Prospect Info: Rory Kerins, C, 174th pick in 2020

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

I don't want to overhype too much but despite not being a fan of a few picks I think this is probably the best Flames draft class since 2016.

Bader liked our 6th rounder

Now if we take another high upside player (Pashin please) in round 7 that would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't want to overhype too much but despite not being a fan of a few picks I think this is probably the best Flames draft class since 2016.

Bader liked our 6th rounder

Now if we take another high upside player (Pashin please) in round 7 that would be great.

Is this another Mangiapane boom/bust type prospect?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Is this another Mangiapane boom/bust type prospect?

I don't know, Mangiapane was an overager with really good numbers where as this guy is young but his numbers aren't great yet. In terms of prospect profile he's probably closer to a Dube lite (not playstyle just numbers and age) but SSM was a lower scoring team (and he was 2nd on the team in scoring) and his older teammate with similar numbers went in the early 4th.

Someone on CP also said that 26 of his 30 goals came at even strength which is also impressive.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I know you had some questions about him from another thread, but thought that I'd pop by to share my report on him.

Had him ranked 35th among OHL players this year.
OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Part 2: 31-50

Thanks for this. I was reading the report and half way through I had to double check I was reading about Kerins and not Zary. Very interesting that they have seemingly quite a few similarities.

Excited to see what he can do! :)

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
With the touque, he even predicted that the Flames would take a flyer on him? Nice. :)

tenor.gif

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Kerins needs to be talked about (just a bit tho)
Probably our best prospect stats wise, with 67 points in 39 games (after 2G/1A today, including the OTG)
He spent most of last year in Stockton, but never saw the ice often. That experience should really help him next year, and I think he'll be productive in the AHL. He'll climb our prospect list for sure.

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Kerins needs to be talked about (just a bit tho)
Probably our best prospect stats wise, with 67 points in 39 games (after 2G/1A today, including the OTG)
He spent most of last year in Stockton, but never saw the ice often. That experience should really help him next year, and I think he'll be productive in the AHL. He'll climb our prospect list for sure.

Leads OHL in scoring after last night

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Still leads the OHL in scoring with 26g-47a-73pts in 42 games. 19 years old.
Have the Flames got another diamond in the rough here?

The first couple weeks there was I believe 3 Greyhounds all near the top of the standings for points, since then Kerins has 20 points up on his next teammate, so he clearly is the best player on that team (based purely on stats, I haven't watched any Greyhounds games). Like when Zavgrodiny was putting all those points up with Alexis, we all know how that turned out (Zav is pretty much a bust at this point).

You can't ask more in terms of offensive development. Hopefully he keeps up this trajectory, keep putting in the work. Mangiapane is proof you can be an impact player if you work your ass off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad