Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXVII – Fortnight, Not Fortnite

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Well I meant that Wheeler was a FA signing instead of signing with the team that drafted him. He signed with Boston instead of Arizona, but you're right that Atlanta traded for him. Sort of clouded my own point there, haha.

Guys in the tiers of players that you cited will become available via trade over the coming years - thats just the nature of the business. I'd almost rather trade for that level of player instead of signing them as a UFA, at least you know you'll be paying for the "prime" years for that player rather than maybe the back end of the prime years and at least, satisfactory play.

I know thats sort of off topic, but thats what some want us to do with guys who aren't even close to that class of player. I like Hayes, I even think that 6x6 isn't a bad deal for him, I still don't want that contract on this team.

The whole "we may not even get another Zuccarello or Hayes" mind set has to stop. The goal should be to try and aim to get players better than that. Those players are available in the 2nd round.

Reactions: jas and Wind Waker

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Maybe you're right - maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. I see it as giving up a known quantity for a possibly lesser or possibly greater unknown quantity. like if I have a stock that's worth 25 cents right now and you buy it for a dollar knowing that it could end up being worth $2 or it could end up being worthless - I don't know if that's the best analogy but it sorta works.

Not as good as your blackjack one.

Reactions: Kaapo di tutti capi

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Maybe you're right - maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. I see it as giving up a known quantity for a possibly lesser or possibly greater unknown quantity. like if I have a stock that's worth 25 cents right now and you buy it for a dollar knowing that it could end up being worth $2 or it could end up being worthless - I don't know if that's the best analogy but it sorta works.
To add to your analogy, it would be like that $1 you know you have will be $1 for maybe another 2-3-4 years, where that maybe $2 also has more than double that to become $2 or even be used to trade for something else down the line

Wind Waker

Jun 25, 2018
Long Island

The stock is a known quality with an expiration date - In 2-3 years (possibly less), the price plummets completely. Better to sell high and hope your next investment rises.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

You're not wrong, because that's basically exactly what we're doing by dealing these guys for futures. Sticking with your analogy, what you're really doing is taking $100 in cash and investing it in a volatile security. It could crash and you end up with nothing, or it could boom and you come out looking like a genius. It could even end up paying out exactly what you put into it. Either way, you won't know until you try.

The Rangers need to stockpile assets, but the reality is most of those assets will never have a meaningful career with the Rangers. They'll either bust or get traded. Still, it's very early on and the initial results are actually very promising. Howden and Andersson are good character players with two-way ability that can be viable middle-six NHLers. Chytil and Kravtsov look like top-six forwards in the making. Miller and Lundkvist are having extremely good D+1 seasons. DeAngelo is making strides. Zibanejad looks like he's found a potentially elite level to his game. Shestyorkin and Georgiev are high quality goalie prospects. So if you look at all of that, it looks like we're off to a very good start.

I get the skepticism people have. It's hard to look at Olaf Lindbom, Ryan Gropp, Brandon Halverson, Christian Thomas, and Boo Nieves as the last 5 2nd round picks the Rangers have made and think "this team can draft well." But there are an awful lot of bright spots in the prospect pool after just two "rebuilding" drafts and some of the slightly forgotten guys having bounce-back seasons.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Guys in the tiers of players that you cited will become available via trade over the coming years - thats just the nature of the business. I'd almost rather trade for that level of player instead of signing them as a UFA, at least you know you'll be paying for the "prime" years for that player rather than maybe the back end of the prime years and at least, satisfactory play.

I know thats sort of off topic, but thats what some want us to do with guys who aren't even close to that class of player. I like Hayes, I even think that 6x6 isn't a bad deal for him, I still don't want that contract on this team.

The whole "we may not even get another Zuccarello or Hayes" mind set has to stop. The goal should be to try and aim to get players better than that. Those players are available in the 2nd round.

I mean I look at it this way: The Rangers are off loading good players like Hayes and Zucc for futures. So when the time comes that the Rangers feel like they need to add a Hayes or a Zucc to finish off their roster, they can deal some futures for them. I just don't believe the time is right to hang onto them and hope.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Bunting on waivers from AZ. Worth a claim?

23, promising AHL Stats. Read about him being a potential pest to play against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad