Salary Cap: Roster and Cap Management Upcoming Years

FrustratedFlyer

Feb 4, 2018
Hi all,

I was just looking at our roster and possible call ups (again) and it got me thinking about possible contract extensions and cap management across say the next 3-4 years when we should ideally be challenging whilst G and Jake still have their powers.

From cap hell we've come a long long way now. This offseason we only need to sort Morin an extension and Stolie if the front office plan on giving him a further chance? Do each at say $1.5m @ 2yrs? Gives both a little term to prove themselves and not on awful money. I'd go longer term (3-4 years) and money ($2.5m) on Morin from what I've seen but I can understand if the majority wouldn't be keen. Ghost's contract is an excellent precedent for us.

19/20 is a big big year contract wise. We've got 6 RFAs and 4 UFAs to consider:

RFA - Konecny, Laughton, Vecchione, NAK, Provorov, Sanheim
UFA - Weal, Raffl, Elliott, Neuvy

Couts signing his bridge was another excellent bit of business for us much like Ghost's. With our cap situation, even if the cap doesn't increase much, we're in a good place. Let's say Konecny continues his excellent 1st line play and Sanheim has proven himself across all of 18/19:

Konecny - Couts type bridge $4.5m @ 4
Weal - small increase $2.5m @ 2
Laughton - small increase $2.5m @ 2
Raffl - 2 yr deal short term contract $2.5m in case AHL aren't ready
Vecchione & NAK - provided they do okay 18/19 then something like $1.5m @ 2?
Provorov - we have the room to do something big. I've gone $6.5m @ 4 to again emulate Couts and Ghost but we do have the luxury of doing more. $8m @ 8?
Sanheim - similar to Ghost $4.5m @ 4
Elliott - final contract $4.5m (cap room) @ 2?

That leaves Elliott able to mentor Stolie if he's come along and puts less pressure on Hart to perform miracles.

20/21 who knows where we'll be with possible expansion etc but if we can do anything similar to what I've estimated above then, with small cap increases we could be around $85m.......

Lindblom & Patrick are RFA and could get Couts type bridges again? If Frost has done well a similar deal to secure him for a little while and then it's half the D! Gudas with Morin reaching the end of his short extension and Myers possibly due a good raise. Small increase for Gudas or hopefully Friedman is ready to come up on 3rd pairing duties and both Morin and Myers get Ghost type increases. If Hart is ready Elliott is released and Stolie can challenge him or Stolie gets a larger increase for proving he's a reliable, if not spectacular starter.....

The best news though? No more AMac!

21/22 calls for replacement contracts for the bottom 6. We seem to have significant depth here in the AHL and if we've traded Simmer you'd hope his 1st round pick would be about ready to go......

What you all think of the forecast? Having waited a long time since the introduction of the salary cap for us to have decent drafted depth I'm having a hard time trying to keep myself patient for youth's arrival. Our GM and coach could yet make a complete horse's ass of all this........

Cap.png

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Anticipating a Simmonds trade?

Edit: I’m blind. I’d want to move on from Weal I like everything else.

Reactions: Striiker

FrustratedFlyer

Feb 4, 2018
Anticipating a Simmonds trade?

I may have alluded to it in many other posts already :) Don't get me wrong I really like the guy and what he brings but just think the type of game he plays, his age and what his contract demands will be ill-matched for what we want to contend in the coming years. His incumbent contract was an absolute steal for us and no doubt the guy deserves a really good deal for what will likely be his last.

With his GM perceived value I can't see him being re-upped here with what we "should" be able to command for him. I do it this year to offset any chance injuries could curtail his value next year. A contender would overpay at the deadline next year BUT we'll be losing leverage to command a high price with not long left on his deal and there is a very high risk of further injuries slowing him down. I could be badly wrong and his play stays close to what we see - wouldn't put it past Simmer given his conditioning and how he clearly looks after himself.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sarcasm? We ain't got no sarcasm! We don't need no stinkin' sarcasm!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Some of those are actually pretty generous towards the player, which is a welcome change from how these posts usually go.

Provorov likely comes in somewhere between your options given recent premium young D who didn’t take a bridge. Something in the 6 x 6ish range is roughly in line with recent history. It’s been kicked around a little before, but while it’s certainly possible they go the full 8 years, the only history we have of that happening is Ekblad. I would have to have a guy in the Dahlin mold to even consider 8 x 8.

Konecny and Sanheim stand out as guys who could swing wildly in either direction based upon usage.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I would go eight years with Provorov if possible.

Morin and Stolarz aren't getting over a million with little to no experience.

I think it is nearly 100% that Filppula is back, good chance Manning is as well. Hopefully only two years for Filppula.

There is plenty of cap room to sign a UFA. Rule of thumb should be:

1- guys you really want will be resigned with their team beforehand
2- guys you think will hit that you want will get double the term you want at an inflated cap number ie. Marleau for 3 years, Weise for 4 years
3- players that will be available for the term you want (ideally 2 years for a scoring forward), will have question marks surrounding them

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I think it is nearly 100% that Filppula is back, good chance Manning is as well. Hopefully only two years for Filppula.

2- guys you think will hit that you want will get double the term you want at an inflated cap number ie. Marleau for 3 years, Weise for 4 years
3- players that will be available for the term you want (ideally 2 years for a scoring forward), will have question marks surrounding them

Why do you hate me?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FrustratedFlyer

Feb 4, 2018
Some of those are actually pretty generous towards the player, which is a welcome change from how these posts usually go.

Provorov likely comes in somewhere between your options given recent premium young D who didn’t take a bridge. Something in the 6 x 6ish range is roughly in line with recent history. It’s been kicked around a little before, but while it’s certainly possible they go the full 8 years, the only history we have of that happening is Ekblad. I would have to have a guy in the Dahlin mold to even consider 8 x 8.

Konecny and Sanheim stand out as guys who could swing wildly in either direction based upon usage.

I've deliberately over estimated to demonstrate that even over cooking it on dollars still puts us in a good position over the next 3-4 years when you'd hope we should realistically be challenging across multiple playoff rounds.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

FrustratedFlyer

Feb 4, 2018

We have the flexibility and cap room to do Provy at 8 that is certain it all comes down to if we're truly confident he's a legit 1. I am.

I rate Morin and Stolarz but fear that the front office don't and whatever we offer will be exceeded elsewhere. Certainly couldn't blame either of them if they decided the future is elsewhere given the limited chances they've had here.

Please no Flip. Even if it's ultimately just a 3rd rounder I take that pick for him. Manning I don't have a problem with IF it's a 7. Don't see why we bother when we have Hagg who can do that.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

4. players we want shouldn't be wanted by us, given our pro scouting track record, and should be avoided at all cost.

Reactions: BillDineen

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'd retain as much salary as needed to trade them out for bags of pucks. We have the room

I'm at the point where I am so sick to death of Dale Weise - even though he hasn't been playing - that I wonder if I would rather be rid of him slightly more than Farmer Andy, which is slightly ironic seeing as Dale is a horse and Andy keeps upright about as well as a newborn horse. It's not really ironic, I guess, as much as it is sad.

Reactions: FrustratedFlyer

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I am starting to think Hextall resigns Manning for two years at an inflated level so that he can pass through waivers if needed. (Sadly, the inflated level may actually be because he thinks Manning is worth it). Morin will need to be on the roster next year and Hextall didn't like carrying 8 defensemen in the past. Myers will be slow cooking the LV next year and Hextall won't want to bring him up and sit or play limited minutes. Hextall needs next year's Alt.

EDIT: You just know he is getting the Randy Jones special. 2 years at 2.5m. :cry:

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I am starting to think Hextall resigns Manning for two years at an inflated level so that he can pass through waivers if needed. (Sadly, the inflated level may actually be because he thinks Manning is worth it). Morin will need to be on the roster next year and Hextall didn't like carrying 8 defensemen in the past. Myers will be slow cooking the LV next year and Hextall won't want to bring him up and sit or play limited minutes. Hextall needs next year's Alt.

EDIT: You just know he is getting the Randy Jones special. 2 years at 2.5m. :cry:

I'm holding onto hope that Hextall takes his toy away like he did with VandeVelde last summer.

If he is re-signed Sanheim or Morin are getting traded. I don't see how it's feasible to re-sign him. Hextall has to know he's bad and there is no room on the 23 man roster for Meatshield next season.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I doubt any of those potential UFAs in 2020 are even brought back. None of them are part of the core. Possibly just one of the goalies though

Provorov also has no reason to sign a bridge deal. Kid is going to get paid next summer

Last edited:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I'm holding onto hope that Hextall takes his toy away like he did with VandeVelde last summer.

If he is re-signed Sanheim or Morin are getting traded. I don't see how it's feasible to re-sign him. Hextall has to know he's bad and there is no room on the 23 man roster for Meatshield next season.
This is both telling and worrisome when it comes to hextall. We all clearly know what he is trying to accomplish, but the way he goes about it leaves a lot to be desired.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
With all these young d-men being about ready I doubt Hextall re-signs Manning because he has to know that Hak will be playing him over the other players.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Unless I missed someone else bringing it up, one piece that may be a monkey wrench is expansion in Seattle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad