TV: Roots (History remake)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was surprised that there wasn't a thread until you made it. I was about to make one right now.

It concluded last night and I found it to be very good, surprisingly good, in fact. Honestly, when they were advertising it over the last few months, I rolled my eyes and was even a bit upset that they were remaking such a classic that was part of one of the biggest events in TV history. I thought that it was a bit of a shameless play for ratings. I have to say that I was wrong, though, because they did a really solid job. It's gripping and very well acted. It's Roots, just updated technically. I understand now that it might be unreasonable to expect younger generations to sit through 12 hours of 1970s TV, so perhaps this slightly shorter (8-hour), modern version will be for them what the original was for older generations.

Anyways, the important thing that I really wanted to post about is that History is re-airing the entire thing Saturday (tomorrow) afternoon and evening. Where I am, it runs from 1-9pm. If you liked the original Roots or have never seen it, but appreciate good mini-series or even modern drama series (it's kind of like binge watching a shortened season), I encourage you to record the re-airing. Speaking from my own experience, it's definitely nice to be able to say that you've seen Roots.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad