Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLII Time for Curtis Lazar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Every time a star player is rumored available, posters throw out statements like "oh, he'll cost your two best players plus half the farm" and it never happens.

Joe Thornton with 3 years remaining on his deal returned Marco Sturm, Wayne Primeau, and Brad Stuart.

Rick Nash with 6 years remaining on his deal returned Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubinsky, Tim Erixon and a first-round pick.

But Jack Eichel with 6 years remaining is going to cost Mika Zibanejad + + + + ?

I don't see it.

I've said for a while now that if Eichel were ever to come here, a deal centered around ADA (who as the fourth highest scoring D in the league this year, only one year older, and an RFA due a new deal, shouldn't be that far off Eichel value-wise) + 2-3 more minor pieces (say, Hajek and Henriksson) makes the most sense.

Otherwise, I think you're looking at something more like Strome, Chytil, Lundkvist, plus a 1st (maybe add Smith for salary purposes).

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think the issue is the salary cap space more then the players.

The Rangers have many good assets that they can trade from--the problem with those assets is they don't have the large salaries.

Highly doubt the Rangers would trade Trouba--I know some believe because of his salary it make sense but it would set a bad example for other players whom want to come to NY--yes it's a business but these things matter.

Zibs doesn't make sense either--we want to have a strong down the middle set up not trade a 1A for a 1B.

Kreider just signed and if Zibs is not the next captain it will be CK. Only my thoughts but I don't believe he gets moved.

So a lot of people have thrown out names what about:

Buch--3.250
Chytil or Kravtsov--.900
One of Nils or Miller
Georgiev--RFA
The higher of our 1st round picks
B Smith--yes Smith for cap proposes--4.350 Smith only has one year left on his deal and everyone would rather trade him then Zibs/Trouba/CK.

Or:

Buch--3.250
Chytil or Kravtsov--.900
ADA--RFA
The higher of our 1st round picks
B Smith--yes Smith for cap proposes--4.350

Buffalo will want a center back to replace Eichel that why I'm thinking Chytil more then Kravtsov.

Buck replaces some ( yes not even close ) scoring.

Buffalo gets additional defense scoring help from either package.

Package a gets Buffalo a goalie of their future.

An additional first round pick this year.

Smith well a vet whom could help on D or wing.

Jake brings in a 10 million cap hit--trading either of those package sends 8.5 million out. Any trade for player as good as Eichel will require given up multiple young assets which will hurt but the Rangers can change some names around but the basis of a every good deal is there.

Last but not least we could buy out Staal ( does anyone know his cap hit for the buy out ? ) to help with signing some of our remaining RFA's.
Agreed with your first proposal. That's much more in line with reality, if such a deal were to happen – and I think it would actually be generous, given the historical precedents. (See my post directly above.)

I think your second proposal is still too much due to the fact it includes ADA plus all those other pieces.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Every time a star player is rumored available, posters throw out statements like "oh, he'll cost your two best players plus half the farm" and it never happens.

Joe Thornton with 3 years remaining on his deal returned Marco Sturm, Wayne Primeau, and Brad Stuart.

Rick Nash with 6 years remaining on his deal returned Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubinsky, Tim Erixon and a first-round pick.

But Jack Eichel with 6 years remaining is going to cost Mika Zibanejad + + + + ?

I don't see it.

I've said for a while now, that if Eichel were ever to come here, a deal centered around ADA (who as the fourth highest scoring D in the league this year, only one year older, and an RFA due a new deal, shouldn't be that far off Eichel value-wise) + 2-3 more minor pieces (say, Hajek and Henriksson).

Otherwise, I think you're looking at something more like Strome, Chytil, Lundkvist, plus a 1st (maybe add Smith for salary purposes).

This would make sense to center the deal around ADA. It would suck as I really enjoy watching him play and think he has a bright future.

In saying that, ADA + Chytil is probably where I would start and see if a couple of depth pieces help round that deal into form. Someone like Hajek/Rykov/Reunanen and Andersson/Howden.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
This would make sense to center the deal around ADA. It would suck as I really enjoy watching him play and think he has a bright future.

In saying that, ADA + Chytil is probably where I would start and see if a couple of depth pieces help round that deal into form. Someone like Hajek/Rykov/Reunanen and Andersson/Howden.
100%. And again, given the historical precedents, that would be great value for BUF.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I think you have to offer both first round picks (provided one doesn't become a top 3 pick of course). That's a huge advantage we would have over most other teams. They can get more prospects they like or turn around and trade the picks for players instead of being forced to look at prospect pools. I don't think Eichel is actually going to get traded though.
Flyers have the roster forward depth to beat most of our offers though. Packages like Couts+Patrick+ or Couts+Konecny are tough to beat.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

No because not only does Buffalo have a carbon copy of ADA in Dahlin, they also have insane depth at RD (Risto, Montour, Miller, Jokiharju). ADA only makes sense to us, not to Buffalo - who desperately need top-6/top-9 forwards and to a lesser extent LDs.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Buffalo has like a million defenseman including Dahlin who is likely going to be their PP1 guy for years. I think they'd much prefer forwards/forward prospects. They also happened to be quite good defensively this year (5th in CA60/8th in GA60/11th in xGA60 etc.).

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
No because not only does Buffalo have a carbon copy of ADA in Dahlin, they also have insane depth at RD (Risto, Montour, Miller, Jokiharju). ADA only makes sense to us, not to Buffalo - who desperately need top-6/top-9 forwards and to a lesser extent LDs.

Buffalo has like a million defenseman including Dahlin who is likely going to be their PP1 guy for years. I think they'd much prefer forwards/forward prospects. They also happened to be quite good defensively this year (5th in CA60/8th in GA60/11th in xGA60 etc.).
Fair points about Buffalo's D. But by the same token, we know they've been rumored to be trying to move Ristolainen for a year now, and perhaps they'd be able to move one other for other assets, and boom, all of a sudden it makes more sense.

Alternatively, the solution would be something more like the "option B" I threw out: Strome, Chytil, Lundkvist, 1st + Smith for salary purposes.

Hell, you could swap Kravstov for Lundkvist and give 'em all forward pieces.

Or maybe you even arrange the mythical 3-team deal...

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I thought they loved that goalie with the extremely Finnish name (Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen!) but he had a down year. Keeping Georgiev around on the off chance they could send a Shesty+ package to Buffalo would be wild.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Montour plays on the left for Buffalo right? That might be out of necessity due to RD depth though

DeAngelo makes sense on the surface but I agree Buffalo *probably* doesn't need him

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Flyers have the roster forward depth to beat most of our offers though. Packages like Couts+Patrick+ or Couts+Konecny are tough to beat.

I would find it hard to believe they would move either Couturier or Konecny. That would be comparable to the Rangers trading Zibanejad. Any Eichel deal would be made with the idea of adding to the current teams

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Colin Miller was not overly loved in Buffalo this season. Also Risto has been on the block for a while. Beyond Dahlin, I'm not sure I see anyone there long term.

Miller had 11 points in 51 games this season. Honestly, they may be looking to dump him

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Looking at BUF's D again... sure they've got 4 RD, but the only superstar (in waiting) is Dahlin, and he plays the left. And then again, there's the question of the expansion draft.

So, let's say they move Miller/Risto.

2020-2021
Dahlin-Miller/Risto
Montour-ADA
McCabe-Jokiharju
(Pilut and/or UFA vet)

Expose whichever of Miller/Risto remains.

2021-2022
Dahlin-Montour
McCabe-ADA
Pilut/UFA vet-Jokiharju

Yeah, I'm with @NYR Viper. I'm not so sure a deal centered around ADA wouldn't be viable.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Colin Miller was not overly loved in Buffalo this season. Also Risto has been on the block for a while. Beyond Dahlin, I'm not sure I see anyone there long term.

Miller had 11 points in 51 games this season. Honestly, they may be looking to dump him
They'd clear Miller, Risto, and/or Montour for either Trouba or ADA. None of those are locks for top pair the way ADA or Trouba are. Risto is the closest, but he looks more like second pair on a contender. For the other two, second pair might be their ceiling.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
And the other thing to consider about such a potential deal, is that if BUF moves Eichel, they are again rebuilding – and if that's the case, then it's all about identifying the pillars you mean to build around, and then moving the other pieces to make 'em all fit. You want young stars ~24-and-under on long term deals plus promising kids on UFAs, then sprinkle in vets for leadership.

So, if you think ADA can be your Karlsson, you get him, and it doesn't matter how many Millers and Ristolainens and even Montours you have; you'll move them later in other deals, as needs be.

Reactions: Trxjw

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Trouba needs to be in for cap. Dahlin/Trouba is a locked in pairing they can build around

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Trouba does NOT need to be in for cap.

The team has buyouts available, Smith to send the other way as filler, and either ADA or Strome as RFAs who are going to require meaningful contracts this summer that could go back as meaningful parts of the return.

I understand Trouba has become a whipping boy around here (though it blows my mind), but I don't see the team trading him any time soon.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
And the other thing to consider about such a potential deal, is that if BUF moves Eichel, they are again rebuilding – and if that's the case, then it's all about identifying the pillars you mean to build around, and then moving the other pieces to make 'em all fit. You want young stars ~24-and-under on long term deals plus promising kids on UFAs, then sprinkle in vets for leadership.

So, if you think ADA can be your Karlsson, you get him, and it doesn't matter how many Millers and Ristolainens and even Montours you have; you'll move them later in other deals, as needs be.

Yeah I wouldn't get too hung up on what Buffalo has on their roster right now. As noted, if they trade Eichel it's because they're making big changes. You get the best players you can in the deal and work from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad