Rookie salary cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
According to russianprospects.com, Bryzgalov and Chistov have signed contracts with some RSL teams. So has Ovechkin and I believe that Malkin is still under contract. It has already been mentionned that NHL team owners want to severely restrict the amount of money that a prospect could get from signing a first contract. In some cases, outstanding prospects could choose to sign in other top leagues around the world and make more money there than they would coming to the NHL. Could guys like Ovechkin and Malkin decide to play in Russia instead of NA? What do you guys think could be a good salary cap for a rookie? Could a restrictive CBA mean a loss of upper end talent in the NHL?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
slumpy43 said:
According to russianprospects.com, Bryzgalov and Chistov have signed contracts with some RSL teams. So has Ovechkin and I believe that Malkin is still under contract. It has already been mentionned that NHL team owners want to severely restrict the amount of money that a prospect could get from signing a first contract. In some cases, outstanding prospects could choose to sign in other top leagues around the world and make more money there than they would coming to the NHL. Could guys like Ovechkin and Malkin decide to play in Russia instead of NA? What do you guys think could be a good salary cap for a rookie? Could a restrictive CBA mean a loss of upper end talent in the NHL?

I'm having a hard time finding the link, but last I read there is a group of owners/GMs pushing hard for provisions allowing higher rookie bonuses and other ways of compensation specifically for cases like we'll see w/Ovechkin and Malkin.

That said, I'd be surprised to see either of those two skip out on the NHL this year.

A guy I'm worried about is Alex Semin. He's had a hard time acclimating himself to NA and could get a few serious offers from RSL this year.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
good chance that lots of these contracts have out clauses if the nhl returns. if the nhl season starts and they refuse to come over then you have a story, but right now i just look at it as guys exploring their options.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
good chance that lots of these contracts have out clauses if the nhl returns. if the nhl season starts and they refuse to come over then you have a story, but right now i just look at it as guys exploring their options.

You are probably right for most of them. Ovechkin would probably come anyways but I haven't seem the same desire from Malkin's part. I would not be surprised if Malkin didn't come to play for the Pens next yr.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
99,99% of the players will make more money in the NHL than in any other league.

Most of the stuff is just agents trying to leverage better deals for their clients.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
I hope that Brian Burke's desire to play more offensive hockey results in Chistov getting another chance at cracking the lineup permanently. If he gets it and does nothing with it again, then so be it... but I hope he gets another shot.

Wonder Boy

Cam 'n' Cam
Mar 25, 2004
Ancaster, Ontario
The max from what I've been told is around $500,000.00

It is a scaled system based primarily on where you were selected in the draft. Bonuses still exist (including signing bonus systems <$100,000 mid-late rounds). I know one of Atlanta's kids and he's excited about the opportunity regardless of contract. It's going to be interesting to see how many 2003 & 2004's will sign and play in the AHL. With no deal between the CHL & AHL.....teams can load up. :speechles :thumbd:

Edit: I found this about the higher end of the prospect spectrum:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Ulmer/2005/06/22/1099405-sun.html

"4. The days of rookies earning more than $3 million US thanks to inflationary bonuses (a device patented by current Phoenix Coyotes general manager Mike Barnett by the way) are gone. Assuming a lightweight team lands Sidney Crosby in the draft lottery, he will receive a maximum of $1.8 million, including all salary and bonuses. With rigid entry-level controls in place, there will be no point in refusing a contract and re-entering the draft."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad