Post-Game Talk: Roses are red, violets are blue

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
When did Zetterberg become this good at shoot outs?!?! Remember when we couldn't get a single SO win, Z was useless then and now when we'd rather lose he's killing it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why does this team choose this season to learn how to shootout?

Remember people bemoaning Datsyuk declining from shootout beast for the last several years.

Nielsen is one of the best in the discipline and Vanek is 5 for 5. If our goalie makes two saves he actually gets to go to overtime this year... We have pulled a couple of those out. But two of our free agents have been extremely good at it, AA is up full time and pretty good.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
That was a nice effort by them today. Yes the Caps were rusty, but they took advantage of them out of the gate, which was key. Nice to see Mrazek string together some nice starts.

Smith with a very solid showing as one of the UFA guys we would like to move.

Everything
in this post
is
spot on

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
When did Zetterberg become this good at shoot outs?!?! Remember when we couldn't get a single SO win, Z was useless then and now when we'd rather lose he's killing it.

He was actually quite good the first year or two after the lockout. Eventually goalies, scouts etc. caught on that he was always using the same two or three moves, and his success disappeared pretty sharply. But I guess it's been long enough and he's an infrequent enough shooter anymore that he can still be effective in spot duty.

As for Datsyuk, I think it's pretty clear that he stopped trying after a while. He had Nielsen-esque numbers (right around 50% career over lots of attempts) before he seemed to give up on it. He stopped digging into his bag of tricks and started using that half-assed backhand move all the time. I'd be surprised if he scored on even a third of his attempts after that.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He was actually quite good the first year or two after the lockout. Eventually goalies, scouts etc. caught on that he was always using the same two or three moves, and his success disappeared pretty sharply. But I guess it's been long enough and he's an infrequent enough shooter anymore that he can still be effective in spot duty.

As for Datsyuk, I think it's pretty clear that he stopped trying after a while. He had Nielsen-esque numbers (right around 50% career over lots of attempts) before he seemed to give up on it. He stopped digging into his bag of tricks and started using that half-assed backhand move all the time. I'd be surprised if he scored on even a third of his attempts after that.

Yep. Sucks he stopped caring and all he did was a backhander. That's how you know the NHL has to stop or needs less frequent shootouts when Russians get bored

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Wow Petr really bailed us out on this one. And at a *few* moments throughout the game some of our lines actually looked like a decent hockey line. Making passes, getting good chances, puck possession. Was weird to see. So unfamiliar.

Smith led TOI? I mean with Green sick, E out forever, Kronwall with one leg, who else would it have been? XO? Jenson? Sproul!??! Maybe DK but that's about the only competition Smith would have had.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Nice to see them win again. Still too little too late. Hoping my other eastern teams will get in at least so I have someone to cheer for. Never experienced a playoffs without the Wings in it :(

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Nice to see them win again. Still too little too late. Hoping my other eastern teams will get in at least so I have someone to cheer for. Never experienced a playoffs without the Wings in it :(
Agree and now we are left with a bunch of what ifs. What if mantha was up instead of helm. What if we didn't have sheham on the power play early on. Or sit sheham for AA.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Hank is such a g, I would love to see him on a contender in a complimentary role - he deserves better.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Hank is such a g, I would love to see him on a contender in a complimentary role - he deserves better.

Was just thinking this the other day. Z would be such a beast as a complimentary Winger on a top 6 line or a #3 center getting easier matchups playing 16 minutes a night with a lot of PP time. Guess we'll just have to wait a couple years for him to be that guy in Detroit :sarcasm:

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Z is too stubborn. He loves the big minutes. He loves playing centre. If we were to deal him anywhere, I kind of like Ottawa with Erik Karlsson. I don't see them as long-term contenders though. He's here until the end though.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Z is too stubborn. He loves the big minutes. He loves playing centre. If we were to deal him anywhere, I kind of like Ottawa with Erik Karlsson. I don't see them as long-term contenders though. He's here until the end though.

Yeah no doubt. But he'd look great on Washington I think. Could play wing with great center and could help Ovie with being a leader and 2way play.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Yeah no doubt. But he'd look great on Washington I think. Could play wing with great center and could help Ovie with being a leader and 2way play.

I think Z works well with guys that can grind in the boards with him and rotate.. guys with a one time finish, or have the speed to take the feed in their own end rushing out. He has a slow pace though. Backstrom works so well for Ovy as he can do it all. Z IMO doesn't work with Tatar as Tatar likes the puck and loves to go East to West.

Not exactly sure with Z to Washington. You have Ovy-Backs-Oshie, and then Kutz centering that second line. Couldn't see Kutz and Z finding chemistry due to above. Kutz needs the puck to be able to use his skill.

Rangers are stacked, and it seems players go there to die.

Pittsburgh has Sid-Malkin-third line which sees Kessel there a bit.

Weird, I could legit see St. Louis being a team, behind Vladdy.

Steen-Stastny-Vladdy
Schwartz-Zetterberg-Perron
Berglund-Lehtera-Yakupov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad