Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He missed time in 2016-17 because of a holdout and a suspension, not injuries.

He also has no injury history to speak of prior to the NHL.
Except we are talking about what has happened since he been in the NHL, not what happened to him before he got to the NHL.

Ok, let's go with the holdout theory. That still means that in his 6 years in the NHL, he has had a significant injury and has been forced to miss time in half of them. That is a staggeringly significant number. 50% of his first six professional seasons have been marred by a major injury. Said differently, in half of his professional seasons, he has been forced to missed over a quarter or more of a season due to injury. That is not myth. That is reality. At some point one can legitimately begin to question if he is injury prone and can he stay on the ice consistently. So far, like it or not, the answer has been no.

And now, you want to trade major assets AND sign him to a salary which will be commensurable with top pairing salaries and ask a player who has had issues staying on the ice and has never been that type of player to be the cornerstone of the defense? To make no mention of the supporting cast in Winnipeg compared to the supporting cast in NY?

Reactions: pld459666

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
It sounds like an entry level position. Does he have experience in management? No. However, they would know the man and obviously think he has some potential within the organization. Where does he ascend to? Well, that's up to Glass and obviously the organization. He may be a rah-rah guy for fan events, and maybe he gets involved with some of the prospects. Or maybe he's Gorton's replacement in 10-15 years. Who knows. He made it to the NHL and stayed around for a long time with hands of stone, so he must have something valuable inside that noggin of his.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Except we are talking about what has happened since he been in the NHL, not what happened to him before he got to the NHL.

Ok, let's go with the holdout theory. That still means that in his 6 years in the NHL, he has had a significant injury and has been forced to miss time in half of them. That is a staggeringly significant number. 50% of his first six professional seasons have been marred by a major injury. Said differently, in half of his professional seasons, he has been forced to missed over a quarter or more of a season due to injury. That is not myth. That is reality. At some point one can legitimately begin to question if he is injury prone and can he stay on the ice consistently. So far, like it or not, the answer has been no.

And now, you want to trade major assets AND sign him to a salary which will be commensurable with top pairing salaries and ask a player who has had issues staying on the ice and has never been that type of player to be the cornerstone of the defense? To make no mention of the supporting cast in Winnipeg compared to the supporting cast in NY?

I would add that many think he's coming at an incredible bargain. You are correct when you say 'major assets.' WPG could always keep him as a rental and let him walk, or if they decide to move him, then they would have a long list of potential suitors. Top defenseman go for a premium (unless your ass backwards like the Sens). I keep seeing Lias Andersson thrown around as the cornerstone of this deal, and that's simply not realistic.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
' WPG could always keep him as a rental and let him walk, or if they decide to move him, then they would have a long list of potential suitors. Top defenseman go for a premium (unless your ass backwards like the Sens). I keep seeing Lias Andersson thrown around as the cornerstone of this deal, and that's simply not realistic.
Winnipeg is in their window and is a "win now" team. They are not letting him go for a song. They would not be looking to collect draft picks.

Again, if the desire to get him is so hot, why not just let him get to UFA and then sign him next year?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Winnipeg is in their window and is a "win now" team. They are not letting him go for a song. They would not be looking to collect draft picks.

Again, if the desire to get him is so hot, why not just let him get to UFA and then sign him next year?

Because he's going to sign long-term wherever he gets traded, plus it will cost more to sign him as a UFA.

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
While everyone discusses Winnipeg and Trouba, whats your take on Ehlers? Does he play more right wing or left? had 2 60+ point seasons, down year this year, disappears in the playoffs, but I'm intrigued by him, if the Jets are in win now mode and need to sign Connor and Laine to big contracts would they be willing to take quantity over quality? 2 guys from us making less then his 6 million that can pot 30,30 combined?

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
First of all, Tanner Glass is smart: he attended Dartmouth, an Ivy, for 4 years.

Second, he was an overachiever, carving out an NHL career with just a modicum of skill.

Third, wherever he played, he became a favorite of both his coaches and other players.

Fourth, if you’ve ever listened or watched an interview with him, it is obvious that he has a deep understanding of the game and people.

Sounds like he had the skillset to carve out a post-NHL front office career.

Kudos to the Rangers for recognizing a different kind of hockey talent. Who knows where this will go: maybe nowhere or perhaps the start for someone who can be essential to the future success of the Rangers.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
First of all, Tanner Glass is smart: he attended Dartmouth, an Ivy, for 4 years.

Second, he was an overachiever, carving out an NHL career with just a modicum of skill.

Third, wherever he played, he became a favorite of both his coaches and other players.

Fourth, if you’ve ever listened or watched an interview with him, it is obvious that he has a deep understanding of the game and people.

Kudos to the Rangers for recognizing a different kind of hockey talent. Who knows where this will go: maybe nowhere or perhaps the start for someone who can be essential to the future success of the Rangers.
Is...is this poster Tanner Glass?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Because he's going to sign long-term wherever he gets traded, plus it will cost more to sign him as a UFA.
That is because your presumption is that he signs wherever he is traded to. I am going with a 26 year old kid that knows he will be one of the most looked at free agents, will go UFA.

Reactions: pld459666

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Just to add to this, if he’s going to be one of the “developmental coaches” that JD mentioned hiring, then he’s a perfect for it. His main job will keeping tabs on prospects, asking how practices are going, their workouts, are they following a proper diet, etc.

He’s not a good hockey player, but he’s an incredibly likeable person that’s a former pro. That’s not the worst thing to have around your prospects, especially considering how the Rangers want these kids to feel like they’re Rangers from Day 1.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
While everyone discusses Winnipeg and Trouba, whats your take on Ehlers? Does he play more right wing or left? had 2 60+ point seasons, down year this year, disappears in the playoffs, but I'm intrigued by him, if the Jets are in win now mode and need to sign Connor and Laine to big contracts would they be willing to take quantity over quality? 2 guys from us making less then his 6 million that can pot 30,30 combined?

obviously depends on the price but 100% would be interested if he's on the block because the jets need to move him. 23 years old, 25-30 goals, 50-60 points so he basically replaces kreider without improving. locked up for 6 more years @ $6 mil which is a good deal for his production now no less if his production goes up as he gets older...

thats the type of guy we should be targeting. very young but older than all our kids and hitting the age that he could be ready to bust out...of course thats also why alot of times would be interested and therefore the price will probably be high. but at the right price sign me up.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Just to add to this, if he’s going to be one of the “developmental coaches” that JD mentioned hiring, then he’s a perfect for it. His main job will keeping tabs on prospects, asking how practices are going, their workouts, are they following a proper diet, etc.

He’s not a good hockey player, but he’s an incredibly likeable person that’s a former pro. That’s not the worst thing to have around your prospects, especially considering how the Rangers want these kids to feel like they’re Rangers from Day 1.

Taking crib notes from @Edge and the podcast, I see. And like you, I see no problem in hiring Glass for the position. He was always well-liked by his teammates. He was a hard worker and fiercely loyal. He’s someone who will have a very positive affect on players coming into the organization. He’s not here take icetime from anyone. I don’t see the problem.

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Really underrated player signed to a great contract. Excellent guy to target and would love to have him but cringe at the thought of what the asking price might be.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
The Sharks and Karlsson continue to work at a contract extension, according to a league source. The belief is that the Sharks are prepared to offer the two-time Norris Trophy winner an eight-year contract somewhere in the vicinity of the eight-year, $88 million contract that Kings defenseman Drew Doughty signed last summer.

Sharks and Erik Karlsson continue to work at a potential...

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
The Sharks and Karlsson continue to work at a contract extension, according to a league source. The belief is that the Sharks are prepared to offer the two-time Norris Trophy winner an eight-year contract somewhere in the vicinity of the eight-year, $88 million contract that Kings defenseman Drew Doughty signed last summer.

Sharks and Erik Karlsson continue to work at a potential...
11 million cap hit for a guy with one ankle. You deserve everything you got coming to you Sharks.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
That is because your presumption is that he signs wherever he is traded to. I am going with a 26 year old kid that knows he will be one of the most looked at free agents, will go UFA.
Here’s how it works...you make a deal in concept with the other GM and before you complete the trade, you ask permission to speak to the agent. The Rangers know Overholt...he’s a tough negotiator. He’s also talked to the player and knows where is is willing to play and what kind of dough he is looking for. You can either strike a deal right there, set the parameters for a deal or see that things are not going to work out. Then you close the deal or walk away. The Rangers are in a unique position because the top destinations for players (and New York is a top destination) usually are tighter on $. Neither Gorton or I are interested in trading for a player who is not going to sign.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Really hope we don’t trade something stupid for Trouba just to give him a 1D contract, watch him struggle in that role and then start the process over with someone else.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Taking crib notes from @Edge and the podcast, I see. And like you, I see no problem in hiring Glass for the position. He was always well-liked by his teammates. He was a hard worker and fiercely loyal. He’s someone who will have a very positive affect on players coming into the organization. He’s not here take icetime from anyone. I don’t see the problem.

On the beach, so I haven’t heard or seen anything. My gut reaction is that Glass is likely someone who will work with/be part of the team that follows up with young players throughout the organization, ensuring they have the support they need. Working to give them resources, keeps tabs, etc.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
On the beach, so I haven’t heard or seen anything. My gut reaction is that Glass is likely someone who will work with/be part of the team that follows up with young players throughout the organization, ensuring they have the support they need. Working to give them resources, keeps tabs, etc.

Actually, what I was referring to was the part of the podcast where you three were discussing the getting of these prospects to identify as Rangers, taking a cue from TB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad