Proposal: ROR to HABS?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I mean...you can’t possibly not understand why it gets brought up.

Teams at the bottom with an atrocious room make changes to their broken core.

Aren’t moving Eichel
Can’t move Okposo

That leaves you with Reinhart who you have control over for 4 more years and you still aren’t sure which Reinhart he is yet. Ristolainen who might finally be on course to not be overused in situations he gets caved in playing. And RoR who publicly stated the team has made him lose his love for hockey, is a broken record about needing to be better while Rome burns around him and makes more money than his future position as 3C in Buffalo demands.

Say you don’t want to trade him because you want to shelter the younger Cs. But don’t pretend it’s ludicrous to being him up. There’s a reason he is brought up nationally. No one expects the Sabres to leave the core together for a fourth year and subject two of the best prospects in the world to a core that got worse every year they were together.

Someone is going to go. Tell me who you think the most likely is.
Making a trade to "shake things up" is how incredibly dumb decisions like getting rid of Taylor Hall for a mediocre defenseman happen. I really don't feel like being on the wrong end of one of those trades.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Making a trade to "shake things up" is how incredibly dumb decisions like getting rid of Taylor Hall for a mediocre defenseman happen. I really don't feel like being on the wrong end of one of those trades.

Was just about to say this.

So because the team was brutal, lets trade one of the few valuable pieces we have. Totally ignoring the fact that half the team was made up of pure trash. No thanks...

Replacing the trash with actual talent is a roster shake up too. And its the right move here.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I mean...you can’t possibly not understand why it gets brought up.

Teams at the bottom with an atrocious room make changes to their broken core.

Aren’t moving Eichel
Can’t move Okposo

That leaves you with Reinhart who you have control over for 4 more years and you still aren’t sure which Reinhart he is yet. Ristolainen who might finally be on course to not be overused in situations he gets caved in playing. And RoR who publicly stated the team has made him lose his love for hockey, is a broken record about needing to be better while Rome burns around him and makes more money than his future position as 3C in Buffalo demands.

Say you don’t want to trade him because you want to shelter the younger Cs. But don’t pretend it’s ludicrous to bring him up. There’s a reason he is brought up nationally. No one expects the Sabres to leave the core together for a fourth year and subject two of the best prospects in the world to a core that got worse every year they were together.

Someone is going to go. Tell me who you think the most likely is.

I think it’s ludicrous to want to leave this team as is while bringing in kids and shuffling the ancillary pieces around them. Letting it ride for another year is a fast ticket out of town for everyone involved in the decision making.

Botterill's core comment was made before winning the lottery. Drafting a generational defenseman changes everything.

Imagine the current core, then add McDavid. That's what's coming on defense. You'd certainly give another thought to your team.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Botterill's core comment was made before winning the lottery. Drafting a generational defenseman changes everything.

Imagine the current core, then add McDavid. That's what's coming on defense. You'd certainly give another thought to your team.
plus a few prospects signed to ELC and the Swedish defenseman of the year who is just 22

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
You are NEVER getting the 3rd overall pick for ROR! The cost control alone is too valuable.

Stop dreaming and focus on players.

I see this one as really difficult.

I'd gladly give RoR+#32 for #3. Let's see, an aging 60 point RoR or a cost controlled elite young winger in Zadina or Svechnikov. Sorry, but RoR isn't worth a top 3 pick+.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'd gladly give RoR+#32 for #3. Let's see, an aging 60 point RoR or a cost controlled elite young winger in Zadina or Svechnikov. Sorry, but RoR isn't worth a top 3 pick+.

How are you replacing ROR’s role and minutes?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
everyone is aging. You're implying he's old?

He's the 5th oldest returning player on the team, and two of the older players, Bogo and Poms, are buyout candidates / non-essential. Scandella's a year older than ROR and Okposo is the only returning Sabre besides Poms who is over 30.

I'll bet a dollar right now, barring injury which keeps him out >10 games, O'Reilly finishes next season with more NHL points than either Zadina or Svechnikov put up with MTL and/or CAR.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
How about ROR, Guhle, and Mittelstadt for Kuznetsov and Orlov?

Just kidding...keep ROR besides a large overpayment.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Canadiens unlikely to trade No. 3 pick at NHL Draft

Bergevin not looking to move 3OV.

I thought their first might have been available when it was still unsettled, could have been 5 or 6. But yeah, it's tough to acquire 3OV. When's the last time we saw a top 3 pick move? The Sedins?

Can we put that one next to his comments about how PK isn't on the market days before he traded him for Weber? Does anyone believe a word that comes out of his mouth?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Can we put that one next to his comments about how PK isn't on the market days before he traded him for Weber? Does anyone believe a word that comes out of his mouth?

Huh, didn't realize that. Well, could always be pre-negotiating, too, I guess.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Huh, didn't realize that. Well, could always be pre-negotiating, too, I guess.

Look, truth be told, I don't expect Montreal to move the pick. And I don't expect them to have the chops to make a bid on O'Reilly that "blows the doors off" Botterill. The can desire him all they want and Canadian talking heads can babble all they want about the fit for the player, but at the end of the day, it has to hurt the Habs to make the deal and Buffalo is under no obligation to do anyone a favor to make it happen.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Look, truth be told, I don't expect Montreal to move the pick. And I don't expect them to have the chops to make a bid on O'Reilly that "blows the doors off" Botterill. The can desire him all they want and Canadian talking heads can babble all they want about the fit for the player, but at the end of the day, it has to hurt the Habs to make the deal and Buffalo is under no obligation to do anyone a favor to make it happen.

Yeah, I'm in a position where all of the options seem differing degrees of unlikely. Return exactly the same core? That would be ballsy. Move their youth before they know their value? That would be dumb. Move their vets? Well, none of them have value save ROR. Move ROR? Jeez, that would take a huge return. Move nobody and return exactly the same core? That would be ballsy.

I guess when all the options seem unlikely, you have to take a credulous look at everything. Maybe we'll trade Terry for Wang, and finally get that sumo-goalie experiment of his implemented, win the cup next year in front of an impenetrable wall of blubber. I mean, we should at least entertain the notion. Trump is president and the VGK are winning in the Finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad