Speculation: Roster Speculation III: No, Really, What's the BIGGEST Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Tr-tr-triple thread

iWvVSYeJQDhmV.gif

Burning questions:

Is Enroth emotionally and mentally dead?

Is Ville Leino a contributor in the future?

Is Makarov more like Hasek or Roy?

How many All-Stars will we sign this offseason?

MOD EDIT: Link to last thread http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1350421

Context for where we are, in case you forgot:

Good

- Finally firing Lindy. It was overdue, but at least they finally took the step. Hopefully just the beginning of changes.
- Hodgson looks to be trending up after some tough luck post-draft. It should come as no surprise that this is happening after his first real healthy off-season in years.
- Ennis adjusting after his slow start. Don't think he ends up being more than a secondary scoring winger, but at least he's seems to be progressing in the right direction.
- Ott has been much of what I was hoping for. I liked him before Ruff was fired, but I think he's been more noticeable since.
- Vanek looked like an elite player to start off the season. It was entertaining, even though you knew it wasn't sustainable. He's great when he moves his feet.
- Ehrhoff has been awesome. He's a creation machine and makes everyone on the ice better.
- Miller has had some stellar performances. Too bad we're going nowhere while he's in his prime.

Bad

- There are still so many players on this roster I want gone, Stafford being the main one. **** off, I haven't liked you since probably 2007.
- The defense is just crap. There's only one or two guys you can realistically hope will not be terrible on any given night. Four #7D is too many for one roster.
- Team defense sucks. Too many guys looking to fly the zone early, too many guys chasing. They wilt at the slightest sign of a forecheck.
- Team speed. The days of being an exciting, fast team seem like eons ago.
- Three seasons in a row now that they've been in the basement for prolonged periods of time. Hopefully this time they realize it's not a fluke.
- Not necessarily team related, but the mostly unwatchable play on ice is made worse by terrible broadcasts. Sorry RJ, time to hang them up. Ray, you're a disgrace. Time to bring the production up the 21st century standards.

Ugly

- Fire Regier already. Change the guard completely.
- For a team that is counting on it's youth, you'd like to see more progress from prospects. Too much stagnation or regression this season. Foligno, outside of his hot start in Rochester, has been a passenger on too many nights. Armia still only plays when he wants to. He's been good as of late, but it's only after prodding from his coach after the team lost their best player. Tropp gone for possibly the whole season. Girgensons rushed, playing out of position, and had his brain scrambled not once but twice. Grigorenko rushed after showing negative signs in Québec, despite his statline. McNabb, while not as bad as some say, hasn't really taken any steps forward. Pysyk has had some growing pains and needs some more time. Adam is a lost cause. Lower-end depth options are doing little to stand out or are regressing (Varone being the best example).
- Myers. Even though his play recently could be considered an improvement over his putrid start, he still looks like trash. If he's not going to be the #1D we're hoping he'll be (and already compensating as such), we're not going anywhere anytime soon. The fact that it's a consistent problem and he hardly shows signs of being that player is brutal.
- A side effect of the poor play of Myers is that the defense is pretty much nondescript and barring a massive trade, it's probably not changing much. They only have three contracted guys going forward, but the guys in FA are mostly crap and th pieces in the pipe probably aren't changing much. Shuffling deck chairs and such. I have a feeling we'll need a blue chipper soon.
- This team isn't even really unlucky, statistically speaking (outside of poor power play shooting). Their PDO is fairly average and Fenwick Close is almost dead last. Yep, they suck.

Depressing

- The talent this team does have looks like it will keep them out of the basement unfortunately, barring injury. I imagine this is what being a Bills fan is like. Dig a hole when you already have virtually no shot at winning anything, partially dig yourself out, end up in an endless cycle of mediocrity.
- They'll probably end up finishing outside of the range that top tier talent is available and take a gamble on a turd of a prospect.

All in all, this looks to be shaping up as mostly a lost season.
They need to make good at the draft and formulate a realistic plan going forward; enough indecision and mediocrity.
Please, change the culture so that this team is at least enjoyable even if they aren't winning.

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Going to try a somewhat realistic roster possibility for 2013-14, 13 fowards, not doing lines because to many variables(ok rough estimate). Not alot of toughness but I would rather have speed and skill. If Armia is ready or we get MacKinnon/Drouin/Barkov things would chance
Vanek
Hodgson
Pominville
Ennis
Bozak(UFA)
Grigorenko
Foligno
Raymond (UFA)
OTT
Kaleta
Gerbe
Tropp
Halpern

Vanek Hodgson Pominville (top offensive line)
Raymond - Bozak - Stafford (all situations line, play against top competition)
Foligno - Ennis - Ott (easy minutes, Ennis and Foligno should thrive in this situation)
Gerbe - Halpern - Tropp (not a huge fan of this line, not a fan of using Gerbe in a 4th line situation)
Grigorenko

Defence

Myers
Ehrhoff
Sekera
McNabb
Weber
Regehr

any way you look at it their are alot of very good options out there in UFA this year and we should be able to plug quite a few holes upfront. We should be looking to move Stafford for a top 4 defenceman like Klesla, or one of CBJ top 4 guys. With an agressive offseason their is no reason why this team cannot make a run for the division, we don't need a rebuild or to bring in a high end guy(wouldn't hurt), we need a re tool.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
What makes you have that faith in Bozak? I haven't watched much of the leafs this or last year.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
What makes you have that faith in Bozak? I haven't watched much of the leafs this or last year.

very responsible 200ft player
can get you around 40-50 points
very responsible defensively, match up against top competition
55% on FO
adds alittle bit of speed
can play big minutes
would be one of/if not our best 2 way forward

underrated on HFBOARDS because he plays in TORONTO and was thrown in every proposal awhile back.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
very responsible 200ft player
can get you around 40-50 points
very responsible defensively, match up against top competition
55% on FO
adds alittle bit of speed
can play big minutes
would be one of/if not our best 2 way forward

underrated on HFBOARDS because he plays in TORONTO and was thrown in every proposal awhile back.

I'll definitely keep a closer eye on him. Would the Leafs let him go?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I'll definitely keep a closer eye on him. Would the Leafs let him go?

My guess it that Bozak will want at least $3 per on a multi year deal, they already have Grabo making $5.5 and Kadri getting ready to become a RFA who is looking at a nice raise on likely a short term deal, they also have McClement who has been doing very well and is under contract another year. I would guess that the leafs offer Bozak a short term higher dollar deal around 2 year $6. I would imagine that he tests FA since he will likely be able to get longer term. I would say about 50/50 he stays in Toronto. The Leafs are likely going to want and get Kadri more ice aswell so that will factor into the decision.

I am not saying that Bozak is going to put this team over the top or anything, I just think he would be a nice addition.

Last edited:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I'd give Bozak 4/12 pretty easily. Worst case scenario, everyone develops ahead of schedule, and we move him at market value or above. His ilk of players are perpetually tradable.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
TSN reports that we're actively shopping Drew Stafford.

The most shocking thing about this is that there was a leak of some sort. Usually the way Regier runs things those kinds of details never emerge until after the trade's been done.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
I wouldn't be opposed to signing Bozak in the off-season if the price is right, he'd be a good 3rd line center and can win faceoffs, and he seems decent defensively from what I've seen. I'd rather sign him over Weiss.

Toronto fans can get on his case sometimes, but I think that is only because he was put in a situation where he was on the first line when he is really more of a good 3rd line player.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
The most shocking thing about this is that there was a leak of some sort. Usually the way Regier runs things those kinds of details never emerge until after the trade's been done.

Probably because Regier doesn't typically actively shop players.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Is their a link that Stafford is being shopped? If he is Buffalo should not be playing him on the 4th line..

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Is their a link that Stafford is being shopped? If he is Buffalo should not be playing him on the 4th line..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417496

On The Market?

During the Countdown to TradeCentre show on TSN on Tuesday night, the panel discussed a list of five players that could be on the move. The list was made up of Colorado Avalanche forward Paul Stastny, New York Islanders defencemen Mark Streit, and forwards Brendan Morrow of the Dallas Stars, Drew Stafford of the Buffalo Sabres as well as Tyler Kennedy of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007

Well, Rolston is trying to keep his job as the Sabres HC and that means he wants to win games, and since Stafford is garbage that results on him playing 10 minutes per night on the 4th line. Darcy would have to tell him to play Staff more in a top 6 role and I don't know if GM's usually intervene like that or not.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Would Pitt have any interest in Stafford? Could see them being tempted to see how Staff could do alongside Crosby instead of Dupuis.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

One should wonder whether this was based on news from a source, or just an attempt to prop ratings for their trade deadline show. TSN has hyped the deadline--and July 1, too-- for a couple years in a row only for the days to be underwhelming. They've pimped possible and even probable trades of guys like Suter, Nash, and B. Richards for their shows, and then nada. I'm skeptical given Regier's clandestine MO.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Stafford also played on a line with Sid in high school I believe..I know that doesn't really mean anything, but just throwing that out there.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
One should wonder whether this was based on news from a source, or just an attempt to prop ratings for their trade deadline show. TSN has hyped the deadline--and July 1, too-- for a couple years in a row only for the days to be underwhelming. They've pimped possible and even probable trades of guys like Suter, Nash, and B. Richards for their shows, and then nada. I'm skeptical given Regier's clandestine MO.

From my point of view, they were just speculating who were the most likely candidates to be traded - which is something everyone on this board does. They didn't back it up with anything, it's pretty easy to guess that Stafford would be on the block, same with Stastny.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

I agree wholeheartedly. We've never, ever seen a "Regier Leak" come through as far as I can remember.

Seems like they took players who are moderately overpriced and underproducing and advised that they're on the block.

I don't really believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad