Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVIII: At part 58, I am out of titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think we do. I dont believe we are a playoff team this year even if we keep everyone. I dont mind trading krieder for a 1st and a prospect or a 2nd and a very good prospect. I dont want krieder for the money he will command and the years. Anders Lee type deal? No thanks especially for a player who disappears in game and for long stretches of the season.

And trading names for a 3rd is more than okay with me. I'm sure we could get more at the deadline if he shows up on a top line but it's a cap casualty. There's are cap space we need and are good for this year. We co tinue to draft in the lottery this coming season. Get another stud forward and the rebuild becomes even better. I dont want to half ass this rebuild and rush it. We are year 1 of the rebuild and Rome wasn't built in a day

Which team is giving us a 1st and a prospect for Kreider without retention or sending a contract back? Which team is trading for Names without us retaining or taking a contract back? That's the part I don't think you are getting. It's very easy to say that we will trade them, but it's a lot harder to actually do.

What if we can't get fair value for Kreider? Do we trade him for less just to clear the cap space? Do we retain or take back a contract so we get a better return? What if we can't find a team to take Names unless we retain half?

Put yourself in the shoes of other GMs. Why would you pay fair value for Kreider or Names right now AND take their full cap hit? You know the Rangers need to clear cap space to sign their RFAs, so of course you are going to use that as leverage against Gorton.

With each day that passes, it becomes more and more likely that we will buy someone out.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The Atlantic division is going to be murder for the next couple years. We very well may see both wild cards come from that division next season.

I expect Boston to take a step back, but they'll still be good and make the playoffs.

Tampa's window is still open as long as they can keep all of their franchise guys. I expect Point to be signed and guys on ELC's to replace Stralman and Girardi. They're really not losing much even with trading Miller for cap relief.

Toronto is going for it. They upgraded their defense a bit with Barrie. They'll have to deal Nylander to fit Barrie in long term. This is their year to make a push. To be fair, they took a red hot Boston squad to Game 7. I'd be surprised if they don't win a round unless they run into Tampa or Boston again in the first round. Has Jake Gardiner signed anywhere yet?

Buffalo got a lot better this offseason. Dahlin another year wiser. Question for them is goaltending. They upgraded their defense. They can definitely be a wild card team if they stay healthy.

Montreal also got better. They're a natural fot for Gardiner if he's interested in playing there. I think they'll make the playoffs.

It's between Montreal, Buffalo, Carolina, NYI, Philly, NJ, Columbus, and us for two wild card spots.

I don't see the Rangers making the playoffs with how strong the Atlantic division is.

Washington and Pittsburgh are mortal locks for spots from the Metro. It's going to be a dog fight for 3rd. Every single other team in the division could potentially take that 3rd spot.

Carolina should be as good as they were l in st season. They made improvements.

Columbus got worse but Tortorella will still have them in it. Goaltending is a massive question for them.

Philly is going to be better.

NYI will ****house their way with Trotz to be in contention.

Devils got better but I don't think they're a playoff team...yet. Schneider hit a wall big time. They'll live and die by him.

Rangers also massively improved this summer and have tons of young talent invading starting this year.

I predict a 5th or 6th place finish for the Rangers in the division. About 20th to 25th overall. Still in lottery pick range.

Starting in 2020-21, I think you have this lineup, and they'll make the playoffs:

Chytil-Zibanejad-Kakko
Panarin-Howden-Kravtsov
Lemieux-Andersson-Buchnevich
4th line, no idea

Skjei-Trouba
Miller-DeAngelo
Staal-Fox
Shattenkirk if not bought out
Rykov
Hajek

Lundqvist
Georgiev
Shestyorkin

Between now and 2021 playoffs, I think Gorton makes a trade for a 2nd line center using a LHD as bait. Skjei could be that guy if Hajek or Rykov prove ready for top 4 duty. I think K'Andre the Giant is a top 4 guy from the get go after another year at Wisconsin. We'll still be saddled by Staal but his contract is up the following year. Think Reunanen may be on the team in place of Staal to start 21-22.

Long term, the lack of forward depth worries me. I think Gropp and Gettinger will be given every opportunity to win a spot this year and next for the 4th line. Does a guy like Fontaine step up and give the Rangers a cheap 4C? I see 2C and bottom six forward depth as the biggest weaknesses and needs in the system as of now.

I think Henriksson needs at least 2 or 3 more years in Sweden to marinate. I wouldn't count on him coming over until 2022.
I do not trust Buffalo, especially in that division. Even if I squint I can barely argue that they’re the fifth best team in the division. Their talent level drops off severely after Eichel, Dahlin, and Skinner. Reinhart is a nice player but he’s the ultimate “complimentary” piece. He’s like Stepan at wing. Risto? He’s just not very good. But ya, aside from those guys their roster is a pile of meh and question marks. I like the Miller pick up, though.

I really like what Montreal has been doing the last two years, they’re low on top tier talent but they’re really deep, and I expect Price to have a good season. I think they’re a playoff team. Florida has the roster to challenge for the division honestly, I dot expect that but I’d be shocked if they’re not solidly a playoff team next year.

As for the metro, I can’t consider Pittsburgh a lock at all. They got worse. And I’ll be the first to shout “they have Crosby and Malkin!”, but I really wonder about Malkin moving forward. Crosby is still hockey jesus but I think Malkin has gradually declined, I could see him having a rough or injury filled season next year. Oh, and their defense employs both Jack Johnson and Erik Gudbranson. I think they’ll be in it, but I think they’re a wild card level team.

I think Washington will probably be a playoff team, but I could see them going the way of LA.

Columbus is interesting to me, because I have a hard time seeing a team with a blueline that good missing the playoffs. Werenski and Jones are absolutely phenomenal, and the rest of the guys like Savard, Nuitivara, Murray (when he’s healthy) fill it out nicely. And they may lack game breaking talent up front but they’re still fairly deep IMO. Then again Torts has been there for a while, he’s due to get fired any minute now really. I could see them having an awful start to the year and finishing like 5th in the division after firing Torts.

Islanders will suck. They were that “anomaly” team last year that will come back to earth, like the Avs that one season with Roy.

I agree on Carolina and Philly. I think they’re both very strong teams.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
To me this kid is veni, vidi, vici. He is 100%ly top-6 from the get-go.
Said the Sharks when they drafted Pat Fallon.

Said the Lighting when they drafted Svitov.

Said Atlanta when they drafted Patrick Stefan.

Said the Senators when they drafted Daigle.

Said Minnesota when they drafted Brian Lawton.

Said the Rangers when they drafted Pavel Brendle.

Said the Columbus when they drafted Pat Filatov.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

:facepalm:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Yea the Smith buyout wouldnt be the end of the world I just see it as pointless. It does help this year but keep having millions on the cap for the next 4 years just to save money this year when we have other avenues available to us is mind boggling. I dont get the obsession with doing this. I know people think he is pointless to have on the team and while I agree to some point. He showed he can step in and play as a winger or defender. We have no idea if hajek, lindgren, or fox are ready to step in and play. They combined 10 games between them. .et them earn their spot and there is nothing wrong with having Smith and or Staal being able to come in and play if they cant handle it. Which this season I think is fine since we are not even a playoff bubble team yet.

But yes I'm in total agreement I trust the rangers brass now with jd and gorton fully at the helm.
Some of the other avenues you talk about — like someone taking Namestnikov’s whole contract with nothing coming back — aren’t viable.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

I mean this is pretty apples and oranges.

Of course picks could bust, but you are comparing top draft picks from several years ago. Decades ago.

Different era.

The access to information, data, video is way more prevalent than it was then. Even more so than when Jessiman was drafted and of course he wasn’t a #1 or #2 pick. Its just significantly different.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Which team is giving us a 1st and a prospect for Kreider without retention or sending a contract back? Which team is trading for Names without us retaining or taking a contract back? That's the part I don't think you are getting. It's very easy to say that we will trade them, but it's a lot harder to actually do.

What if we can't get fair value for Kreider? Do we trade him for less just to clear the cap space? Do we retain or take back a contract so we get a better return? What if we can't find a team to take Names unless we retain half?

Put yourself in the shoes of other GMs. Why would you pay fair value for Kreider or Names right now AND take their full cap hit? You know the Rangers need to clear cap space to sign their RFAs, so of course you are going to use that as leverage against Gorton.

With each day that passes, it becomes more and more likely that we will buy someone out.

If buying out Smith is the cost of being able to leverage a proper deal for Kreider, I'm ok with that as well.

Reactions: bobbop and dapowl

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Ok. I'll revise my thought process to think that Kakko is going to be the worst 1/2 overall pick his rookie year in the last ten years then. Thanks for enlightening me.

I’m saying you should revise your thought process to include that possibility, not to think just that.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

Put yourself in the shoes of other GMs. Why would you pay fair value for Kreider or Names right now AND take their full cap hit? ]You know the Rangers need to clear cap space to sign their RFAs, so of course you are going to use that as leverage against Gorton.

Perhaps the Rangers should not have put themselves in that position.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Perhaps the Rangers should not have put themselves in that position.

I'll buy out Chris Kreider for literally nothing before I'd suggest that keeping him or getting market value for him is better than having Panarin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad