Rookies other than Bouchard that were called up too quickly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I argue that the Penguins messed up with Fleury and should have sent him down before the season started instead of keeping him around as long as they did behind that pourous defense.

Ivan Huml is another guy by the Bruins, though I don't know how good he was projected, he didn't do so well when he was up. 10 points in 49 games?

Dan Fritische shouldn't have started out on the BlueJackets and should have been sent down...

Antti Miettinen should have started out in the minors...

Fredrick Sjostrom looked like he had a rough outing in the NHL...

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Sjostrom actually was successful in the NHL. He stuck with the team all year and would very likely have been in the NHL again this year. People dont realise but his scoring per minute was comparable to Ales Hemsky who got a lot more credit.

Do you only want recent examples? Danny Briere would be a good one. Phoenix traded away Ronning to give him the No.2 centre spot and he couldnt handle it Went back to the AHL for most parts of the next 3 years.

leafaholix*

Rookies over the years in Toronto...

Tomas Kaberle
Dany Markov
Nikolai Antropov
Matthew Stajan
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Karel Pilar
Mikael Tellqvist
Carlo Colaiacovo
Jeff Farkas (debut: age 21)
Petr Svoboda (debut: age 20)
Adam Mair
Dmitri Yakushin (debut: age 21)

The Leafs have done pretty well, with a couple blunders, latest one being 4 years ago.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
DoobieDoobieDo said:
I argue that the Penguins messed up with Fleury and should have sent him down before the season started instead of keeping him around as long as they did behind that pourous defense.

That wasn't an option.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I still think the Sedins should have stayed in Sweden for at least one more year.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
imo you could argue Ales Hemsky was brought along too quickly. Oilers had to decide whether to send him back to jr at 19 or keep him up all season. They signed him and kept him. His rookie season was pretty solid, but he took a step backward in year two and lost his confidence.

Who really knows with each prospect, but there's an argument to be made that Hemsky would have been better off in Europe or in junior for his 19 year old season. That would be a good parellel for Bouchard?

FlyersFan10*

clefty said:
That wasn't an option.

Yes, there was an option. The Pens could have kept Johan Hedberg and let MA Fleury develop properly. They went on the cheap. Hedberg wasn't breaking the bank in any way, shape or form.

FlyersFan10*

Dainius Zubrus was one who was brought along too quickly. He should have spent a year in junior with the Quebec Ramparts (I think they owned his junior rights). Instead, the Flyers had him playing right away. Big mistake. I think it ruined the kid. That and being bounced around all over the place by several coaching staffs, and just what seems to be a general lack of confidence on his part as well.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Antti Miettinen should have started out in the minors

Why? He showed he could play during the preseason, and earned a spot. He wasnt just handed a spot.

Roger's Pancreas*

Justin Williams for the Philadelphia Flyers was unnecessarily rushed.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Caps have a long history under GMGM of bringing kids up too soon:

Eminger
Sutherby
Gordon
Cutta
Semin
Fussey
Ouellet

Though I believe that only Eminger, Cutta, and Sutherby were adversely affected by it. The two former being D-men and the latter being injured.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
How about Chuck Kobasew of the Flames. He just didn't seem to be able to handle it at times in the portions of the last 2 seasons where he played games and then he plays 1 full season in the AHL and he looks to be a lock as a second line winger in the NHL soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad