pokka, Kärpät
Juuso Riikola, KalPa
Rasmus Ristolainen, TPS
Juuso Vainio, HPK
Mikko Vainonen, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
Joonas Valkonen, Blues Espoo.

Forwards:
Miro Aaltonen, Blues
Joel Armia, Ässät
Aleksander Barkov, Tappara
Markus Granlund, HIFK
Henrik Haapala, Tappara
Markus Hännikäinen, Jokerit
Juuso Ikonen, Blues
Henri Ikonen, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
Ville Järveläinen, Peliitat
Matti Lamberg, Jokerit
Artturi Lehkonen, KalPa
Robert Leino, HPK
Thomas Nykopp, HIFK
Saku Salminen, Jokerit
Miikka Salomäki, Kärpät
Teuvo Teräväinen, Jokerit

Bolded the guys you should keep an eye on, imo ofcourse. Lehkonen is the most "in radar" one for me.

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
It's actually rather balanced group of guys. Not much high-end talent but I find this year a little bit better than last year. A lot of SM-liiga experience too.

Teravainen - Barkov - Lehkonen has way brighter future than any guys who played last year if you compare them as line, yes i said it Barkov is way more talented than Granlund.

Teravainen > Ma Granlund ainec
Barkov > Mi Granlund
Lehkonen > Pulkkinen

FlutteringSaucer

Apr 27, 2012
Teravainen - Barkov - Lehkonen has way brighter future than any guys who played last year if you compare them as line, yes i said it Barkov is way more talented than Granlund.

Barkov > Mi Granlund
Lehkonen > Pulkkinen

You're really selling MaG short here. The one in your list that is "ainec" is the difference between Lehkonen and Pulkkinen. Sure Teravainen has higher upside than MaG but upside doesn't matter here. TT in on a great phase to very similar point totals that Granlund put up last year. Both are guys that aren't yet capable of being the go-to guy on their line in SM-Liiga but can be very productive in the right environment. Also I think that MiG might have better offensive talent than Barkov but the 2-way game and Barkov's frame make him a superior prospect.

Really happy with the fact that we finally have decent size in the roster and that there are so many SM-Liiga regulars in the team. CHL guys are the only ones coming from juniors. Hope it shows in their confidence that most guys are playing against lesser opposition than what they've used to.

A bit concerned about the youth of the team and goalies. Hope they prove that they aren't just a team with a lot of upside. Don't we really have any older goalies except Ullberg who's having a terrible year?

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I believe we will see something like this:

Salomaki - Granlund - Armia
Teravainen - Barkov - Lehkonen
Hannikainen - Aaltonen - Lamberg
Nykopp - Leino/Salminen - ?

Juuso Ikonen will be on the 3rd line next to Aaltonen. I think many finns will be surprised how good Aaltonen and Ikonen have come especially Aaltonen.

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
You're really selling MaG short here. The one in your list that is "ainec" is the difference between Lehkonen and Pulkkinen. Sure Teravainen has higher upside than MaG but upside doesn't matter here. TT in on a great phase to very similar point totals that Granlund put up last year. Both are guys that aren't yet capable of being the go-to guy on their line in SM-Liiga but can be very productive in the right environment. Also I think that MiG might have better offensive talent than Barkov but the 2-way game and Barkov's frame make him a superior prospect.

Really happy with the fact that we finally have decent size in the roster and that there are so many SM-Liiga regulars in the team. CHL guys are the only ones coming from juniors. Hope it shows in their confidence that most guys are playing against lesser opposition than what they've used to.

A bit concerned about the youth of the team and goalies. Hope they prove that they aren't just a team with a lot of upside. Don't we really have any older goalies except Ullberg who's having a terrible year?

I followed Ma after Mi came to the map, I followed TT after friends friend who had kid playing in the D's told me that there might be one kid who is something else (Waited till he was on B and went to check him out), from that instant i knew he will be something special, same as i laid my eyes first time on Mi Granlund. Sometimes you just get that intuition when you watch one playing, i didn't get it when i was watching Ma for the first time and i'm rarely completely off when i get that feeling.

If you compare Ma and TT in every single aspect of their game currently there ain't even one where Ma is over TT currently. Not to mention the fact that TT is one year and half younger than Ma is. TT is also playing against top defensive players shift to shift, Ma ain't, yet TT's producing better.

FlutteringSaucer

Apr 27, 2012
If you compare Ma and TT in every single aspect of their game currently there ain't even one where Ma is over TT currently. Not to mention the fact that TT is one year and half younger than Ma is. TT is also playing against top defensive players shift to shift, Ma ain't, yet TT's producing better.
I'm not arguing that TT wouldn't be a better prospect than Ma because he is. But huge part of his prospect value is because of his upside which doesn't matter at all in this tourney. Also Markus faced last year the toughest opposition because of playing with his brothers. It's not like he's been playing against bottom lines.

I also think and hope that atm TT>MaG but it's not "ainec" as you stated. MaG being a year older is actually an argument in his favor not the other way around here.

But yeah let's not derail the topic with kind of pointless dispute here. TT will be in his first WJC and I hope he can continue he's great play there.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Really good-looking depth this year, a bit helped by having so many great underagers(similar to Sweden last year). I don't think that's a concern when said underagers are playing men's hockey and doing it very well. It's a team to count with.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would be pretty surpriced, if Barkov is not the 1st line center. He is the best player in this team, plays most minutes of these youngsters at SM-Liiga (against men) and produces most points.

Teräväinen is nice to have in the 2nd line. We will have two great units because of two superb playmakers.

Some SM-Liiga icetimes:

Barkov 19:22
Salomäki 17:54
Granlund 16:16
Armia 15:59
Teräväinen 15:42
Lehkonen 15:41
Ikonen 13:42
Haapala 13:32

Defence:
Ristolainen 20:09
Pokka 18:16
Lindell 16:37
Auvinen 16:28
Vainio 16:14
Riikola 15:49
Lindbohm 14:06

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Salomaki-Granlund-Armia
Haapala-Barkov-Lehkonen
Teravainen-Aaltonen-J.Ikonen
Nykopp-Salminen-Lamberg

Maatta - Ristolainen
Pokka - Vainonen
Lindell - Lindbohm

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010

Barkov > Mi Granlund
Lehkonen > Pulkkinen

Talent =/= potential

Yes it's probably true what you said about these player comparisons, but I don't know why you're looking at this from a potential-down-the-line viewpoint. Barkov may be more talented than Granlund, but there's no doubt which of them is better, last year's Granlund or this year's Barkov. I'd say Granlund is considerably better (not by a landslide but better). Also Pulkkinen from last year I would consider better than Lehkonen now. Pulkkinen is more experienced and stronger. Lehkonen may prove me wrong however. Only Teräväinen is clearly better than Ma Granlund.

Anyhow, I think we have a very balanced group this year, and the most important thing is that our defense is much stronger than last year.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
YARR123;56209209Also Pulkkinen from last year I would consider better than Lehkonen now. Pulkkinen is more experienced and stronger. Lehkonen may prove me wrong however.[/QUOTE said:
It's easy to be better than Pulkkinen was last year.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Salomaki-Granlund-Armia
Haapala-Barkov-Lehkonen
Teravainen-Aaltonen-J.Ikonen
Nykopp-Salminen-Lamberg

Maatta - Ristolainen
Pokka - Vainonen
Lindell - Lindbohm

There is a reason why Haapala was dropped from Barkovs line in SM-liiga...

Barkov should definately be No 1. C

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
I'd rather have Armia not go, he's already been concussed twice this season

Subber

Oct 21, 2012
Really dissappointed if Lindell will be on final roster. Has showed absolutely nothing so far this season. Bad on own end and not been succesful in offense.

Statistics from men's games:
SM-liiga 19 games, 0+0 and +/- -9
Mestis 10 game, 2+2 and +/- -5

Is that 3rd round pick the reason why many are putting him on their fantasy rosters?

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Really dissappointed if Lindell will be on final roster. Has showed absolutely nothing so far this season. Bad on own end and not been succesful in offense.

Statistics from men's games:
SM-liiga 19 games, 0+0 and +/- -9
Mestis 10 game, 2+2 and +/- -5

Is that 3rd round pick the reason why many are putting him on their fantasy rosters?

Mikko Koivu was a minus player in SM-liiga following his draft year and his stats were 0+1 in 20 games. Add to that Lindell is a defenseman which always take longer to hit full potential. Still Koivu was quite effective in WJC, I don't have one doubt that Lindell can do well against juniors even when he hasn't been spectacular in pro leagues yet.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Mikko Koivu was a minus player in SM-liiga following his draft year and his stats were 0+1 in 20 games. Add to that Lindell is a defenseman which always take longer to hit full potential. Still Koivu was quite effective in WJC, I don't have one doubt that Lindell can do well against juniors even when he hasn't been spectacular in pro leagues yet.

Lol what a bust.

FlutteringSaucer

Apr 27, 2012
I'd rather have Armia not go, he's already been concussed twice this season
If he's ready to play SM-Liiga then he certainly is ready to play WJC.

I'm really torn between keeping Barkov and Armia together or on separate lines. Part of me thinks that he'd deserve a chance with the best playmaker since last year he didn't get the chance but the other part thinks that keeping the two arguably best forwards on separate lines would make us harder to defend against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad