Roster Crunch: Helm, Eaves, Tootoo on LTIR/IR

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looks like Helm is going to star the year on LTIR. Eaves and Tootoo will be put on the IR.

Center Darren Helm appears likely to be on long-term IR. That would give the club $2.125 million in cap relief.

Right wing Patrick Eaves (sprained MCL, ankle) is expected to miss two-to-four weeks and will start the season on IR.
Right wing Jordin Tootoo is out at least another week with a bruised shoulder, and general manager Ken Holland said he's not likely to be ready for the start of the season.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/09/injuries_could_enable_red_wing.html

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Helm has resumed skating after suffering a groin pull on Sept. 6 but hasn't been cleared for contact due to the back injury that has plagued him for nearly nine months.

I guess this got lost in the earlier reports, no medical clearance yet.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
So say mid November he's good to go even if he's healthy he can stay on ltir?

They can't activate him until they clear roster space and not exceed the roster limit; but they also cannot leave him on LTIR once he's cleared-- meaning they MUST clear cap and roster space. I think Leino was moved around the time Lilja was coming off LTIR for the same reasons. iirc

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
We have a lot of frail bodies on this team. I don't think we'll have any problems seeing Nyquist, Sheahan/Ferraro, and others this year.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I am sorry, but Helm is done. I only wish his injury happened before he signed that new four year deal. He was a difference maker on offense that didn't make a difference. Great speed which caused opposing teams to cough up the puck, but he could never cash in on those turnovers since he has the hands of Michael J. Fox.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I am sorry, but Helm is done. I only wish his injury happened before he signed that new four year deal. He was a difference maker on offense that didn't make a difference. Great speed which caused opposing teams to cough up the puck, but he could never cash in on those turnovers since he has the hands of Michael J. Fox.

Should have traded Helm, Smith + prospect and picks for Nash :laugh:

crashman

Really should have seen this coming.

Ken Holland, the king of cap circumvention. :sarcasm:

I'm mostly kidding, but it seems a little fishy. I was really hoping he'd be forced to deal with this mess he created.

Might as well sign another player at this point! I really wish there was a way for the Wings to get Cody Franson from the Leaf.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So if Helm, Eaves and Tootoo are going to LTIR at season start, we don't have to send Nyquist down.

Then, if Nyquist plays 2 NHL games, he loses his waiver eligibility and is never going back to Griffins. :)

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
So if Helm, Eaves and Tootoo are going to LTIR at season start, we don't have to send Nyquist down.

Then, if Nyquist plays 2 NHL games, he loses his waiver eligibility and is never going back to Griffins. :)

Then we just have the 4 spots 6 winger problem. I'm starting to think Holland and company know Helm won't be back this year

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
oqr5z.jpg

crashman

Don't get too excited just yet. He'll probably play 1 game, then Tootoo will be ready and it's back to GR with Gus. Holland can't bury these guys on LTIR forever, and he doesn't seem to have a lot of options to get the bottom-feeders off the roster.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't get too excited just yet. He'll probably play 1 game, then Tootoo will be ready and it's back to GR with Gus. Holland can't bury these guys on LTIR forever, and he doesn't seem to have a lot of options to get the bottom-feeders off the roster.

When they (Eaves & Tootoo) become healthy, they will go through waivers, we will take the cap penalty and be still under the cap.

IF Helm becomes healthy, and Nyquist has locked himself up losing his waiver-status, Emmerton will be waived.

If we lose Emmerton on waivers to another team and Helm gets injured again, we promote Glendening or Sheahan. There's lots of options to handle this situation without any REAL problems.

crashman

When they (Eaves & Tootoo) become healthy, they will go through waivers, we will take the cap penalty and be still under the cap.

IF Helm becomes healthy, and Nyquist has locked himself up losing his waiver-status, Emmerton will be waived.

If we lose Emmerton on waivers to another team and Helm gets injured again, we promote Glendening or Sheahan. There's lots of options to handle this situation without any REAL problems.

I agree, but I really don't think Holland looks at just waiving guys and taking a cap penalty as such a viable option as you and I.

He's so concerned with the Red Wings reputation that he will only waive veterans like Eaves/Tootoo as an absolute last resort.

If/when Helm returns is when Holland is really going to have to make that tough decision (assuming there aren't any other guys on LTIR at the time).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad