Speculation: Roster Building Thread IV (2021 Offseason) - Bob Dylan turns 80 & "The times they are a changing!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Protect 1 in expansion

Blackwell
Gauthier
Rooney
Howden

go !
This is a ridiculously easy question for me. It’s Gauthier with absolutely zero hesitation.

Rooney is a nice 4C, but not a great one. Blackwell is a spare part that had a good time shooting last year. Howden is, uh, something.

The only player on this list with the potential to turn into something that is hard to replace is Gauthier. Easy, easy hold and play for me. Easy.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
I don’t understand getting Eichel tho. We will most likely be trading Chytil so we’ll be running what?
Eichel
Zib
Strome
Barron

that’s 3 centers that are average to below average defensively. That’s not going to help this team take the next step.

Reactions: Dijock94

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I don’t understand getting Eichel tho. We will most likely be trading Chytil so we’ll be running what?
Eichel
Zib
Strome
Barron

that’s 3 centers that are average to below average defensively. That’s not going to help this team take the next step.

I presume Eichel replaces one of the middle two, not in addition to.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Eichel
Zib
Strome
Barron

Strome would be gone for sure if Eichel was acquired.

Barron isn't a center yet.

Solid defensive centers aren't always hard to find. I think we may have one lurking in the shadows in Justin Richards

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Needs to happen prior to the draft in order to deal with the injury for whatever team gets him.

With all this nonsense going on, at this point my best offer would be Chytil, Jones, #15, Conditional 2nd 2022

no on Chytil

I'll need retention to consider any Eichel trade at this point. I would not risk 10 million in cap space with his injury hanging over it. If they cover 2-2.5 million it may be closer to worth the gamble...rolling the dice at 7.5 is a lot easier to take than at 10.
yes on retain
pay them to retain/we keep Chytil

I still recommend strong no on Eich, would prefer futures, but if ya must, then:

Buch + Strome at half + Jones + Geo at half + Howden + two 2021 3rds
for
Eich at half

they won't go there and that is fine w/me

Reactions: deathb4disco

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Eichel
Zib
Strome
Barron

Eichel is a Top 10 center, Zibanejad is a Top 12-15 center. There are what, two or three teams that have two 1A Centers of that caliber? Strome would be one of the better offensive 3Cs in the league, but he's also easily replaceable if we needed to go out and get a defensive 40+ pt Center who can win faceoffs.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Seeing the Islanders' system and how good of a coach Barry Trotz...we need to hire Gallant. We can't afford to roll the dice on Tocchet. It needs to be a proven coach with recent success like Gallant...assuming Rod the Bod or Quenneville don't shake loose.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Qualifying them isn't enough. They really have to sign an extension prior to the expansion draft for them to be eligible for one of the 2 requirement slots.

I don't see it happening so Seattle gets their pick between Rooney, Blackwell, Bitetto, Kinkaid and 1 of Gauthier/Howden.

Say what you want about Gorton but he guided this team through 2 expansion drafts with minimal damage compared to other teams

Gorton did lead them through the expansion drafts but was it more a matter of good planning, poor depth, or a little column A and a little column B?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Eichel
Zib
Strome
Barron

Strome would absolutely be traded for either futures or something like a Gaborik trade where the Rangers get some decent players who can help change the dimension of the team. Then the Rangers would probably find two defensive centers (or Chytil playing 3C, and then one defensive center.

If the Rangers were to acquire a top 6 center, would we rather futures for Strome or players who play a different style of game (someone like Kassian, etc)

Last edited:

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Kravtsov isn't ready for the top-six.

likely not next season, but at some point he has to get a shot there and if we sign Buchnevich then one of Kakko/Krav likely would be on the 3rd line, which isnt a horrible thing but can they get the minutes/linemates to reach their ceiling.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Eichel
Zib
Strome
Barron

Strome wouldnt be here with Eichel

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
With Panarin, Zib, Eichel, Fox, Trouba and Kreider the Rangers would look like Toronto 2.0 very quickly. Top heavy with scrubs filling in to make the cap.
If you get Eichel it’s to replace Zibby. I don’t get why ppl keep confusing it. You can keep Eichel and Zib for this upcoming season that is it. After next season they will both be making about 10 mill a year. Getting Eichel means Zibby is gone at the deadline or walks via UFA at the end of the season.
Also, the rangers would be in the same position next off season looking for a 2C. Chytil would 99% be in the trade package that would bring Eichel to NY so he’s not even an option anymore

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
If we trade for Eichel. How do we afford to sign our younger guys?

It shouldn't be an issue. In a scenario where thr Rangers trade for Eichel, I don't see the Rangers keeping Zib. Definitely possible but to me it doesn't see likely. If the Rangers didn't trade for Eichel and kept Zib, the salary difference would only be around $1.5MM (Eichel makes $10MM, Zib will likely get $8.5MM). That wouldn't break the bank in resigning the younger players.

Also unless Kakko had a massive year, he isn't in line for a massive 2nd contract. Rangers shod try to lock Fox up at 8x$8 this summer.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Re: Buchnevich... last I knew, arbitration usually awards 1-2 year... now $60 he re-signs.

Rangers have some tough decisions to make.. Buchnevich the last 4 years
.58 PPG
.59 PPG
.67 PPG
.88 PPG

However, its a cap world, and we have Kakko and Kravtsov who are very high draft picks and high ceilings.

Whichever side chooses arbitration, the other side gets to choose whether the award will be 1 or 2 years. That choice has to be made before the hearing begins, so they can't wait to find out how much the player is getting, then decide on the number of years. In Buchnevich's case, since he only has 1 RFA year left, the award can only be for 1 year.

The Rangers could sign him long term and decide at a later date whether or not to trade him. That would be made easier if he is willing to sign without an NMC. If he won't sign without an NMC, we could still sign him and then trade him before the NMC kicks in on July 1st, 2022.

We can afford to re-sign Buchnevich unless we add significant cap elsewhere, but at some point he will likely become expendable. If the right deal is there, make it. If not, re-sign him and wait until the right deal comes along, or we have to move him for cap/NMC purposes.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Whichever side chooses arbitration, the other side gets to choose whether the award will be 1 or 2 years. That choice has to be made before the hearing begins, so they can't wait to find out how much the player is getting, then decide on the number of years. In Buchnevich's case, since he only has 1 RFA year left, the award can only be for 1 year.

The Rangers could sign him long term and decide at a later date whether or not to trade him. That would be made easier if he is willing to sign without an NMC. If he won't sign without an NMC, we could still sign him and then trade him before the NMC kicks in on July 1st, 2022.

We can afford to re-sign Buchnevich unless we add significant cap elsewhere, but at some point he will likely become expendable. If the right deal is there, make it. If not, re-sign him and wait until the right deal comes along, or we have to move him for cap/NMC purposes.

3-4 year deal with a limited no trade clause would be ideal. 10-15 team no trade list.

Reactions: jay from jersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad