GDT: Rookie Scrimmages 150912 and 150913

JuniorMajeur

Oct 4, 2011
Gatineau
If possible some one of you can tell me how was Alexandre alain of the Anaheim Ducks, if you get able to see him even if it was not a Sharks prospect.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
A number of folks without confirmed "ticket" showed up and were allowed entrance (had to provide contact information).

grizcoach

Sep 21, 2009
Goldobin was best player on ice for Sharks......goal and assist off a nice move around D.

67 Arseneau throwing his weight around.

43 Pinkston with a monster check off boards right in front of fans.

51 McNally made great move for his assist

Didn't see anyone that stood out as having a good chance making the varsity except Goldobin, maybe.

Bergman, Ryan, Donskoi and Meier sat up game.....too bad

Goalie looked weak covering net at this feet

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I seriously had no idea what those numbers in the title were until a few minutes ago....

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
If possible some one of you can tell me how was Alexandre alain of the Anaheim Ducks, if you get able to see him even if it was not a Sharks prospect.

He took a penalty in the first game. He was on the 4th/3rd lines but he won A LOT of faceoffs. He also had a nice hit on the boards. That's all I remember sorry.

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
What's the upside of Rumpel and Herbst? Any promise?

Herbst didn't look good at the prospects scrimmage and apparently was pretty lousy last night. Whereas Rumpel wasn't tested a whole lot in the scrimmage (looked alright) but was fantastic on Saturday night. Plays a little deep in his crease but he's so big and still mobile. Had vision through a lot of traffic in front. I was really impressed and he clearly outclassed Ryan Faragher for the Ducks, who was awful.

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003

Only thing noteworthy I saw of Alain on Saturday night was that he got absolutely crushed on an open-ice hit.

Owen

Roster Guru
Sep 13, 2003
One tryout player that I'm curious to see more of in the main camp is Joey Ratelle. He has good hands and showed a lot of shiftiness on Saturday night. Did a good job on the PK and was at one point rewarded and bumped to the Goldobin/Meier line for a shift. Certainly not NHL-ready in the least, but looks like someone worth signing if he continues to be noticeable.

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
Donskoi wore 72 while he played for Kärpät, which obviously is 27 inverted. I believe he wore 27 in juniors.

When Donskoi played his first games for Kärpät, he wore #27 (his number). He changed it into #72, because of Juha-Pekka Haataja came back to Kärpät and took the number 27.

- Stoat

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Joakim Ryan has been a darkhorse fave of mine for a couple years now, so I'm really glad to hear he did well. I really think he could be a Torey Krug type of bottom-pairing defenseman, except maybe a little better defensively and worse offensively.

If Donskoi is that impressive, then he could have a huge impact on our depth just by being a top-9 scoring option. If he really showed he belonged in camp, then we would have the option of either playing guys like Wingels, Karlsson, and Torres on the fourth line (!!!!) or moving Hertl to 3C and Tierney down to 4C and running four scoring lines (!!!!!), and that would be huge.

A group of Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Hertl, Ward, Nieto, Tierney, Karlsson, Wingels, Donskoi, and Torres would be an absolutely sick top-12 forwards, with Smith as the 13th guy. Personally, I'd go Thornton-Couture-Hertl-Tierney down the middle.

I'm still of the opinion that Donskoi should start in the AHL so he can adjust to the NA game without the pressue of the NHL, but if he earns it I'd be stoked.

I think the best place for him will ultimately be with Marleau and Couture. That is because those two guys do not need the puck on their sticks all the time to be effective, and Donskoi is reportedly a bit of a puckhog. But to begin with, I think playing with Nieto and Tierney would go fine.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Joakim Ryan has been a darkhorse fave of mine for a couple years now, so I'm really glad to hear he did well. I really think he could be a Torey Krug type of bottom-pairing defenseman, except maybe a little better defensively and worse offensively.

If Donskoi is that impressive, then he could have a huge impact on our depth just by being a top-9 scoring option. If he really showed he belonged in camp, then we would have the option of either playing guys like Wingels, Karlsson, and Torres on the fourth line (!!!!) or moving Hertl to 3C and Tierney down to 4C and running four scoring lines (!!!!!), and that would be huge.

A group of Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Hertl, Ward, Nieto, Tierney, Karlsson, Wingels, Donskoi, and Torres would be an absolutely sick top-12 forwards, with Smith as the 13th guy. Personally, I'd go Thornton-Couture-Hertl-Tierney down the middle.

I'm still of the opinion that Donskoi should start in the AHL so he can adjust to the NA game without the pressue of the NHL, but if he earns it I'd be stoked.

I think the best place for him will ultimately be with Marleau and Couture. That is because those two guys do not need the puck on their sticks all the time to be effective, and Donskoi is reportedly a bit of a puckhog. But to begin with, I think playing with Nieto and Tierney would go fine.

If you're going with those 4 centers, I'd run Wingels-Thornton-Pavs, Marleau-Couture-Ward, Donskoi-Hertl-Torres/Karlsson, Nieto-Tierney-Karlsson/Torres

Phalanx

Apr 24, 2013
Aptos, Ca
I went to the first game and my impression coming out of it was that the Sharks have a wealth of solid young forwards in the organization. Between Donskoi, Chartier, Goldobin (who by far were the top 3 forwards on the ice in that order), and Meier (who clearly has a lot to learn but you can tell the skills are there) there is plenty of good forwards.

On the other hand, I was not entirely sold on our defense prospects. Roy was good but not great IMHO and Ryan was, well actually admittedly Ryan WAS pretty damn good. I wanted to find fault there but in the middle of the sentence I realized there wasn't really any. But anyways beyond those two I didn't see anyone really stand out to me.

All in all, at THIS stage in their development, as everyone's been saying Donskoi does seem to be our top prospect. Everytime he touched the puck, something good or productive came of it. Very good skater, great offensive AND defensive awareness (his defense was really impressive), and all around good puck skills to round out his pretty balanced game. Most importantly, the kid plays hard every shift. He gets his nose dirty and skates hard all the time.

Now I know he was playing against boys and by now he is really coming to his own, but he has all the right tools to play against better opponents.

I don't really post that often but I felt compelled to offer up my opinions since not everyone here went to the game. Pretty hyped about this Donskoi kid.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad