Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Ekland spewing crap,,Panarin to us,Isles or Habs...Free agency or Trade its a guess. CBJ look decent probably keep him for the run and lose him for nothing.

Reactions: kinger8998

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
No inside info, my feeling is that Hayes remains in blue through the year - and ends up resigning at a slight discount. This thing will be played out, and in the end he stays. Just my gut.

Zucc will be sooner rather than later. Again, just my gut.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
I could definitely see Buffalo being a team who pushes to trade for and sign Hayes. They’re on the rise quickly.

I think a dark horse here may be Montreal. They’ve wanted a center FOREVER.

With the Habs being only 4 points from 5th overall in the standings a 1st rd pick in the 20's is decent for both sides as a starting point.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
Montreal doesn’t have any prospects that excite me like a Colorado or, more realistically, a Winnipeg.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Montreal doesn’t have any prospects that excite me like a Colorado or, more realistically, a Winnipeg.
The flip side of that is Colorado and Winnipeg are flush with prospects because their GMs are stingy while MB has been happy to trade youth. So Sakic may have a cache of assets, you will probably have to pry them from his cold, dead fingers. Bergevin will probably part with his best assets for Hayes. Sakic will try to dump cap on us and offer a 4th rounder.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
No inside info, my feeling is that Hayes remains in blue through the year - and ends up resigning at a slight discount. This thing will be played out, and in the end he stays. Just my gut.

Zucc will be sooner rather than later. Again, just my gut.

Your gut is very unreasonable. No way Gorton takes this risk and not either trade or resign Hayes prior to TDL.

Reactions: bobbop

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Your gut is very unreasonable. No way Gorton takes this risk and not either trade or resign Hayes prior to TDL.

For sure.

I think that decision has likely already been made and was made last summer. Maybe his play has made them reconsider their position but if he isn’t re-signed shortly after the new year he’s a goner in 2 months.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If a pick in the 20's is the highlight of a Hayes trade then we're getting screwed.

(Edit) And we're getting worse, not better.
That's my worry the more and more we wait until the deadline unless we get some fraud playoff team (a team that aspires to make the playoffs every year but in reality sucks) like carolina or Arizona to pony up their first we are gonna get a pick like we got from boston or Tampa (22-31 range). That is just not enough for someone like Hayes. Gorton has his work cut out for him. I feel a fair first rounder would be in the 8-14 range for Hayes but those probably won't be the teams asking for him.
Now if we get a pick from colorado plus a guy like Kaut then that would be fair but I don't want no middle to lower tier prospect and a pick in the mid 20's.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
They have that first rounder but I doubt they trade that albeit MB has made some dumb trades over the years (but gotta give him some credit on the Galchenyuk and Patioready trades so far).
Montreal is playing well but when all is said and done i see them just missing the playoffs so that could be decent first rounder.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
For sure.

I think that decision has likely already been made and was made last summer. Maybe his play has made them reconsider their position but if he isn’t re-signed shortly after the new year he’s a goner in 2 months.

IMHO, Gorton was honest with Hayes and media when he said that one-year contract they gave Hayes was to reassess the situation after January 1st.

The contract parameters they discussed was of $6+m for 6 years with some sort of NTC. Let's say the "+" = $0.2m. During the offseason Gorton probably didn't think Hayes' contract would worth money, term and trade restrictions in itself as well as in the context of the team's direction.
Since then it's possible / reasonable that Gorton reassessed the situation as he had suggested would happen when he made this statement in offseason. Hayes' performance this season is making his original contract demands a lot more reasonable, maybe there's a wiggle room in terms of a limited NTC, and maybe the front office is also not as set that Chytil and Andersson's will be centers going forward as before.

What I'm saying is that the Rangers are likely still to proceed with their plans to trade Hayes but this decision is not as clear cut as it was in the summer and I would not be surprised if there's a change of heart.

Reactions: bobbop and NY Lito

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
many scenarios can play out with hayes. and i agree that cool or boston and buff seem to be the likely destinations. all 3 look to go deep and all 3 need help in the middle and all 3 have an established true 1C now.

an injury would ruin his trade value or at the very least, lessen it to the point where now were 50/50 on moving him. the return needs to be a home run with 13 or you have to look to retain.

his continued excellent play is a 2 edged sword as well. you remove him and his production from this lineup- even with some additional adds, and were probably no better off or worse for awhile.

i would refer you to the mcd27 situation last year. good move at the time- it seemed, but now we are gutted on defense and are looking to replace 27 and that hole in this defense is killing this team. i dont see a true 1st pair guy in the system thats close. do you ?

if 13 plays well and his value increases the return, even with his better production, will be that of a 2C going to an already strong team a few players away not looking for him to be a 1 or even a 2 so the return will reflect that. 13 will slot into a team looking to win as a 3 or a 2c. the return will reflect that and thats where we need to be realistic. mid/low 1st and a decent player coming back.

is that enough ? the return for 13 will not be what those here expect.

if we move zuc for a low 1st and 13 for a mid 1st and a B prospect ? is that enough ?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
That's my worry the more and more we wait until the deadline unless we get some fraud playoff team (a team that aspires to make the playoffs every year but in reality sucks) like carolina or Arizona to pony up their first we are gonna get a pick like we got from boston or Tampa (22-31 range). That is just not enough for someone like Hayes. Gorton has his work cut out for him. I feel a fair first rounder would be in the 8-14 range for Hayes but those probably won't be the teams asking for him.
Now if we get a pick from colorado plus a guy like Kaut then that would be fair but I don't want no middle to lower tier prospect and a pick in the mid 20's.

I actually think it's a likelier situation that this hypothetical 1st round pick is a late teen than mid- or late-20s. The true contenders are probably already set with their depth down the middle (or better set than those 5-8 playoff teams), and therefore will be stingier is their in terms of what they would be willing to pay for Hayes.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
not convinced we can get the haul for hayes that people think we can. don't get me wrong, he's great and he's been our best player hands down this season, but he is a UFA and i see him getting a stastny esque return, which is it really worth it instead of keeping him?

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
zucc should be able to get a 1st, but i'd much rather keep him
hayes will get a first and a prospect for sure, but i'd still rather keep him too... although not sure how centers work out with zib, hayes, chytil, howden and andersson

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The only reason to keep Hayes would be because JG is trying to keep this team as decent as they are... which shouldn’t even be a thought at this time.

If anything his play this season has made that already steep price tag increase... by $ or term... but it’s also increased his value league wide.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
There is an argument to be made for Hayes staying but there is not one for zuccarello.

Rather keep him for what? To pay him more on his next deal just to watch him decline even further? He’s been like our 7th or 8th best forward this year.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
not convinced we can get the haul for hayes that people think we can. don't get me wrong, he's great and he's been our best player hands down this season, but he is a UFA and i see him getting a stastny esque return, which is it really worth it instead of keeping him?
Can't disagree with anything you said. He's been one of my favorite Rangers over last 3 years. He's proved many people wrong.
If it was the 2018 nhl draft we basically get a Bokk and an Erik Foley type prospect (believe he's been hurt this season so hard to say how good of a prospect he will be).
I think some would take the deal because with hayes we are probably 3-5 spots lower in draft position. Without him we are obviously gonna draft higher.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
There is an argument to be made for Hayes staying but there is not one for zuccarello.

Rather keep him for what? To pay him more on his next deal just to watch him decline even further? He’s been like our 7th or 8th best forward this year.

Zucc can still be effective somewhere else but he doesn't fit the plan here for 2-3 year get back to playoff/be competitive plan (hopefully). Obviously Hayes can fit our rebuilding plan but if JG gets a haul for him plus it bumps up our draft positioning its probably a win win as even as hard it would be to see him go.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008

I agree. The ship has sailed with Pukearello. Oh and I claim the copyright to that nickname:sarcasm:

Reactions: Winston2018
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad