Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I still think we will regret dealing Necas unless it’s an incredible return.

I think Kotkaniemi gets bought out to get space for Guentzel, Necas, and Jarvis.

We will likely see Orlov-Chatfield as the second pairing. Sign a veteran to pair with Morrow for the third.
1 - yep. Unless it's in a deal for Tkachuk out of Ottawa there's nothing I see from the teams that would be interested that is a better option than just keeping Necas long term. Maybe Chychrun if he'll sign a reasonable extension (he won't).

2 - will be interesting to see. I think we try to move him and a sweetner for a dman and only buy him out if there's no takers. Thinking something like KK + pick for Provy from Columbus.

3 - yep.

Additionally, we won't move Freddy, but the move has to be made to start giving Kooch the starters crease going forward. Freddy just didn't have it at all in the post season despite entering on a heater. Game 5 vs the Isles on, even with that being a win, he was flat out shaky more often than not. The move to Kooch should have been made in game 2 of this series.

If the goalie coach was the one that recommended going back to Freddy despite the shaky play this post season then we need a new goalie coach.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Pursue Stamkos, if available. Don’t care about his 5v5 warts. His shot is a potential game changer for the PP.

Even though his PP scoring has cratered, maybe Laine could string together an impactful few months in a future playoff run.

A lot of talented offensive defensemen have cycled through the 1st unit over the years. Center point isn’t the problem. Aho being the #1 option when Teravainen/Svechnikov/Necas/Jarvis is on the other side is the issue.
What about Marchessault, if Vegas doesn't bring him back? Or Toffoli?

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
1 - yep. Unless it's in a deal for Tkachuk out of Ottawa there's nothing I see from the teams that would be interested that is a better option than just keeping Necas long term. Maybe Chychrun if he'll sign a reasonable extension (he won't).

2 - will be interesting to see. I think we try to move him and a sweetner for a dman and only buy him out if there's no takers. Thinking something like KK + pick for Provy from Columbus.

3 - yep.

Additionally, we won't move Freddy, but the move has to be made to start giving Kooch the starters crease going forward. Freddy just didn't have it at all in the post season despite entering on a heater. Game 5 vs the Isles on, even with that being a win, he was flat out shaky more often than not. The move to Kooch should have been made in game 2 of this series.

If the goalie coach was the one that recommended going back to Freddy despite the shaky play this post season then we need a new goalie coach.
We need a different voice in the room Rod's got his friends there.. We need someone outside.. Not sure what position coach or what Rod will still be the Coach but some assistant that's willing to call a spade a spade..

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Hey Freddie, can you read this?

Yeah?

You can,?

f*** you. Make a f***in save :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er. That's what we pay you for
1715942164671.jpeg

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I am weary of this management’s team pursuit of the value players we will need to fill the roster. Maybe they finally do okay at it this offseason.

Vegas will need to shed money again unless stone is permanent LTIR until the playoffs guy. Do they move karlsson to try to keep Marchessault? Karlsson would be a good match for us stylistically. I would avoid Stephenson, he’ll get a bunch this offseason being the 2nd best center available. I don’t his defense matches our style. I still think Jarvis is our 2c of the future.

Not many options for 2c this offseason and most are going to get overpaid. We only have room for one and that will be Guentzel

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I'd like to see necas at 2c to start next year, and to use that carrot to get him to sign a couple year bridge deal. Basically tell him, we give you the shot but you have to sbow you're more than just a winger. If he proves himself capable, his next contract will be pretty, pretty, pretty nice.
We already see where a kuzy like player plays in the playoffs. This doesn’t really solve our problem

Reactions: WreckingCrew

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
We already see where a kuzy like player plays in the playoffs. This doesn’t really solve our problem
i understand this sentiment, but that is why it is a 'prove it' - i'm hoping necas at 25 can show just enough extra whatever (truculence? i miss mocking that) to be a better fit than kuzy at 31.

in reality, we probably re-sign turbo and, after striking out on anyone that could be the 2c in free agency, slot him in. assuming kk doesn't find a way to play like the first month of this season for a longer stretch.

i'm not putting much thought into anything at all right now, but aho-necas-kuzy-staal down the middle would make for a very interesting season. if that actually happened it might be the lowest floor / highest ceiling center line-up in the history of hockey lol.

Reactions: AD Skinner

MyLuckyPuck

Jan 5, 2021
Marchand interview I heard this morning on XM very interesting and telling when addressing his "incident" with Bennett. Basically outright said what everyone thinks and knows but never says....players on every team during the playoffs share a collective strategy to hurt the other teams players because it will give them an advantage. My two thoughts on this are:
A - this is a problem for the league and the DOS simply because of their reluctance to swing the hammer in the playoffs. The punishments rarely fit the crime. There's nothing stopping a player like a Trouba from killing someone for the rest of the playoffs and he misses 2 games.
B - This team isn't built to handle that, and in the playoffs, you have to have that element on some level. I'm not saying the Canes need to be a dirty team, but look at who's left in the playoffs.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I'd like to see a move on Necas for a RHD top 4 with 3-4 years of term.

Get a package deal on KK to Utah for Schmaltz.

Sign Guentzel and Jarvis to long term contracts.

Maybe explore Lindholm signing?
Why would they move Schmaltz now? Utah isn't desperate for cap space and they will now have money to use it.

I could see Utah trying Kotkaniemi for future considerations, but I don't see any reason to move Schmaltz.

MyLuckyPuck

Jan 5, 2021
Has anyone heard any post game interviews with players/coach? I'm curious what was said after game.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
A thought…

I’m looking at BUF as a potential landing spot for Necas and/or Kotkaniemi/Drury - depending on what they do those 2.

They have a bounty of assets (11OA this year) and prospects (Ostlund?) and potentially useful filler (Jokiharju) to make a deal work.

I don’t like the idea of trading Necas to an Eastern team, but I could see the fit there. It sounds like Necas is all but gone after listening to Friedman this morning.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Talk is cheap. What difference does it make now?
Turbo team friendly deal only
TDA comes back cheap maybe
Pesce walks probably to Isles or leafs.
Skjei would be nice but not likely
Chats should stay.
Necas? Who knows
Jarvy bridge
Guentz but n no more than 8 I think
Kk. Man I don't even know or really care. Trade him I guess who knows
Nosen probably walks. Our luck it's the bruins or isles.

Pk the starter crease. Trade Andersen.

A thought…

I’m looking at BUF as a potential landing spot for Necas and/or Kotkaniemi/Drury - depending on what they do those 2.

They have a bounty of assets (11OA this year) and prospects (Ostlund?) and potentially useful filler (Jokiharju) to make a deal work.

I don’t like the idea of trading Necas to an Eastern team, but I could see the fit there. It sounds like Necas is all but gone after listening to Friedman this morning.
What did Friedman say

Reactions: Daeavorn

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Freidman and Marek talked about the canes for about 10 minutes on last nights podcast. Freidman I know has been pretty adamant all year that Necas and the canes probably won’t be able to work out a deal. His source is saying Rod won’t be going anywhere. Thinks they will try and extend Slavin this offseason and it’s a high priority. Talks about KK possible buyout thinks some teams wouldn’t do it but canes would. Skjei offered similar deal to Orlov in terms of low term but more money. Pesce likely gone and unsure on Chatfield. Also will probably take a run at trying to sign Guentzel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad