Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLII Time for Curtis Lazar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I guess, but the 2 aren't remotely the same.

Fox probably just had the best season for any Ranger D, rookie or not, since the 04 lockout with 2013-14 McDonagh really being the only other one you could make a case for.

Fox from Dec 1st onwards was a monster player.

I'm not saying they are exactly the same. But it wouldn't be the first time a defenseman is unable to live up to the hype surrounding his amazing rookie year.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Sky high expectations by this fanbase after a really good rookie year

Del Zotto isn’t nearly as skilled or smart as Fox, I don’t like this comparison. I get your point about the expectations, but think about it... He needs to bulk up and improve his skating, things which are more than possible. He put up over 40 points as a rookie without being on the 1st unit. It’s more then possible that he hits 50-60 points with 1st unit PP time.

His skills and smarts are through the roof. Del Zotto never had that type of upside and his 3rd season was really good, but he played sheltered minutes and got 1st unit PP time and put up 40 points. Fox became the team’s 1D during the season and played excellently in that role. He has a lot of room to improve as well.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Well I think one thing is that Del Zottos rookie season wasn't even that good he just got massive amounts of ice time on PP1. And at the time people were much worse at evaluating dmen.

I agree for sure.

And I am not sure if MDZ had his mind at the right place all the time either.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
The idea, too, that we have to have three pairs that are L-R is nuts and makes zero sense. Keep DeAngelo, Fox, Trouba, and Lundkvist, unless of course, Buffalo wanted Lundkvist down the road for Eichel, but that's beside the point. People have said we need to create room for those four to play top-four minutes. Lundkvist hasn't even left Sweden yet and set foot on North American ice so how do we know he will be ready to be a top-four immediately? Again, DeAngelo is too dynamic to move unless he's bringing back a potential top pair left-handed shot, and even then I'd be very hesitant.

What if Buffalo is asking and won't budge on DeAngelo?
Zib and Eichel as 1-2 punch down the middle? Talk about dynamics. It would be ridiculous in such a good way.

I didn't think that trade proposal would go too far but alas, lol. I can totally get on board with the notion of being deep with defensive prospects to the point of using it as a strength for situations exactly like this. The cost of trading for Eichel is going to sting. I'd prefer to move Trouba but can't see that happening at all.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
And that's just training camp. I still don't see NHL hockey coming back before August. They should just cancel the whole thing and start pre-season in September. Now we have 2 seasons affected by this
I think the thought process is in finishing this past season and then stopping (restarting in 2021) allows for time in between to come up with a vaccine/cure. If you cancel and start in Oct you run the risk of having to stop again with no vaccine available and another possible severe wave.

I think it's the right call. Get this past season done, award The Cup then pray for a safe start in 2021.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
And that's just training camp. I still don't see NHL hockey coming back before August. They should just cancel the whole thing and start pre-season in September. Now we have 2 seasons affected by this

To the point @Riche16 is making, in addition to and beyond health concerns, the NHL doesn't really have any interest in playing the regular season without fans in the stands from a monetary point of view. Even if they cancelled the 2020 playoffs, they still wouldn't be starting the 20-21 season in October.

Reactions: bobbop

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Why should they cancel the whole thing when: (I agree early Aug is a likely start date)

1. The NBA just announced a plan to resume July 31 in Disney
2. The MLS just announced a plan to resume July 8 in Disney
3. The MLB claim they will "100% have a season" since the league can mandate it but have financial issues
4. The PGA just restarted right now
5. NASCAR restarted on May 17
6. NFL is unknown given this has all gone on during the offseason

And that's just the American leagues and ignores Bundesliga/KBO Baseball which have already started, EPL which is starting on Wednesday and NPB which is starting next Friday (among many other major leagues which I obviously have not got to).

Why should they be different than every other major American league none of which have canceled?

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Why should they cancel the whole thing when: (I agree early Aug is a likely start date)

3. The MLB claim they will "100% have a season" since the league can mandate it but have financial issues

And that's just the American leagues and ignores Bundesliga/KBO Baseball which have already started, EPL which is starting on Wednesday and NPB which is starting next Friday (among many other major leagues which I obviously have not got to).

Why should they be different than every other major American league none of which have canceled?
If the NBA and MLS can do what they're doing, there is absolutely no reason the NHL can't restart. I haven't always been fully on board with this--at one point I was done and favored canceling--but the NHL seems to have a reasonable plan and it will probably be beneficial to the league in the short and long term.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
What if Buffalo is asking and won't budge on DeAngelo?
Zib and Eichel as 1-2 punch down the middle? Talk about dynamics. It would be ridiculous in such a good way.

I didn't think that trade proposal would go too far but alas, lol. I can totally get on board with the notion of being deep with defensive prospects to the point of using it as a strength for situations exactly like this. The cost of trading for Eichel is going to sting. I'd prefer to move Trouba but can't see that happening at all.
I'd include DeAngelo over Lundkvist if they wanted. I just would prefer not to move Fox.

Reactions: charliemurphy

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

Formula 1 starts on July 5.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Formula 1 starts on July 5.

Yea so essentially the vast majority of leagues that have entirely canceled are lower tier leagues. Here is a list of sports leagues by Revenue from 2018 and what they have done:

1. NFL - TBD as it's the offseason
2. MLB - Plan on playing but ongoing labor disputes
3. EPL - Starting Wednesday
4. NBA - Plan on starting 7/31
5. La Liga (Spain) - Started today
6. NHL - Agreed on a restart plan/working on implementation. Training camp expected to start 7/10
7. Bundesliga - Already started
8. Italian Seria A: Restarting 6/20
9. Formula 1 - Restart 7/5
10. Ligue 1 (France) - CANCELED
11. NPB - Starting next Friday

Etc...

They're pretty much all restarting so I'm not sure why the NHL should do something different. The conclusion of one season is more important than the start of another. When leagues have lock outs (no full season ones) like the NHL and NBA had and had shortened season they were widely considered legitimate. When leagues stopped early (MLB strike) people were outraged. Obviously circumstances are different but the end is important. I don't think you can use safety as a viable reason given 9 of the other 10 top leagues plan to start and all businesses are beginning to open.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Well, to be fair, the NASCAR, MLS, MLB and NFL are in very different situations, having either not started in the case of MLB and NFL, or barely having gotten started for the MLS and NASCAR. They're not in the position of deciding between finishing they're nearly finished season or starting the next season.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
This is getting out of hand. I dremt of RB making a post the other night.

@bernmeister What do you think about making an documentary? "Searching for @RangerBoy". I take a flight to JFK with the toothbrush in my backpocket where you meet me, and we take on NYC. Think it could be Academy Award materia. We start following up leads. Print old posts with clues about his habits and plaster a wall with them. Stake outs. The whole thing.

Please note: I've not run it by the mrs. yet.
Is this sort of like "Looking for Mr. Goodbar?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad