Speculation: Roster Building/Rumor Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Free agency begins on Wednesday at noon, right? Aside from signings and possible trades (Strome? Georgiev?), I would imagine we hire our final assistant (Tocchet?) this week as well.

mti79

May 11, 2007
I know they don't happen but would it be worth it to try and offer sheet Petterson? Could be the #2 center we're looking for and provide insurance if we don't bring back zibby

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I suspect Drury is working on a Strome trade. Hoping he gets better value than the Buch one.

I would imagine if we retain half of his salary this year we could get a decent return from a contender.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I know they don't happen but would it be worth it to try and offer sheet Petterson? Could be the #2 center we're looking for and provide insurance if we don't bring back zibby

Well he'd be the #1 center even with Zibby here, and I think the Nucks would match just about any offer.

RFAs around the league are all getting UFA level contracts for some reason, so I don't think we'll be able to chase any RFAs away.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I was just speculating the same thing to a couple of friends. Agree that it is highly unlikely simply due to the way most NHL GMs operate (and we have no idea if Pettersson would want to leave), but worth considering.

Eichel's cap hit is $10MM. Compensation for a $10.25MM offer sheet is 2 first round picks, 1 second, and 1 third. If you raise it to $10.29MM, it becomes 4 first round picks. I'm almost certain Benning would match the first, but there's at least a small chance he might consider 4 picks with his cap situation. Another option is to call him, tell him you're about to submit the offer sheet, and give him a chance to first negotiate a more reasonable deal than what Adams is demanding, thus providing him with players and prospects instead of/in addition to future picks.

Again, I doubt it'll happen – especially if Sather is now more involved again, given his past stance on offer sheets – but worth considering.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I suspect Drury is working on a Strome trade. Hoping he gets better value than the Buch one.

I honestly don’t care what we get for Strome. It’s a new world clearing cap space for future moves is just as valuable as player assets these days.

but I’ve said it before never have I seen a center that puts up the points that Strome does have so little value around the league including with his own team. But as we know you aren’t winning with Ryan Strome in the middle of your lineup.

Reactions: bleedblue94

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If I’m Drury I go get Dvorak ASAP. He’s very cheap for the next 4 seasons. Is only 25 years old, very good 200 ft center, and has untapped offensive potential. Because of that, the price for him wouldn’t be thru the roof. Having him and Chytil as 2-3 options gives us a little more insulation against Zibbys outrageous demands.
You get DVO fast, and keep working the phones for Eichel and hopefully Adams comes down a bit and you can meet somewhere in the middle. At that point if we get him, Zibby will surely waive to go to a Vegas contender type team with the intentions on them resigning him.
A spine of
Eichel
Dvorak
Chytil
Or
Eichel
Dvorak
Goodrow/Barron. If chytil is a part of the Eichel package.

is absolutely fine with me for the next 5 seasons.
Even if Zibby stays on a ok contract,
Zibanejad
Dvorak
Chytil
Is far better then having strome there. If chytil erupts and takes over 2C duties, Dvorak becomes an elite 3C on a very manageable contract

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Entirely pointless to offer sheet Pettersson. Anything less than the top tier will just be matched and I would not give up 4 unprotected firsts for the rights to overpay him either.

Reactions: Ail and nsvoyageurs

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Entirely pointless to offer sheet Pettersson. Anything less than the top tier will just be matched and I would not give up 4 unprotected firsts for the rights to overpay him either.
Absolutely a fair stance.

Push comes to shove, I think I personally would give up the four picks.

Then, I'd turn right around and monetize the pieces we've been offering for Eichel to replenish some/all of those picks.

(But as I say, I think it's highly unlikely, anyway. Just spitballing while we wait to see what happens.)

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I’m trying hard not to overreact about the news about Panarin being “livid”. I love the player on the ice, but too much front office stuff seems to run through him.

I’m not convinced we win the Cup with him getting paid the way he does and driving decision making the way he does. He’ll continue to contend for the Art Ross but I’m not sure that we’re going to win a lot of games.

I dunno. Like I said, probably over reacting.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
What would you rather have;

Eichel + Mika trade return ( I'm guessing top prospect+)

Mika + Chytil, Lundkvist/Kravtsov+ ( alleged Eichel package)

IF Eichel is traded for, I don't think you can give up Chytil. This is one of the problem with acquiring Eichel. It creates a lot of moving parts.

or you rely on the Mika trade to get you a young 2c. But who is trading a good NHL ready Center for Mika?

Reactions: BobSantos

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I’m trying hard not to overreact about the news about Panarin being “livid”. I love the player on the ice, but too much front office stuff seems to run through him.

I’m not convinced we win the Cup with him getting paid the way he does and driving decision making the way he does. He’ll continue to contend for the Art Ross but I’m not sure that we’re going to win a lot of games.

I still haven't seen this written anywhere.

I'd imagine he's not happy, but at the end of the day, he needs to be professional about it. A job is a job. You can hang out with your friends on your off time, just like us average schlubs do.

Reactions: egelband

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

wait what?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

I'd imagine he's not happy, but at the end of the day, he needs to be professional about it. A job is a job. You can hang out with your friends on your off time, just like us average schlubs do.

One of these cryptic quotes Carp has been throwing out recently that is ultimately lacking in much substance:

First, a source told The Athletic that Artemi Panarin and Igor Shesterkin are “livid” about the Buchnevich trade. It’s tough to imagine there aren’t at least a few other players who feel the same way.

Reactions: Avery16

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

This is ridiculous. So he’s upset. Who cares. He’ll live and count his millions. You don’t see him demanding the rangers trade for bobrovsky, they hang together all the time in the offseason
Panarin being “ livid” about Buch is a total non issue. You don’t see them surrendering their pay to accommodate his contract do you?

mans if he feels that strongly about it, he can waive any time he wants and we’ll get a truck load of assets for him and almost 12 mill cap space back

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
My question is how much is it panarin being livid about the trade because of the same reason we all were, like blais + 2 for buch vs panarin being upset buch is gone.
Everything ive heard says panarin is well aware this is a business and is professional about these things. I think he wants to win, and may have thought the trade sets us back.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
What would you rather have;

Eichel + Mika trade return ( I'm guessing top prospect+)

Mika + Chytil, Lundkvist/Kravtsov+ ( alleged Eichel package)

IF Eichel is traded for, I don't think you can give up Chytil. This is one of the problem with acquiring Eichel. It creates a lot of moving parts.

or you rely on the Mika trade to get you a young 2c. But who is trading a good NHL ready Center for Mika?

I think there is a middle ground and that is a 3 way trade with either Vegas or Minnesota.

Vegas: Zib, Jones
Buffalo: Krebs, Tuch, NYR #1, VGK #1
Rangers: Eichel, McNabb and maybe even Fluery with some retention so Vegas can make other moves for their rub.

Or

Wild: Zib
Buffalo: Rossi, Robertson, Wild #1, NYR #1
Rangers: Eichel

Reactions: mas0764

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

if he drove any decision making Buchnevich would still be here and his center of choice Strome wouldn’t be on the way out the door

he’s pissed his buddy got traded just like every other guy who’s buddy is traded

Reactions: bleedblue94

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
What scares me about all this, I could see Drury handing out 7-8 years like candy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad