Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
When is he looking to cash out? If we're talking three years then just making the playoffs would be good enough. If we're talking ten it's probably more prudent that the Islanders do well to help support everything else.
Why should he be looking to cash out at all?

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
For those interested, here's a list of the youngest UFAs hitting the market:

View attachment 863116

Here are the top point producers hitting the market:

View attachment 863117
In my opinion, Jake Debrusk should absolutely be the prime number one target of the offseason for the Isles. I feel he would be perfect fit on the top line with Horvat and Barzy. He is only 27, would be a 25-30 goal 55-60 point player with those guys, brings a physical presence and probably could get him for 6 million rather than 8-9 million of other potential top line targets. I would be willing to give him 7 years if necessary.

If we cannot get him, my next choice would be Marchessault, but it would have to be shorter term, 3-4 years.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It's probably easier to acquire wings than centers but given the fact that we know Horvat and Barzal can play together it frees the team up to grab whichever becomes available.

And yet we haven't had a true #1 winger since Ziggy Palffy.

View attachment 863064
yeah

but what about no Horvat and we become Buffalo?

These f***ing "rebuilders." It's all the same with them.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Why should he be looking to cash out at all?

I'm not saying he should but sometimes these investments are quick flips. The valuation of the team has gone up from $485M when they purchased the team to $1.55B earlier this season. While neither Malkin or Ledecky are hurting for cash they aren't billionaires either so I wouldn't be shocked if they sold it for a nice profit in the not so distant future. I'd be curious to know what they view as the peak valuation for the franchise (it'll continue to go up but by how much is the question).

Guys like Dolan have so much money the sports teams are closer to being a hobby than a business venture.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I just don’t see JGP as having positive trade value. I suppose he might fetch one of those 2 assets but I think that’s the ceiling. Other than being good at the dot, his play has gradually diminished over the last 2 years and he ain’t getting any younger. He’s also far from a bargain at $5M x 2 more years. Dare I say, playing for the Isles in what’s looked at as a “system” doesn’t enhance his trade value.

Hard to judge just how desirable he as a product could be to some team somewhere, even if I tend to agree with you very much here.

The question will be whether our current GM or a new one will actually go out there and find the type of taker who would provide some sort of intrinsic value in return. And that will be the quetion for several of our players.

We just have no idea if the current management even attepts to do such things.

I’m with you on that though clearly we’ll need to pick up another center in the off-season if we’re counting on MacLean to be a regular and losing two of the veteran centers.

I see plenty of options. If we move two of the 5 "centers" on this team, it won't be a problem to find an adequate piece on th eUFA market.

Heck, if Lou remains GM, I'm still seeing him bring in Henrique as is, whether as a C or LW.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm not saying he should but sometimes these investments are quick flips. The valuation of the team has gone up from $485M when they purchased the team to $1.55B earlier this season. While neither Malkin or Ledecky are hurting for cash they aren't billionaires either so I wouldn't be shocked if they sold it for a nice profit in the not so distant future. I'd be curious to know what they view as the peak valuation for the franchise (it'll continue to go up but by how much is the question).

Guys like Dolan have so much money the sports teams are closer to being a hobby than a business venture.
I have no doubt that the NHL is about to expand shortly. There will be new broadcast platforms. Revenues from those fees will make owners even wealthier than anyone could have thought for a sport like pro hockey. For Malkin, Ledecky who are in their 60s, and the rest of NY Arena Partners with the Belmont renovation, you don’t cash out on one component of your investment. There’s too much future money involved.

Again, I would be shocked if the owners were in this for the quick flip.

Heck, if Lou remains GM, I'm still seeing him bring in Henrique as is, whether as a C or LW.
Just what this team doesn’t need.

Reactions: Ishkabible

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I have no doubt that the NHL is about to expand shortly. There will be new broadcast platforms. Revenues from those fees will make owners even wealthier than anyone could have thought for a sport like pro hockey. For Malkin, Ledecky who are in their 60s, and the rest of NY Arena Partners with the Belmont renovation, you don’t cash out on one component of your investment. There’s too much future money involved.

Again, I would be shocked if the owners were in this for the quick flip.

Expansion was something I wasn't even considering and that's definitely going to happen so you're probably right.

I'd like them to be the owners long term because I think they'll care more about keeping the product on the ice at a high level.

Reactions: MJF

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I posted this on the main trade board isles rebuild thread, but what about a good old fashioned hockey trade:

To NYI

Nik Ehlers

To WPG

Native Son Ryan Pulock

Ehlers' historical playoff stats scare me but a Barzal-Horvat-Ehlers line excites my loins.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Given the state of the past few years, ALL options should be considered when assessing the team and options. If there is a step back for a year or two without playoffs but clear direction of the team future and you field an exciting team with upside, I think most fans will buy in. That means every player we have is a trade-able commodity - if Gretzky can be traded, anyone could.

We should not consider any of our players - favorites included - as untouchable. I think this team is in desperate need of a refresh and I wouldn’t be afraid to consider any potential partner in a similar position (Winnipeg comes to mind…).

Top of list is the usual suspects at forward, Lee, Nelson, Palmieri, Pageau as well as on D - one of Peleck, Pulok. These players have all been terrific contributors but it has become…stale. Would I consider taking it a step further with a Barzal - Dobson - Sorokin type blockbuster (including some of the deadwood) for a refresh with equal or greater upside? Damn right I would.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I posted this on the main trade board isles rebuild thread, but what about a good old fashioned hockey trade:

To NYI

Nik Ehlers

To WPG

Native Son Ryan Pulock

Ehlers' historical playoff stats scare me but a Barzal-Horvat-Ehlers line excites my loins.
PUKE

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island

To NYI

Nik Ehlers

To WPG

Native Son Ryan Pulock

Just saw this..and have been thinking about Winnipeg as a very good potential trading partner for us…even for something bigger.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Even if Malkin couldn't care less about hockey and is only in it for the money, wouldn't he want to retain some control over the arena because it kind of impacts the value of his shopping village? And they're doing a major renovation/improvement of the track, grandstand, etc.. The hotel will be coming in. I'm not really seeing anything but a steady increase in value and in his return on investment. There will be 3 main prongs at Belmont (track, arena, shopping village), so why not hold onto 2 of them for a while?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
That's the general consensus, I'm not sure I agree with that though. He's been around the game a long time and I'd be surprised if he didn't see the same things we're seeing. While there are varying opinions about what things should be called or when they should've started, most of us on here are seeing similar things, how could Lamoriello not see the same? While he doesn't have a great track record of moving and shaking things up he's also made some pretty shrewd moves before, especially when it comes to dumping of contracts he doesn't want anymore. If he just tinkers and brings the same team back he'll have to go.

If a new GM was brought in from outside the organization I'd assume there would be some pretty decent changes right off the bat. GMs want their guys and people who fit the style of play they think will be successful.
I don't disagree that Lou sees things that we see, but I question how he will approach fixing them. He seems to be really, really, really methodical. Even when he speaks, he says things that are so patently obvious that most people would assume everyone takes that for granted and wouldn't even bother saying them. But Lou says them. And he sees value in chemistry and continuity perhaps to a fault. There's also the thing about him over-valuing some old school hockey traits at the expense of pure skill. The team doesn't have bad players - it mostly just has too many of the same kind and lacks dynamic talent. Hence, the margin for error is razor thin and I think that may contribute to the mental fragility of the team. It's one thing to make yourself believe you can hold a lead or come back when trailing, but it's another thing to have the confidence/cockiness that comes with knowing you have the talent to overcome stuff.

So, while I don't doubt that he'll do some things, I would be very surprised if he makes the series of moves, some of them probably creative and a bit bold, necessary. I mean, he's apparently been waiting for 4+ years for the right deal to come along to get a high end PMD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad