Salary Cap: Roster-building Thread XXVII: Trade Deadline, I... Am Your Father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Out of curiosity what pairing did letang play in the 09 playoffs? 3rd right? His defensive acumen isn't held as spectacular even today, so doubt he was much better at it back then compared to where pouliot is now.

Don't really care who plays, pouliot or harrington, as neither will be the key difference in them losing a series or not.

IIRC

Gonchar Orpik
Gill Scuderi
Letang Eaton
One of Boucher/Sydor.

penguins2946*

Out of curiosity what pairing did letang play in the 09 playoffs? 3rd right? His defensive acumen isn't held as spectacular even today, so doubt he was much better at it back then compared to where pouliot is now.

Don't really care who plays, pouliot or harrington, as neither will be the key difference in them losing a series or not.

Letang played with Eaton on the bottom pair in both the 2008 playoffs and 2009 playoffs. He was never eaten alive in the playoffs, and he was a huge difference maker in 2009.

If DP can help turn around this almost historically bad PP, he has a very good chance of staying up and being in the lineup come playoff time. That's his in. Make yourself irreplaceable in an area of great need.

He kinda already is irreplaceable with no additions and Despres in the top-4. We have no one that's a better fit for Scuderi on the bottom pair than Pouliot. Just give them light ES minutes, use Scuderi on the PK and Pouliot on the PP and run the **** out of the top-4.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
If Pouliot were put on the bottom pair - which he shouldn't be for multiple reasons - any good coach in the NHL will completely obliterate that advantage we give them.

That coach can also watch Pouliot bringing the puck up the making tape to tape passes to Crosby and Malkin.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Letang played with Eaton on the bottom pair in both the 2008 playoffs and 2009 playoffs. He was never eaten alive in the playoffs, and he was a huge difference maker in 2009.

He kinda already is irreplaceable with no additions and Despres in the top-4. We have no one that's a better fit for Scuderi on the bottom pair than Pouliot. Just give them light ES minutes, use Scuderi on the PK and Pouliot on the PP and run the **** out of the top-4.

Ya, Letang was pretty raw his rookie year, going into his first playoffs in '08. Some people are forgetting how raw he was, I think. DP is making a lot of sound decisions and keeping it simple. He's doing everything you could ask for at this point.

He will have a big test tonight, and if he does well, they really need to start thinking about finding that vet 7th blueliner that could step in only if DP struggles come playoff time.

DP has done nothing so far to suggest his coach can't have confidence in him to play smart hockey moving fwd. Again, this is a kid that is used to playing in high pressure situations.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
Sabres fan here. I have a ridiculous idea for you guys.

Sorry if it's already been brought up.

How would you guys feel about trading Sid for the 1st overall, and Malkin for the 2nd overall and starting over? I'm not saying you should do it, I just think it would be interesting to talk about.

On one hand... You pick up arguably 2 generational players again and start your cup runs over. You guys probably have about 7-8 more years of Crosby/Malkin before they start to decline. This could double that 7-8 year window!

On the other hand, it seems absolutely insane to trade those 2 players, and it's a huge gamble.

What do you guys think??

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

How would you guys feel about trading Sid for the 1st overall, and Malkin for the 2nd overall and starting over? I'm not saying you should do it, I just think it would be interesting to talk about.

On one hand... You pick up arguably 2 generational players again and start your cups runs over. You guys probably have about 7-8 more years of Crosby/Malkin before they start to decline. This could double that 7-8 year window!

On the other hand, it seems absolutely insane to trade those 2 players, and it's a huge gamble.

What do you guys think??

I think you're high on crack.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
No. It's more than just age and contracts with Sid and Geno. They are the Pittsburgh Penguins.

I would never even consider it for a second.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

On one hand... You pick up arguably 2 generational players again and start your cup runs over. You guys probably have about 7-8 more years of Crosby/Malkin before they start to decline. This could double that 7-8 year window!

What do you guys think??

MacKinnon was suppose to be the next Crosby, now he is struggling to break double digits in goals.

I'll go with the known generational talents in their prime.

Nei1ey*

What do you guys think??

http://troll.me/images/full-Pejorative Slur/you-went-full-Pejorative Slur-never-go-full-Pejorative Slur.jpg

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA

What do you guys think??

That you even thought this was remotely close to fair value....that you thought it was so fair you'd post it on the Pens board....my man (or woman), you're so far out to lunch that there's not going to be any reasonable responses for you. I can't imagine you should have expected otherwise.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
That you even thought this was remotely close to fair value....that you thought it was so fair you'd post it on the Pens board....my man (or woman), you're so far out to lunch that there's not going to be any reasonable responses for you. I can't imagine you should have expected otherwise.

Yikes I didn't say those would be the final deals, I'm sure more would be added to make it fair. I was just wondering what Pittsburgh fans would think about trading 2 older "generational" players for for 2 younger potentially "generational" players.

No need for the flaming, I was just bringing it up to see if I could spark a good debate.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010

What do you guys think??

i'm on board with trading one of crosby or malkin for McDavid

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yikes I didn't say those would be the final deals, I'm sure more would be added to make it fair. I was just wondering what Pittsburgh fans would think about trading 2 older "generational" players for for 2 younger potentially "generational" players.

No need for the flaming, I was just bringing it up to see if I could spark a good debate.

Why would you think it would be a good debate though? Our team is built to compete now, not rebuild. Let me put it to you this way, if you had Crosby and Malkin on the Sabres roster and they were consistently near the top of the division, would you trade both of them for the 1st and 2nd overall?

As for a "fair" trade, it would have to be something like 1st overall + Taylor Hall (if the Oilers got 1st overall) + or 1st overall + Kane + Bogosian or something like that.

So basically, the trade would have to be one the other team wouldn't do.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

When it comes to generational talents... I think most of us are going to go with the known quality. Even if they "only" have 8-10 great to above average years left. That's enough time for a dozen more generational talents to come along.

For every Sid and Geno that come along, there's a dozen Daigles, Stefans and DiPietros.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

What do you guys think??

If you knew for sure Mcdavid would be a generational talent then yeah you would trade one of them for Mcdavid, a 18 year old generational talent is worth a lot more then a 27 year old generational talent.

I don't think it would be a good trade for Buffalo either to be honest, time you guys are ready compete for a cup Sid and Geno will be in there thirties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad