Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Ok, I'll play :D I'll see your line-up that protects Roslovic, and raise you:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Copp-Roslovic
Dano-Lowry-Armia

Perreault and Copp provide some veteran and semi-veteran support for him.

A couple thoughts going through my head:

1. For some reason, I get the feeling that Roslovic is going to kick the door down this year - he's quick/fast, has very good vision, and looks very mature in his time with the Moose. I would not be surprised to see him tested out at C, and stick there to stay with the Jets this year. This gives us a ton of flexibility to create line-ups like the one I posted, or to swap around the bottom six to find something that works.
  2. Matthias is unlikely to not be in the line-up to start the season - he's still a useful bottom six player.

I agree. I can't argue my case very well, but I just feel from last year's performance on the Moose, he could very well make the team eventually.

We don't need a slow/grinding 4th line. It could/should contain as much talent as the third.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I agree with this. If Roslo kicks down the door and makes it out of camp, I'd like to see:

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Connor Little Wheeler
Perreault Roslovic Copp
Matthias Lowry Armia

Morrisey Trouba
Kulikov Byfuglien
Enstrom Myers

Mason
Hellebuyck

I'd also be OK with swapping Armia and Copp around, depending on how the chemistry forms.

I agree with this fully, and if I was a betting man, I lay a big finsky down that this will be the starting lineup, with Petan taking Ros's spot on the third to start with, but possibly Ros makes the choice for them out of the gate.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree with this fully, and if I was a betting man, I lay a big finsky down that this will be the starting lineup, with Petan taking Ros's spot on the third to start with, but possibly Ros makes the choice for them out of the gate.

I also feel like spots aren't gifted this year in the bottom six. So guys like Petan, Dano, Copp, Matthias will have to play well during the pre season to earn a spot in the lineup for game one. I like that type of competition.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I also like the thought of a Perreault/Roslovic/Connor as our skilled third, maybe at the half way point if Connor and Roslovic show they can handle it.

If Roslovic shows to be ready, it does allow us to ice a very skilled lineup, 1 through 4, and gives both Connor and Roslovic familiarity from playing together last season.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Penguins were actually relying on young guys to "round out the roster" a lot. Rust, Sheary, Wilson, Kuhnhackl were four "young unproven" players.

Interestingly every "young guy' you mentioned on Pittsburg is older than Scheifele and significantly older than Dano, Copp, Petan and Roslovic the players that are looking like they will fill out much of our bottom 6. All have spent years developing at lower levels including time in Wilks-Barrie. Only Guentzel would be in the true young player age range on the Pens. We already have a very young lineup with very young players playing important roles. I'd love to see Chevy add a veteran 3rd line center and push Lowry down. I wouldn't even entertain Roslovic on the Jets roster to start the season. And most likely I'd want to take advantage of Petan's last year on his ELC and have him on the Moose as well.

My ideal lineup:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
MP-Vet Center-Armia
Lowry at center and Copp/Matthias/Dano making up the wings depending on effectiveness. Tanev as the regular PB guy.

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Toby-Myers
Chiarot

Mason
Helly

Full out competition on the Moose with Petan and Roslovic being 1st in line for injury replacement at forward. And Poolman/Niku/Nogier the injury replacement on defense. Let guys develop and compete for opportunity with everyone waiver exempt.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Interestingly every "young guy' you mentioned on Pittsburg is older than Scheifele and significantly older than Dano, Copp, Petan and Roslovic the players that are looking like they will fill out much of our bottom 6. All have spent years developing at lower levels including time in Wilks-Barrie. Only Guentzel would be in the true young player age range on the Pens. We already have a very young lineup with very young players playing important roles. I'd love to see Chevy add a veteran 3rd line center and push Lowry down. I wouldn't even entertain Roslovic on the Jets roster to start the season. And most likely I'd want to take advantage of Petan's last year on his ELC and have him on the Moose as well.

My ideal lineup:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
MP-Vet Center-Armia
Lowry at center and Copp/Matthias/Dano making up the wings depending on effectiveness. Tanev as the regular PB guy.

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Toby-Myers
Chiarot

Mason
Helly

Full out competition on the Moose with Petan and Roslovic being 1st in line for injury replacement at forward. And Poolman/Niku/Nogier the injury replacement on defense. Let guys develop and compete for opportunity with everyone waiver exempt.

A solid vet center with some offensive abilities that can PK would be phenomenal. Where do we find this though haha

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A solid vet center with some offensive abilities that can PK would be phenomenal. Where do we find this though haha

Yeah that's a bit of a problem :laugh:. More of a wish. I just don't think with $4-5 M still in the kitty we have to run so young and inexperienced in our bottom 6. Roslovic still has lots to go to be a good middle 6 center and IMO Petan has floundered with a half *** role in the NHL when he could be a top 6 center in A with #1 PP time. Dano and Copp are past ELC stage so we need to keep them up, making just enough room for a nice vet addition.

I can just see the deployment complaints piling up as Roslovic or Petan or Armia or Dano etc. doesn't get the ice time or opportunity to play with top players their biggest fans want. Our top 6 is set with Scheifele-Laine-Ehlers-Little-Wheeler and either MP or Connor. Those guys will be playing 18-20 mins a night (sometimes more) with all the PP time. They all want the ice-time, and 5/7 are playing for contracts over the next 2 seasons. And the fans want to see them and Mo will be coaching for his career. Maurice will need to keep this group happy and hungry. The scraps will be divided among the rest. They will have lesser roles with limited opportunities. IMO Roslovic and Petan are much better served being top dogs on the Moose. Everyone past the ELC stage your lot has been set so dig deep and embrace your role. I just think a good vet center is the perfect add to normalize that role on the team.

Just my thoughts, but I fear inexperience just may be our undoing during this supposedly turn the corner year.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Yeah, that's very possible - I'd be OK with swapping those 2nd and 3rd pairings around, depending on how Kulikov is working out. :nod:

Yeah we'd have to see what he does too
Gotta let the chemistry figure it out

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah that's a bit of a problem :laugh:. More of a wish. I just don't think with $4-5 M still in the kitty we have to run so young and inexperienced in our bottom 6. Roslovic still has lots to go to be a good middle 6 center and IMO Petan has floundered with a half *** role in the NHL when he could be a top 6 center in A with #1 PP time. Dano and Copp are past ELC stage so we need to keep them up, making just enough room for a nice vet addition.

I can just see the deployment complaints piling up as Roslovic or Petan or Armia or Dano etc. doesn't get the ice time or opportunity to play with top players their biggest fans want. Our top 6 is set with Scheifele-Laine-Ehlers-Little-Wheeler and either MP or Connor. Those guys will be playing 18-20 mins a night (sometimes more) with all the PP time. They all want the ice-time, and 5/7 are playing for contracts over the next 2 seasons. And the fans want to see them and Mo will be coaching for his career. Maurice will need to keep this group happy and hungry. The scraps will be divided among the rest. They will have lesser roles with limited opportunities. IMO Roslovic and Petan are much better served being top dogs on the Moose. Everyone past the ELC stage your lot has been set so dig deep and embrace your role. I just think a good vet center is the perfect add to normalize that role on the team.

Just my thoughts, but I fear inexperience just may be our undoing during this supposedly turn the corner year.

Sorry I don't buy the experience angle. What experience did the Leafs have last season? You talk about age but that doesn't equal experience. The Pens players where all incredibly low on it. I don't care about age. The press are planning on running a bunch of kids in their bottom 6 this season with less than 100 games played in league.

I care about impact. Lowry wins faceoffs and has 2nd line WAR metrics yet continually gets dumped on by people here just because he doesn't score enough at ES. He's the vet 3 C that everyone on here on wants but no one appreciates. Copp has plus 4C metrics. We are set at C. Dano has over 100 games of NHL experience and performs well (Not his fault he's misused by the coach) Mathias is an experienced depth scorer. Armia is good in his role. It won't be talent and experience that will sink our bottom 6, it will be deployment.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sorry I don't buy the experience angle. What experience did the Leafs have last season? You talk about age but that doesn't equal experience. The Pens players where all incredibly low on it. I don't care about age. The press are planning on running a bunch of kids in their bottom 6 this season with less than 100 games played in league.

I care about impact. Lowry wins faceoffs and has 2nd line WAR metrics yet continually gets dumped on by people here just because he doesn't score enough at ES. He's the vet 3 C that everyone on here on wants but no one appreciates. Copp has plus 4C metrics. We are set at C. Dano has over 100 games of NHL experience and performs well (Not his fault he's misused by the coach) Mathias is an experienced depth scorer. Armia is good in his role. It won't be talent and experience that will sink our bottom 6, it will be deployment.

But to improve and fast forward a contending window what did the Leafs do, they started adding experience. The Oilers are also adding experience. They are trying to take advantage of having their best players playing for peanuts on ELC's and using the available cap space to improve short term while they can. That is what I'm suggesting over adding more raw rookies and ELC players still struggling to find a role. I'm also wanting to keep everyone past ELC stage. Everyone you mentioned (Lowry, Copp, Matthias, Dano, Copp). I just think we are better served bringing in a good vet to anchor that group rather than hoping Petan and/or Roslovic is ready. Let them prove they are ready by being PPG guys in the A. Contending teams with 5 M in cap space try to use it to make their team better.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But to improve and fast forward a contending window what did the Leafs do, they started adding experience. The Oilers are also adding experience. They are trying to take advantage of having their best players playing for peanuts on ELC's and using the available cap space to improve short term while they can. That is what I'm suggesting over adding more raw rookies and ELC players still struggling to find a role. I'm also wanting to keep everyone past ELC stage. Everyone you mentioned (Lowry, Copp, Matthias, Dano, Copp). I just think we are better served bringing in a good vet to anchor that group rather than hoping Petan and/or Roslovic is ready. Let them prove they are ready by being PPG guys in the A. Contending teams with 5 M in cap space try to use it to make their team better.

Well that is what the deadline is for imo. If we need experience heading into the playoffs we do what Chevy did in our playoff year and pick up a couple of vet forwards. Having cap space then may increase our options. Getting in likely increases our chance at being more attractive next season for FA's. For example I doubt Marleu or Hainsy sign in TO this summer without them doing what they dis last season.

Toronto added their experience at the deadline last year in Boyle. They signed three vets this summer whereas we inked two. Edmonton inked one but lost one in Desharns and also lost experienc in the Eberle for Strome swap. Not all that different imo. We also heard Chevy missed on a target in FA (So he obviously was hunting for a depth forward as well). A good player might get waived out of camp, heck we may still ink a forward to a pto or something. We have enough horses to keep Roslovic and Petan in the minors to develop if need be and still ice a good bottom 6.

I'm more concerned with our coaches ability to properly configure our pieces. One positive about not getting another ok depth vet is that it may force Maurice to really give some of these kids more of a shot than he would have if he had his Thor safety net. If it's not working optimally I believe a depth forward can be easily acquired mid season.

Edit:

Also while we may not have a tonne of bottom 6 vet experience, the Jets destroy TO in terms of vet defensive experience as they do some of the teams we are competing with in the division.

Dallas is low on it
Chicago has none any longer
St. Louis is solid but will be hurt by the loss of Shattenkirk
The Wild lost a good depth vet in Scandella.

So I think Chevy should get some credit for the experience he has stockpiled on the backend.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Distribute the wealth...

Copp-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Ehlers
Armia-Roslovic-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Dano

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well that is what the deadline is for imo. If we need experience heading into the playoffs we do what Chevy did in our playoff year and pick up a couple of vet forwards. Having cap space then may increase our options. Getting in likely increases our chance at being more attractive next season for FA's. For example I doubt Marleu or Hainsy sign in TO this summer without them doing what they dis last season.

Toronto added their experience at the deadline last year in Boyle. They signed three vets this summer whereas we inked two. Edmonton inked one but lost one in Desharns and also lost experienc in the Eberle for Strome swap. Not all that different imo. We also heard Chevy missed on a target in FA (So he obviously was hunting for a depth forward as well). A good player might get waived out of camp, heck we may still ink a forward to a pto or something. We have enough horses to keep Roslovic and Petan in the minors to develop if need be and still ice a good bottom 6.

I'm more concerned with our coaches ability to properly configure our pieces. One positive about not getting another ok depth vet is that it may force Maurice to really give some of these kids more of a shot than he would have if he had his Thor safety net. If it's not working optimally I believe a depth forward can be easily acquired mid season.

Edit:

Also while we may not have a tonne of bottom 6 vet experience, the Jets destroy TO in terms of vet defensive experience as they do some of the teams we are competing with in the division.

Dallas is low on it
Chicago has none any longer
St. Louis is solid but will be hurt by the loss of Shattenkirk
The Wild lost a good depth vet in Scandella.

So I think Chevy should get some credit for the experience he has stockpiled on the backend.

Good point about the TD and that is likely where we pick up some veteran depth for a playoff run. And I know you and I usually see things pretty closely so I'll throw out my thoughts on this one last time and then will let it go.

To take a step back I've been one of the biggest advocates of a "youth movement". Push as much talented kids into the lineup as you can and let them play. While I always remained hopeful of the playoffs, I didn't really believe we could contend until we could do it on the back of our "young core". IMO we have now arrived at that point. Scheifele, Ehlers, Laine, Trouba and Morrissey are as good a group of young players as you will find in the league. And are remaining core still remain effective players for the most part.

But as we all know a few holes remained. IMO Chevy has fixed the 2 biggest ones. Getting us a real starter in net and getting an upgrade on LHD. I'm very comfortable with a Mason-Helly tandem in net and a our defense (baring health of course). I really like we have 3 promising prospects on the Moose in Poolman, Niku and Nogier that we can bring up as needed as injury replacements. Guys that can play and develop on the Moose. They will get their opportunities as needed. IMO this is a much better option than keeping around veteran depth pylons as depth.

At forward our top 6 can rival any team in the league and I believe we will score goals in the bunches and I see another 80+ point season from Scheifele and 40+ goals from Laine. Where I've had a little trouble is seeing projected lineups with Roslovic and to a lesser extent Petan in key roles. IMO I think we are past the point of needing to insert young players into the lineup at the earliest point possible. Again IMO we have been been ******* up Petan with half *** roles and limited time and I'm a little worried Roslovic might find himself in a similar position as we will be in the fight of our lives for playoff positioning. Maurice will be riding his top players as his job will hinge on winning games. Both Petan and Roslovic IMO are better off playing top 6 on the Moose getting big minutes in all situations. These are guys on ELC's that we don't risk losing letting them develop playing key roles at a lower level. They can be brought up as injury replacements as needed. But in appropriate roles. Similar to our defenseman on ELC's. This is a desirable position.

My argument has been is we can take the last step with our lineup and use our remaining cap space to get a good vet to anchor the bottom 6. Ideally a center but that is a tough move this late in the off season. This would allow us to run 4 very good lines with guys that are good fits in their roles.

It was the Leafs and Oilers that really got me thinking this way. Why not go all in now? Why not take advantage of your best players being under paid on ELC's and use the available cap space to make the best possible team while you can. We don't need to hope on a player being ready with the right opportunity if all goes well. In a couple years we will be maxed out on salary and we will be looking for ways to shed salary. We will again have to push kids into the lineup this time to get under the cap.

I'd even be willing to mortgage a bit of our future on a trade for a center if the fit was perfect.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good point about the TD and that is likely where we pick up some veteran depth for a playoff run. And I know you and I usually see things pretty closely so I'll throw out my thoughts on this one last time and then will let it go.

To take a step back I've been one of the biggest advocates of a "youth movement". Push as much talented kids into the lineup as you can and let them play. While I always remained hopeful of the playoffs, I didn't really believe we could contend until we could do it on the back of our "young core". IMO we have now arrived at that point. Scheifele, Ehlers, Laine, Trouba and Morrissey are as good a group of young players as you will find in the league. And are remaining core still remain effective players for the most part.

But as we all know a few holes remained. IMO Chevy has fixed the 2 biggest ones. Getting us a real starter in net and getting an upgrade on LHD. I'm very comfortable with a Mason-Helly tandem in net and a our defense (baring health of course). I really like we have 3 promising prospects on the Moose in Poolman, Niku and Nogier that we can bring up as needed as injury replacements. Guys that can play and develop on the Moose. They will get their opportunities as needed. IMO this is a much better option than keeping around veteran depth pylons as depth.

At forward our top 6 can rival any team in the league and I believe we will score goals in the bunches and I see another 80+ point season from Scheifele and 40+ goals from Laine. Where I've had a little trouble is seeing projected lineups with Roslovic and to a lesser extent Petan in key roles. IMO I think we are past the point of needing to insert young players into the lineup at the earliest point possible. Again IMO we have been been ******* up Petan with half *** roles and limited time and I'm a little worried Roslovic might find himself in a similar position as we will be in the fight of our lives for playoff positioning. Maurice will be riding his top players as his job will hinge on winning games. Both Petan and Roslovic IMO are better off playing top 6 on the Moose getting big minutes in all situations. These are guys on ELC's that we don't risk losing letting them develop playing key roles at a lower level. They can be brought up as injury replacements as needed. But in appropriate roles. Similar to our defenseman on ELC's. This is a desirable position.

My argument has been is we can take the last step with our lineup and use our remaining cap space to get a good vet to anchor the bottom 6. Ideally a center but that is a tough move this late in the off season. This would allow us to run 4 very good lines with guys that are good fits in their roles.

It was the Leafs and Oilers that really got me thinking this way. Why not go all in now? Why not take advantage of your best players being under paid on ELC's and use the available cap space to make the best possible team while you can. We don't need to hope on a player being ready with the right opportunity if all goes well. In a couple years we will be maxed out on salary and we will be looking for ways to shed salary. We will again have to push kids into the lineup this time to get under the cap.

I'd even be willing to mortgage a bit of our future on a trade for a center if the fit was perfect.

Once again I don't disagree with the development aspect of keeping some of the kids down. The org has even stated they are trying to move to a point where the prospects need to overrippen on the Moose So im not concerned with them rushing Roslovic. He will start on the Moose.

I guess I have more faith in Lowry than some. Whatever deficiencies he has in scoring he more than makes up for in other areas. I feel he can be part of a strong outscoring third line if he is played with the correct players. Him and Connor looked very good the one game they played together. I would welcome another depth piece but I don't believe it to be necessary. I have a hard time thinking that Chevy isn't going for it this summer, he's addressed the two biggest issues and seems pissed about other transactions that fell through. If the vet forward or forwards he targeted fell through the cracks it's not going to make or break us imo.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

:handclap: Very good post and agree with this totally. Having Petan and Roslovic on the moose playing 20+ mins a night in all situations will prepare them for first call up, if a forwards is injured and if it is one in the top 6 that goes down they could be the replacement and get to play with the Jets top players. I would call this a win/win.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Jordan Staal at 1m retained by the Canes and we are contenders this year.
Scheif Little Staal Lowry is as strong a center group as any.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Jordan Staal at 1m retained by the Canes and we are contenders this year.
Scheif Little Staal Lowry is as strong a center group as any.

This is along the lines I was thinking but Stall is still signed for 6 more years. Of course at $1 M reduced he is worth $5 M AAV. Likely means moving away from Little after this season which I don't want to happen. My dream would be Duchene at $6 M AAV for 2 years which I think we could swing with a little creativity. But Sakic's reported asking price is just too high IMO.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Staal at 5m for picks, prospects and Myers? and Dano would solidify our C for years...he is a big strong excellent two-way center that is really good on the power play which is exactly what we need.
Dano, Myers, Green and a 1st for Staal at 1m retained and we win at least the 1st round of the playoffs.

Laine Scheif Wheeler
Connor Little Ehlers
MP Staal Armia (although a Lowry Staal Armia line could be dominant)
Copp Lowry Matthias

Morrissey Trouba
Kuli Buff
Enstrom Poolman

edit ... I would keep Little...no need to trade Little unless hes contract demands are unreasonable but I doubt that they are. I think term is what is holding up his extension.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Is that number taking potential bonuses into account?
What about the cost to acquire said player.
Unless you think there is some unsigned player out there that fits the bill?

And is this an expiring contract because as soon as next summer we have to re-sign most of our team and this players contract could be in the way of that.

Making said move now may handcuff us from making a move later?

All things to consider...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Is that number taking potential bonuses into account?
What about the cost to acquire said player.
Unless you think there is some unsigned player out there that fits the bill?

And is this an expiring contract because as soon as next summer we have to re-sign most of our team and this players contract could be in the way of that.

Making said move now may handcuff us from making a move later?

All things to consider...

Yes that is taking potential performances into account. Currently Capfriendly has the Jets listed at $8.04 M of cap space with $4.0 M of potential performance bonuses leaving a conservative $4.04 in cap space. But the 23 man roster includes 3 goalies so likely Hutch's $1.15 m comes off leaving over $5 m of cap space. Then it becomes a matter of who is on the roster out Sgarbossa, Tanev, Connor and Petan to round out the final cap hit but this guys are all making pretty close to each other though Connor brings with him $850,000 in potential performance bonuses. I rounded to $5 M but the real number is likely somewhere between $4-5 M assuming all performance bonuses are met which seems pretty unlikely.

I'm very aware of the future cap crunch that awaits us but we will be able to shed some salary along the way. Ideally we go short term with a nice add but options are shrinking for UFA's. I was a little jealous of the Oilers scooping up Jussi Jokinen at $1.1 for 1 year. He is only one season from getting 60 points and still has enough gas in the tank to be a really nice add to a 3rd line.

Point taken about leaving some money in the kitty for later buying. But you need to be in playoff position for that to matter and there are no guarantees of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad