Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I would make every trade Bern proposes.

If I was the GM of the other team.
There is no accounting for taste.
And btw all kidding aside, I have an extensive track record that is more correct than not; e.g., keeping Kreider, selling Buch not at the last minute, avoiding rental debacles, etc. etc. etc.

Go there and you would wind up behind, not ahead
bion

I don’t see Bern’s posts. Saves brain cells
Actually the opposite.
Being open to being challenged = provokes, not atrophies, brain activity.

But hey, your call, you do you.

Ditto for lines construction.
If I was the head coach of the other team.

Finally cut that cord too a few months ago - but now have to read all the replies. What’s the point - it won’t do anything to prevent another crazy one the very next day.
Your loss,
but again, hey, free country, and you do you --- too.

Ever taken that magic elevator to the top floor "on Top of The Rock"? That was quite the experience. It took like 4 seconds to the top....I had a private lunch in the basement with The Boss too in his private little restaurant there. Crab cakes. Wonderful time. LGR
I sometimes live vicariously through my friends.
Happy you enjoyed it, life has enuf shit to deal with, glad you experienced a memorable pleasure.

Cue Homer Simpson impression;
UUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnhhhhhhh
crab cakes
crabs cakes
crab cakes

When’s the last time there was a 10 player trade in the NHL?
Typically larger packages broken up into smaller ones to make cap fit easier

In the Matthews hypothetical, which again never gonna happen b'c zib won't waive any time soon, NY getting huge cap relief is part of it, and TOR goes there b'c it is spread over 4 players, so it can restructure.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern trade proposals are some of the most entertaining things this place has to offer.

Ya’ll are trippin.

First class. I love em. They are crazy, but they are fun.

Give me a 4 team swap involving 25 players,19 draft picks and future front office considerations all day any day

I thank you all
bern's gotta buckle down for next 2-3 wks min, and I barely will have time for Rs, let alone even short comments here at HF

But cue up Sally Field acceptance speech:
this means you like me!
you really, really like me!!!

lgr

Reactions: MrAlmost

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Why stop there Bern?
Once we get Matthews for trading 5 starters our best prospect and 2 1sts (which would be like 35-40mill of cap going out)
Why don’t we extend the window further????
Let’s turn around and trade Matthews and Fox for 9 1st Rd picks each…..
That’s outside the box thinking, the salary cap is real, I will be proven right in the long run etc etc etc

There are trades and targets that are realistic, and there are trades/targets that are fantasy….
1 is worth having a discussion about, and the other is medication time like in 1 flew over the cuckoos nest

The whole point of talking about Kakko possibly being moved is he’s stuck in a position in NY where he’s overqualified.

he won’t get top 6 min/special teams time here so in all likelihood he would only want to sign a 1-2year deal here and bounce to get that opportunity elsewhere in order to play more and a chance to be paid a lot more.

Even with the fantastical trade you have above, you still have Kakko on 3rd line and Rempe and Edstrom in the top 6 smh…..
I’m sure that would reinforce his interest to sign long term here……
There’s honestly no use going back and fourth anymore….
There’s going to be players that are foundational pieces due to economics/contract length/cap and a myriad of other reasons.
Other teams will have the same thing.
Moving laf ( NYR first 1OA pick in almost a century) just when he’s turning into the player almost all of us envisioned him to be when he was drafted is absolutely bonkers.
As good as a player Reinbacher may become, it would be a PR nightmare.
Montreal is also again, not trading a guy they took in the top 5 while they are rebuilding…. Teams do not do that…..
Once in a blue moon, there is a lindros/cutter gauthier situation that happens, but that is not the norm.

Again this is not debating “outside the box” thinking. It’s non-realistic fantastical situations that rarely if ever occur since this sport became the NHL

I guess you should be chided over me cause of time. I’d rather not waste it debating things that have less then a .00001% chance of happening as opposed to things that possibly and likely could.
This is by no means saying you can’t do what you do with your sensational ideas/proposals
It’s me. We’ve both been around here for years and I should know better than going down this rabbit hole.
That’s all my response was saying

I laughed so f***ing hard the entire way through this 😂

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It seems likely. Should have done it earlier in the season if they wanted to be less obvious about it, but a bonus based on 82 games played shouldn't be considered a guarantee, regardless.

Maybe they told him they'd make it up to him in his next contract.
I’d assume that’s exactly what happened. Rangers are many things but I think they’ll do right by Cuylle.

Reactions: noncents

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
I look at the way we play and the composition of our lines… and I stand by my conclusion at the time we did it: adding Trochek is the best move we’ve made in a decade.

I remember some folks on here being upset at the deal. I was ecstatic. Think they were concerned about term?

Reactions: Kendo

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
I look at the way we play and the composition of our lines… and I stand by my conclusion at the time we did it: adding Trochek is the best move we’ve made in a decade.
It's amazing when you think back and then compare him to Ryan Strome. Not to knock Stromer, he's a leader and a great guy and has some offensive skill. But Trochek is literally the best at EVERYTHING strome sucks at. Troch wins draws, is insanely consistent and buries his chances. The upgrade is immeasurable.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
It's amazing when you think back and then compare him to Ryan Strome. Not to knock Stromer, he's a leader and a great guy and has some offensive skill. But Trochek is literally the best at EVERYTHING strome sucks at. Troch wins draws, is insanely consistent and buries his chances. The upgrade is immeasurable.

People, many people, were bitching about his contract at the time and I thought they were nuts. The guy is everything you want in a 2C. Everything.

Same people that wanted to buyout Goodrow who is showing right now exactly why Drury paid him what he did. Doesn't look great after a less than stellar regular season but he's looking like a genius right now.

Reactions: deathb4disco

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
After we beat the Canes in 2022, I was saying "God I want Trocheck over Strome if possible." Solid 2-way guy, great on FO's, pain in the ass...basically everything you would want in a 3C, but more offense than your usual 3rd liner.

Yeah. Referencing the above, Strome is missing everything you want in a 3C, but he at least generates some offense. Trocheck has a little bit better offense, plus all that meat and potatoes to go along with it. He's an absolute linchpin.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I remember some folks on here being upset at the deal. I was ecstatic. Think they were concerned about term?
Some people(not many) were hung up on term and weren't seeing the big picture. It was always a great signing at less than 6mil per. Can you imagine this team being without Trocheck and Chytil the last 6 months? I never understood why people would be upset about solid depth down the middle which is a must for a team with cup aspirations.

Goodrow still f***ing stinks, no one should be defending him
Wrong. I will defend him when he does good things and helps them win playoff games.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Some people(not many) were hung up on term and weren't seeing the big picture. It was always a great signing at less than 6mil per. Can you imagine this team being without Trocheck and Chytil the last 6 months? I never understood why people would be upset about solid depth down the middle which is a must for a team with cup aspirations.

Wrong. I will defend him when he does good things and helps them win playoff games.
I think the concern with the Trocheck signing was both term, and also that gallant wouldn’t let Chytil get 2c.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00