New York Islanders: Roster Discussion: Filppula out 4 weeks; Boychuk, Eberle day to day

Status
Not open for further replies.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Lehner got worse as camp went on.

They both are mediocre. This will be the classic split tandem until hopefully someone takes the reigns. Did anyone expect different for heading into game 1? Like training camp would have one of these dudes transfer into a superstar and they announce he'd start 80% of the games before the season starts?

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I still think Lou should of spent the first rounder for a goalie. Doesn't some team have a AHL goalie that has potential. I'm.not seeing the potential in these two goalies. Even Tommy salo had potential

Last edited:

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
I am not ready to condemn the team or the decisions made by LL and BT. They have 4 championships between them in management of hockey teams. That is 4 more that have been associated with the NY Islanders then anyone since 1992. So I think they get some time and space to make this team in their image. They are the professionals and I have to believe they know a helluva lot more about players then I do. Yeah — Toews and Bellows had nice camps. I do not think Kovar or JHS had effective camps (particularly JHS). I think LL and BT will see where we are 10-20 games in and see if they can compete before making any rash decisions. I believe the players will be held to a much higher standard then in the past.

Reactions: dood and Lek

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Tomas Dali, Salvador's lesser known brother. No mustache and melting clocks, but much better butterfly.
Are you sure about that?
kvwzr8goujo01.jpg

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
No offense to either, but Filppula and Komarov haven’t done that much winning in their careers. The guys that were on winning teams (Kuhnhackl, Sbisa), did not play significant roles that contributed to the success of those teams.

On the ice, Filppula was brought in to help the PK and win faceoffs. The last game, he couldn’t win a single draw, and PHI’s PK was a bottom three PK last year.

Komarov is getting paid to score like a middle six forward for the next four years, and the only thing the 31 year old, who will be donning the orange and blue until he’s 35 years young contributes to is on the PK and in the locker room. He’s never scored more than 36 points in his entire career.

I don’t even have to go into anything about Sbisa. There’s a reason he was left unprotected in the expansion draft and not offered a contract by the reigning Western Conference champions who pursued other opportunities immediately on July 1st.

Frankly, how this team was assembled is quite bizzare. If they stick with this group until November, I guarantee they will be out of it by then.

These guys are not what Lamoriello says they are.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I am not ready to condemn the team or the decisions made by LL and BT. They have 4 championships between them in management of hockey teams. That is 4 more that have been associated with the NY Islanders then anyone since 1992. So I think they get some time and space to make this team in their image. They are the professionals and I have to believe they know a helluva lot more about players then I do. Yeah — Toews and Bellows had nice camps. I do not think Kovar or JHS had effective camps (particularly JHS). I think LL and BT will see where we are 10-20 games in and see if they can compete before making any rash decisions. I believe the players will be held to a much higher standard then in the past.
That's all fine and good but doesn't change the fact every single player Lou brought in is either a huge question mark or outright sucks. Every single one. I'm sure there's a long term plan here and none of these players are part of that but that doesn't mean fans can't criticize the players he brought in and the season outlook.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
If we are planning on winning, Toews should be playing because he is a better player than Sbisa.

If we are planning on losing, Toews should be playing because it is more important for him to gain experience than an already experienced defenseman on a one year deal.

It seems simple to me.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Only in islanders country can we finally get rid of snow and after decades of mismanagement finally hire a guy who is one of the most respected executives in the NHL and hire top5 winningest coach and Stanley cup winner only tonhsve the fans still upset and complain.

Here’s an idea. Why doesn’t everyone post the offesson moves they would have made.

Totally thought you were going elsewhere with that post. ...get rid of snow...hire most respected executives...who then go out and sign a bunch of 4th line losers and do nothing to fix the team that wasn't very good to begin with.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
No offense to either, but Filppula and Komarov haven’t done that much winning in their careers.

What do you call success?

Filppula has a Stanley Cup and three bronze in international play.

Komarov has a KHL championship, and a gold, two silver, and two bronze. That's as many medals (although not the same color) and more championships than pajama boy.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
What do you call success?

Filppula has a Stanley Cup and three bronze in international play.

Komarov has a KHL championship, and a gold, two silver, and two bronze. That's as many medals (although not the same color) and more championships than pajama boy.

NHL success. And Filppula was a different level player when he was a Cup.

Komarov didn’t play on a team that has advanced past the first round in many years, same as the Isles. Filppula was on some Tampa Bay teams that went deep, but was merely a support player on an elite team.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
NHL success. And Filppula was a different level player then.

Neither player played on a team that has advanced past the first round in at least 7-8 years, same as the Isles.

So they are a good as any other Isles player in the last 7-8 years?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So they are a good as any other Isles player in the last 7-8 years?

Yes that’s exactly what I’m saying. They were brought in because of their experience being on winning teams, but in reality, they weren’t a crucial factor in any NHL team’s winning over the last number of years.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yes that’s exactly what I’m saying. They were brought in because of their experience being on winning teams, but in reality, they weren’t a crucial factor in any NHL team’s winning over the last number of years.
Who said they were brought in "because of their experience being on winning teams"?
Phil Kessel wasn't "a crucial factor" in the leafs winning anything either, so I guess, by your logic, Komarov is as good, or as bad, as Kessel?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
FWIW, Filppula was the 8th leading scorer on Phila last year, and their 6th leading forward scorer. They were better than us. He would've been the 9th leading scorer on the Isles last year. Not sure how he is one of the worst players in the league? Because Joey from South Philly said so on their board? He is what he is.

Komarov wore an "A" last year in TOR. Posters constantly ripped Kulemin here until he was hurt, and then they realized he was valuable. I won't be shocked to see Komarov as Kuli 2.0.

At this point I'm primarily interested in having the guys who can execute Trotz' system best. Let's get that up and running and working effectively, and then we can start working in the kids.

Reactions: dood and Quicklime

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
FWIW, Filppula was the 8th leading scorer on Phila last year, and their 6th leading forward scorer. They were better than us. He would've been the 9th leading scorer on the Isles last year. Not sure how he is one of the worst players in the league? Because Joey from South Philly said so on their board? He is what he is.

Komarov wore an "A" last year in TOR. Posters constantly ripped Kulemin here until he was hurt, and then they realized he was valuable. I won't be shocked to see Komarov as Kuli 2.0.

At this point I'm primarily interested in having the guys who can execute Trotz' system best. Let's get that up and running and working effectively, and then we can start working in the kids.
When they were both on the ice the puck usually ended up in their own end and stayed there as long as they were on the ice. That's very bad.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
When they were both on the ice the puck usually ended up in their own end and stayed there as long as they were on the ice. That's very bad.
Filppula was 5th among forwards in ice time for Philly and Komarov was 7th among TOR forwards (ahead of JVR), so their coaches didn't think they were that horrible.

Reactions: dood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad