Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Necas, I do. Not TT or Pesce. Both IMO only stay if the Canes offer is comparable to the market.

IMO, Necas has been ejected from the core with the emergence of Jarvis. We have a lot of players to sign, some of which deserve expensive contracts.

If we have to choose 2 between Necas, Jarvis and Guentzel, I'm taking the last 2 every single time.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I wouldn’t even offer TT any sort of deal his time here has long expired. Some team will give him 5 million plus and be very disappointed

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If winning the analytical battle was what mattered, Bill Peters would be this generation's Scotty Bowman

Peters was run out of the league because of his conduct, but his results were not terrible. The one season he was in Calgary, he got them to the playoffs for the first time in years. His years in Carolina were saddled with both Cam Ward and Scott Darling. I don't think that I need to say much more than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleedgreen

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
IMO, Necas has been ejected from the core with the emergence of Jarvis. We have a lot of players to sign, some of which deserve expensive contracts.

If we have to choose 2 between Necas, Jarvis and Guentzel, I'm taking the last 2 every single time.

If we have to choose two, then of course you pick Jarvis and Guentzel. That's one single line of players, though. I still think that Necas drives a lot of the offensive creativity on our second line. If they have to trade him because Necas and his agents believe he can get a better role on another team, then they should consider swapping his allotted cap space for a RHD, similar to what the Wild did for Fiala, but I would try to retain him at least medium-term.

Reactions: Negan4Coach

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I wouldn’t even offer TT any sort of deal his time here has long expired. Some team will give him 5 million plus and be very disappointed

If someone actually offer 5+ with term, you let him go, but if his market is softer than expected, I think his defensive play is quite valuable to the top three lines when he's not scoring. Again, with non-core pieces, you set a price and let guys go if they go over it. I just think that TT and Pesce, unlike Skjei, Noesen or even Chatfield, are candidates to get somewhat lost in the UFA shuffle for various reasons, making them better retention candidates for Carolina.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If someone actually offer 5+ with term, you let him go, but if his market is softer than expected, I think his defensive play is quite valuable to the top three lines when he's not scoring. Again, with non-core pieces, you set a price and let guys go if they go over it. I just think that TT and Pesce, unlike Skjei, Noesen or even Chatfield, are candidates to get somewhat lost in the UFA shuffle for various reasons, making them better retention candidates for Carolina.
Teuvo does have a history of quickly signing team-friendly contracts...

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
There’s gonna be a good size market for pesce. Whoever missed on Montour if he even makes it to free agency will be in on Pesce

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Teuvo does have a history of quickly signing team-friendly contracts...
give the guy a ntc and prob come cheaper, he said in an interview he wont buy a house cause he could get traded at any time, i think its more to do with not having to keep up yard work lol

Reactions: Lempo

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
There’s gonna be a good size market for pesce. Whoever missed on Montour if he even makes it to free agency will be in on Pesce

The RHD group is one of the deepest classes in years. Montour is definitely the biggest name but there's also Matt Roy, DeMelo, Tanev, Carrier, and Chatfield, along with others. Roy, Carrier, and Chatfield are all somewhat younger than Pesce as well, with less injury history.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Yeah I don’t think Chatty is a shoe or to sign. He’ll probably be pretty overpaid, but that still might be cheaper than Pesce.

Cheaper, sure, but Pesce is normally better. I can see a world where Carolina, in the end, has a comparable enough offer in UFA to retain Pesce and let go of Chatfield, rather than the other way around.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Cheaper, sure, but Pesce is normally better. I can see a world where Carolina, in the end, has a comparable enough offer in UFA to retain Pesce and let go of Chatfield, rather than the other way around.
We haven’t focused on “better” as much as we have with “cheaper” in this regime imo. We’re big on bang for the buck. I would choose Pesce all day, we’ll see how it plays out.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Chatty gets handled in the playoffs in front of the net. Unfortunately the game isn’t always played up and down the ice. He would be excellent there.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Pesce is already slow. Good but slow. Chat is fast and decent
Well, there’s a pretty good argument for choosing good but slow over decent. Good but slow maybe owns the crease better last night and doesn’t get frazzled by a dman pinching….choosing to leave Kreider with his stick on the ground. If you have to choose both guys you drop and lay your body and stick in the way between instead of getting neither guy nor the puck. Pesce excels at that play and never got enough love around here for it. Thats one situation where being faster does nothing for you.

Fox is not a good skater, he’s a right place right time kind of player yet he’s dominant offensively. Pesce is the defensive version of that to me. I love Chatty but he’s 27-28….he doesn’t have a higher level. We’ve seen his best imo. I’d take Pesce with a bad leg or whatever because I know he’ll do everything in his power to make the right play….and he knows better than most what the right play is.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
It's blatantly obvious that something different needs to be done. Whether it be core personnel or scheme, something needs to change, because much like Toronto, it just isn't working.

You keep mentioning Tampa, Colorado and Washington, but what makes us comparable to those teams instead of say, the 2010's Sharks?
Goaltending matters....better goaltending and we win in 5. Vegas won LY because their Goalie got hot at the right time. Most cup winners have had hot goalies.

'23 playoff Freddie probably gets the series win for us this year, but '24 Freddie was sub-optimal always giving up a key goal in a series that small differences matter.

We need a little toughness on D too. Chatty got pushed around last night (Kreider and others) and Slavin, Burns, Pesce are not physical.

Having said all that.....our guys on O finish their chances and we are off to Game 7 in NY. Lastly, our #2 draft pick....we need more goals from him. He got one in the series, that's not good enough.

Edit: With hindsight, Canes sign Tro and ignore KK. Cap $ close but play light years different.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
He meant a 'shoe in' to sign here. It's an idiom.
Thank you. "Shoe in to sign" does make sense and the idiom sounds familiar. Though these so-called university dictionaries apparently try to claim it's really "shoo in". BS, it's toeing the line and it should be shoeing to [whatevs].

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
1715986263571.png

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I'm sorry, but it's past midnight and I'm kind of tired and I can't decipher this. I'm going full Kanye over the fish sticks here.
It may be past midnight for you, but it's 5:00 somewhere and bleedgreen's post is evidence of that.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Why don't you guys want Necas?
From insider opinions, the question appears to be more whether they want to pay Necas what he would want for a long-term deal.

Personally, I want to keep him on a long-term deal. He's a unique talent, especially on this team, and doesn't turn 26 until halfway through next season.

There are others on this board who think Necas is a piece that could bring back a 2C or a top 4 RD, both of which are major needs this off-season.

Necas won't be dealt for picks and/or prospects. I don't see them moving him unless it's for a significant NHL player, and probably one signed for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad