Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Which may be why he should go. I’m torn on the subject as I’m a big fan but he doesn’t seem to be enjoying himself like he used to and sometimes guys just need a new start.
The same with Trocheck. He didn’t mesh with any of other forwards either.

Slapshottothehead

May 5, 2024
The way I see next year.

i think the Canes will have Svech- Aho- Jarvis on the top line.

Jordan- Jordan- Fast on the 3rd.

Kotk - Kuzy - ?? on the 4th line.

Need to sign 3 guys for the 2nd line and a right hand D-man to pair with Slavin.

No Turbo, No Necas
I wonder how many of the young prospects will find their way into the lineup. Its a great way to fill out the lineup and save $$$$$$

Reactions: ElmCityGuy

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I wonder how many of the young prospects will find their way into the lineup. Its a great way to fill out the lineup and save $$$$$$
I think you can bank on one of Unger Sorum, Nadeau, Blake or Suzuki being on roster next season. Personally, I’d go ahead and pencil Unger Sorum into Teravainen’s spot. Nadeau and Blake likely need at least a year in Chicago. Suzuki could make things interesting, but I doubt he’d beat out a cheap vet like Comtois or the like. The bottom 6 is going to be filled out by ELCs and/or vets on league minimum to afford the Jarvis and Guentzel extension or Guentzel/Necas replacement(s).

An aside…

Did someone mention Laine yet?

Yeah, he’s not RBA material and he’d be somewhat of a reclamation project. But, if they could somehow add him (maybe even get some retention in the CBJ end), that could be the missing piece on the PP. Such a deal would probably be very complicated though.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
(Necas played great in the playoffs. Yeah I said it.)

He did. And if he played the entire year like that, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But this organization has a long history of players that only show up when they feel like it, and when it gets to that point, it's far better to let them go.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
IMG_4859.png

Reactions: hblueridgegal

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I think you can bank on one of Unger Sorum, Nadeau, Blake or Suzuki being on roster next season. Personally, I’d go ahead and pencil Unger Sorum into Teravainen’s spot. Nadeau and Blake likely need at least a year in Chicago. Suzuki could make things interesting, but I doubt he’d beat out a cheap vet like Comtois or the like. The bottom 6 is going to be filled out by ELCs and/or vets on league minimum to afford the Jarvis and Guentzel extension or Guentzel/Necas replacement(s).

An aside…

Did someone mention Laine yet?

Yeah, he’s not RBA material and he’d be somewhat of a reclamation project. But, if they could somehow add him (maybe even get some retention in the CBJ end), that could be the missing piece on the PP. Such a deal would probably be very complicated though.
Laine has issues that would not make him a good fit (know a bit about this).

Reactions: WreckingCrew

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Laine has issues that would not make him a good fit (know a bit about this).
His issues, fair or not, likely significantly lower his value. So that may be where the Canes are a fit.

On the hockey side, yeah, can’t argue that he’d by a fit in RBA’s system, but maybe time to rethink some of that philosophy after the string of playoff disappointments.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Will there be a more dynamic forward on the trade market? You’ve got to sign him and he’s close to ufa so that would maybe hurt the return. I think both sides will be happy to move on.

I think this will hurt us but if it has to happen just get it over with. I assume he has arbitration rights and could get a one year deal to walk himself to ufa if we don’t trade him or give him the cash he wants.

Without Necas we’re going to have an interesting second line, especially if Kuzy doesn’t get the job.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
His issues, fair or not, likely significantly lower his value. So that may be where the Canes are a fit.

On the hockey side, yeah, can’t argue that he’d by a fit in RBA’s system, but maybe time to rethink some of that philosophy after the string of playoff disappointments.
Laine doesn’t play a game this is successful in the playoffs

Reactions: User13452

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

No. I'm telling you he has issues that would not make him a good fit, period, no matter the "value". Not going to offer more.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Will there be a more dynamic forward on the trade market? You’ve got to sign him and he’s close to ufa so that would maybe hurt the return. I think both sides will be happy to move on.

I think this will hurt us but if it has to happen just get it over with. I assume he has arbitration rights and could get a one year deal to walk himself to ufa if we don’t trade him or give him the cash he wants.

Without Necas we’re going to have an interesting second line, especially if Kuzy doesn’t get the job.
Necas was a high draft pick that has produced (5th best out of his draft class), just perhaps not at the level demanded by RBA nor the fan base. Canes are in a more difficult bargaining position but you hate to see a still nicely cost controlled very skilled asset like him traded at a time when the asset is depressed. Teams know that the Canes have a lot of roster upheaval and you can bet they are going to play hard ball (Canes rep of fleecing others doesn't help).

The following may be controversial.....

We celebrate the skill/dexterity of Management in running the draft but the failures of the non-Necas draft picks 2016-2019 have hurt the club more (yeah I know most are Karmonos but Gauthier-Bean, Svetch as a #2 pick should be more productive <Tkachuk-Hughes much better performers to-date>, Suzuki) have all significantly underperformed versus draft position/other available players in the draft).

I also worry that the team's current draft gurus are x-Nikishin selecting small players that will have challenges come playoff time when ref standards change and physicality matters. I've never seen a team made up of a bunch of Smurfs win the Cup.

Oh well, the musings of a disappointed older fan that realizes that opportunities like this year are few and far between. Of course, I'll always have '06.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Sounds like most of the UFAs to be will have their exit interviews today. Most interested in hearing what Guentzel and Pesce have to say.
From what I have read from Guentzel:
Enjoys the team mates.
Likes the area, said it has more to offer than he realized off the ice.
Thinks the team is a contender.
Wants long term stability for his family.

Sounds like he would stay, but looking at a 8y and NTC/NMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad