Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXVII – Fortnight, Not Fortnite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Excuses excuses excuses.

Only chooses the goalposts when it's convenient for your narrative. And excusing lack of production because he did it "on purpose"?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It all depends on the prospect. A young player who is developing well is worth more than a 2nd rounder usually. There’s more time to identify if the player has a future in the NHL.

People say the Rangers need to take more shots at higher offensive talent in the draft. A great way to do that is to have more picks.

And, while the second round pick might not be a player that can ‘replace ‘ Zuccarello, it could be used to trade up for a player like, you know, K’Andre Miller, currently the best Dman prospect in the organization.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
And, while the second round pick might not be a player that can ‘replace ‘ Zuccarello, it could be used to trade up for a player like, you know, K’Andre Miller, currently the best Dman prospect in the organization.

Wait, did we trade Lundkvist away? ;)

Reactions: cheech70

Minmonster

May 13, 2018
Buffalo has 3 1st rounders. Maybe they would send us San Jose's for zucc. They need secondary scoring and could possibly resign him if skinner doesn't lower his ask.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Buffalo has 3 1st rounders. Maybe they would send us San Jose's for zucc. They need secondary scoring and could possibly resign him if skinner doesn't lower his ask.
Yeah, Buffalo can definitely make some big swings at the TDL. The question is...how highly do they value themselves as playoff contenders? Four points out of a WC spot with a game in hand on PIT.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Yeah, Buffalo can definitely make some big swings at the TDL. The question is...how highly do they value themselves as playoff contenders? Four points out of a WC spot with a game in hand on PIT.
As far as I can tell living behind the lines they don't want to spend a lot. They want to assess what they have in the wings before making any more large trades. Especially any involving the picks. 3 firsts is great currency. Either to use or to use as leverage.

Secondary scoring is probably their biggest need. But I don't know if they want to trade for it.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
As far as I can tell living behind the lines they don't want to spend a lot. They want to assess what they have in the wings before making any more large trades. Especially any involving the picks. 3 firsts is great currency. Either to use or to use as leverage.

Secondary scoring is probably their biggest need. But I don't know if they want to trade for it.
They're in that murky grey area right now, which can be tough.

Minmonster

May 13, 2018
At some point buffalo needs to go for it even for playoff experience for their core players. They've been inactive for a decade. Zucc and Vesey for their own 1st. Maybe a small add by buffalo. Would make sense for both teams.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
At some point buffalo needs to go for it even for playoff experience for their core players. They've been inactive for a decade. Zucc and Vesey for their own 1st. Maybe a small add by buffalo. Would make sense for both teams.
Friedman said on his podcast today that he thinks they won’t trade a first for a rental, but would be open to it for a player with term

Minmonster

May 13, 2018
They are pretty conservative and I can see that as a valid thought. They need the high draft picks because the organization doesn't attract free agents. Just seems that they are in perpetual rebuilding and they hit a grand slam with dahlin. Zucc would elevate that team and could break the mold as a player willing to resign their. He is loyal

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If you're weighing the odds of a 2nd rounder being better than Zuccarello then you're looking at it from entirely the wrong perspective. The rebuild is about the big picture and what you hope to come out with in the end. It's not about trading X and making sure that Y+Z >= X.

Of the top 50 scorers in the league right now only 12 are playing for teams other than the ones they were drafted by. 3 of those 12 were FA signings: Panarin, Tavares, and Wheeler. Some of those guys like Skinner, Lindholm, and someone named Zibanejad were floundering with their old team and wound up being shrewd moves for the new franchises.

The cold reality is that most of the elite talent in this league is drafted and held onto for dear life. So the more chances you have in the draft the better your odds are of finding those players. I can understand people have some issues with our drafting over the years and that's fine, but there aren't really any other viable options.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
They are pretty conservative and I can see that as a valid thought. They need the high draft picks because the organization doesn't attract free agents. Just seems that they are in perpetual rebuilding and they hit a grand slam with dahlin. Zucc would elevate that team and could break the mold as a player willing to resign their. He is loyal

They’re about 4 points out with a game in hand and behind Carolina. I could see them trying to fill in some depth, maybe a guy like Fast or Namestnikov with some term left could interest them as it helps them this year and next. They had Berglund and both of those guys would help fill the hole he left. Neither would mean a 1st but perhaps a 2nd

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If you're weighing the odds of a 2nd rounder being better than Zuccarello then you're looking at it from entirely the wrong perspective. The rebuild is about the big picture and what you hope to come out with in the end. It's not about trading X and making sure that Y+Z >= X.

Of the top 50 scorers in the league right now only 12 are playing for teams other than the ones they were drafted by. 3 of those 12 were FA signings: Panarin, Tavares, and Wheeler. Some of those guys like Skinner, Lindholm, and someone named Zibanejad were floundering with their old team and wound up being shrewd moves for the new franchises.

The cold reality is that most of the elite talent in this league is drafted and held onto for dear life. So the more chances you have in the draft the better your odds are of finding those players. I can understand people have some issues with our drafting over the years and that's fine, but there aren't really any other viable options.

Wasn't a FA signing, he went to Atlanta in the Peverly deal.

Panarin was sort of because he came over directly from the K but again, was traded for. So its really just JT.

I mean that only further enforces your point so yeah lol.

Minmonster

May 13, 2018
Buffalo may have traded their 2nd for skinner. Give them a window to negotiate with zucc and add if it makes since. Wouldn't be opposed to their 2020 1st either

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Wasn't a FA signing, he went to Atlanta in the Peverly deal.

Panarin was sort of because he came over directly from the K but again, was traded for. So its really just JT.

I mean that only further enforces your point so yeah lol.

Well I meant that Wheeler was a FA signing instead of signing with the team that drafted him. He signed with Boston instead of Arizona, but you're right that Atlanta traded for him. Sort of clouded my own point there, haha.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

Maybe you're right - maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. I see it as giving up a known quantity for a possibly lesser or possibly greater unknown quantity. like if I have a stock that's worth 25 cents right now and you buy it for a dollar knowing that it could end up being worth $2 or it could end up being worthless - I don't know if that's the best analogy but it sorta works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad