Roster & Fantasy GM Thread VIIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Nah he's more like a bottom pairing guy on a good team. Since we're a bad team I guess he can fit in our top 4, but that doesn't mean he's any good.

I have to say that is a really bad opinion, who thinks that of this player other then you? This doesn't put your assessment level of players in a very good light.

I suggest perhaps this is a reaction based on your irrational hate of everything Benning?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I have to say that is a really bad opinion, who thinks that of this player other then you? This doesn't put your assessment level of players in a very good light.

I suggest perhaps this is a reaction based on your irrational hate of everything Benning?
That's what the stats say...

I think he's a decent 4.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

It's not an irrational hate of everything Benning does. It's based on the statistical analysis of Gudbranson's performance. Unless you think the numbers are lying I'm not sure what your complaint is.

My opinion is bad because it's based on fact. Are you suggesting I base my opinion on rainbows and butterflies instead?

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
It's not an irrational hate of everything Benning does. It's based on the statistical analysis of Gudbranson's performance. Unless you think the numbers are lying I'm not sure what your complaint is.

My opinion is bad because it's based on fact. Are you suggesting I base my opinion on rainbows and butterflies instead?

I think a lot of your facts are made up or skewed to show what you want, sorry. Matter of fact you know there is a report on this player and how his stats aren't really indicative of his play....but ignored of course.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I would be ecstatic if we got both, even if it upsets some of you.

That's fine. I would prefer the team not carry two bad contracts though.

If we can get Lucic for $4.5M for 3 years fine. Or Eriksson for $5M for 2 years I can stomach it. Longer term and/or larger cap hit (or both based on the reality that they want more and other teams will offer more) is unacceptable for the state of this franchise.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think a lot of your facts are made up or skewed to show what you want, sorry. Matter of fact you know there is a report on this player and how his stats aren't really indicative of his play....but ignored of course.

Didn't realize you could make up his shot suppression, useful puck possession, and zone exist stats. I guess either you think I'm running those stat websites and in some vindictive move I'm coming up with those stats out of thin air, or I'm involved in some conspiracy with the operators of those sites? Or just in denial.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I would be ecstatic if we got both, even if it upsets some of you.

My first preference is somehow swinging for a Harts & Pulju combo, but I would be pleasantly surprised if we got both. When was the last time we signed two top 6 forwards? Sundin & Demitra?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You didn't read his post stating he was a depth dman at best...

I consider bottom pairing guys as depth. I don't know of a team that builds their defense around a bottom pairing defenseman. Benning seems to do that though, based on the Sbisa contract.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Didn't realize you could make up his shot suppression, useful puck possession, and zone exist stats. I guess either you think I'm running those stat websites and in some vindictive move I'm coming up with those stats out of thin air, or I'm involved in some conspiracy with the operators of those sites? Or just in denial.

Note you ignored that report I was talking about...again.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
It appears many of their concerns are about intangibles to me :dunno: - at least the ones that I just quoted. You really don't think posters were making their minds up about Sutter and Gudbranson due to their advanced stats? Hmmm...guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one. No one has even mentioned Lucic's outstanding advanced metrics at all...

Of the eight quoted, three (4, 6, 7) don't mention anything resembling intangibles, two (1, 2) are clearly not basing their opposition on intangibles, and the others are not "advanced stats" posters.

I am sure posters make up their mind about Gudbranson and Sutter based on advanced stats (I certainly do), but not everyone does.

I can't speak for others, but I am guessing most people don't mention Lucic's advanced stats because there is broad agreement he is a very good player right now - in particular an excellent even strength player that isn't much of an asset on the PP and has discipline issues. Stats and the eye test line up in that regard. The problems with Lucic is strategic - the team is not in the right place to be sacrificing future years for an improvement now, which there is a considerable risk of doing on a long term deal with a 28 year old forward.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The facts are not made up. The numbers are there to see. They show gudbranson is a 3rd liner analytically...

Y2k values these stats, so what.
You don't, also so what...

Eye test doesnt show a top pair dman so either you think his tops playoff minutes or his poor analytics numbers are more important.

Also a large portion of the reports on gudbranson are about non hockey skills. Like Dorsett.
And we know how that's working out so far...

Time will tell.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
That's fine. I would prefer the team not carry two bad contracts though.

If we can get Lucic for $4.5M for 3 years fine. Or Eriksson for $5M for 2 years I can stomach it. Longer term and/or larger cap hit (or both based on the reality that they want more and other teams will offer more) is unacceptable for the state of this franchise.

I think you need to come to terms with this. There is what you want have happen, and what is very likely to happen. They are going to do what they want to do.

I don't mind the targets. It could be a lot worse. They could sign even worse forwards for larger salary. It's all relative. That said, this is Benning's "all in" off-season -- it will have ramifications for Benning in the near future.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think you need to come to terms with this. There is what you want have happen, and what is very likely to happen. They are going to do what they want to do.

I don't mind the targets. It could be a lot worse. They could sign even worse forwards for larger salary. It's all relative. That said, this is Benning's "all in" off-season -- it will have ramifications for Benning in the near future.

I've come to terms with the fact they're going to do something stupid. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it. Doesn't mean I can't hope it falls a part and Benning is left holding his **** in his hand on July 1st with everyone signed elsewhere. Whatever will contribute to his firing with the least amount of long-term anchors is what I want to happen.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I'd really like Ericksson but there is a reason the Bruins aren't offering more than 4 years. He's already 31, that contract could be a crippler if it's 5 or longer. In 5 years we may actually be half decent too so it could really bite us in the ass.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If we somehow land Ericksson + Lucic, find some sort of offense on the blue line, AND draft Dubois I'll be impressed. I find everything except PLD dropping to 5OA very unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad